1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Sound card for music studio works "decent rig" replacing, asus STX xonar essence

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 28 Aug 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have a decent pc with a asus sound card.

I am playing with a casio px 350 and want to be able to sing into a mic and play the keyboard same time.

I have a STX sound card but Id like to lean towards having some "music studio" kit.

PCI-E 2 I think, 5 1/4 bays available

Hardware, Software recommendations?

Budget say £500 to add to an already quite decent PC rig.
    Intel core i7 2600k
    sandy bridge
    asus p8z68-v pro
    16gb
    gtx660ti

2tb sata 3 unused

2. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

It looks like you want low latency for your audio (critical for recording/live playback), so any decent soundcard will do. Windows on the other hand will not. For a proper audio environment you are either looking at Mac OS X (unlikely given you are building the PC yourself) or a low latency Linux system with JACK and various music programs. Therefore, get components that are known to work well with Linux.

I use a Asus Xonar DX, and I can get ~3ms latency using a real time kernel without cutouts. For a consumer card, that is pretty good. I was only doing playback however, so for recording at the same time you might want a beefier card.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd go external USB/FW to be honest - a Focusrite or something. Mic pre-amps sound essential, too. Is the £500 to include anything other than the audio interface?

4. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

USB generally has horrendous latency, firewire is better but you generally don't find FW ports anymore. A breakout box with a PCI-E soundcard will give the best experience, but this gear isn't often cheap. Creative and M-Audio are generally regarded as being high standard

5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The main problem with Windows tends to be if there aren't asio drivers for the card/box - though there's always 'asio for all' which will work with lots of things that only have wdm drivers.

Similarly, by using asio drivers & reducing the buffer size then the latency can be gotten down very significantly, even with non-pcie solutions.

Whilst my main purpose is slightly different, h/w wise, i've just been looking at either -

(a) Echo Audio's Echo 2 (not the Echo AudioFire 2) - which is USB...

(b) M-Audio's Audio Profire 610 A/D - which is firewire - you can use Apple's thunderbolt-to-f/w adapter cable thing with PCs if you've got t/b, or just buy a f/w pcie card...

(c) or, possibly, if i can't justify the extra cost, one of M-Audio's Audiophile cards/boxes

- which should all give enough spare cash for some half decent s/w in your situation.

(my gut atm is that, unless i spot some ridiculous bargain over the next couple of weeks, i'll go for the Echo)

s/w is personal preference though, whilst you could try demos of the cheaper (cut down) versions of Reason, Ableton, Cakewalk, Cubase, etc, it's not 100% clear if you actually need anything more than something like Audacity, which is free.

The other thing i'd potentially consider, if there's money left over, is a SSD 'if' you're using large nos of VSTs, esp large libraries, as it'll vastly improve the sample load times... ...& as a recording buffer of course.

Though if you don't have any SSDs (it's not clear from your spec) then you'd gain more by using it for the OS & programs & whatnot than for VSTs... Recording buffer usage would still be advantageous.

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have an mAudio 2496 for that job, but this is PCI only. As suggested, try a Linux with a realtime kernel. Ubuntu studio is perfect and comes will lots of creativity softwares. Just check for the supported hardware.

Thomann web site has a nice selection of soundcard (internal or external) aimed at music creation.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_interfaces1.html

PCIe audio interface are here : http://www.thomann.de/gb/cat.html?gf=pci_express_interfaces&oa=pra

An ESI maya44 XTe could be nice if you wanna go PCIe. It has headamp and +48V phantom pre-amp for you mic.

[​IMG]

The only thing you should take into account is that there's only a few music oriented PCIe sound card that are "cheap" (read below 200£). PCI interface are more common.

Since your motherboard has legacy PCI slots, I would really suggested an mAUDIO Audiophile 2496. It has low latency, it is really affordable and has native Linux support. It also has MIDI In/Out for your Casio PX-350 :thumb:

[​IMG]

Another PCI solution could be the Infrasonic QUARTET. It has great reviews : http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/proaudio/infrasonic-quartet.html

[​IMG]

Available from Thomann for £107 (VAT incl.) : http://www.thomann.de/gb/infrasonic_quartet.htm .... no I do not have positions at Thomann :D, they just are a great store for musicians :thumb:

Legacy PCI audio interface are here : http://www.thomann.de/gb/pci_audio_interfaces.html

Hope it helps a little. Good luck with picking a good one :)

- Guille -

Last edited: 29 Aug 2013
  7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Well, (and bear with me here, I'm a fairly serious music producer and have a small studio) for the applications that the OP is setting out, and we're looking at using the whole budget, I'd probably have a crack at a RME Babyface or similar (http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php), as it's an 'all in one box' solution with decent pre-amps and the like if I was buying new, dropping down to a Focusrite Saffire 2i2 (http://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/scarlett-2i2) if budget is a constraint.

Both cards have low latency (USB only really starts to become an issue above 8 channels at 24/96 in my experience) and can be used with a whole range of systems - from a notebook to a sizeable rig. The key is decent converters, which both of these interfaces have.

If you want PCI-E, the ESI maya44 XTe mentioned above is a good choice, too.

If you've got Firewire, however, I'd be tempted to track down a decent Avid Digi003 rack. Built like tanks and bloody brilliant (I've got one, and love it).

I'd echo the avoid windows advice given above - all of my production is Mac only (and if you were running a mac, I'd suggest getting an Apogee Duet (1 or 2) - they're first class. As for linux for production? That's out of my experience, sorry!

Tags: