1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Sound card interference

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lord-Vale3, 1 Feb 2011.

1. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

Hi folks I have an Asus Xonar D1, and recently I had to reinstall Windows due to hard drive problems. After I got my machine up and running again this weekend I started noticing interference on my speakers.

There is a constant 'hissing' noise coming from them, that gets louder as I increase the volume. When I type or use my mouse, I can hear interference over the speakers.

None of this occurs when I plug my speakers into my on board audio.

Also, my headset microphone does not work anymore on the card. It works fine on my other computer and I havent tried it through onboard, but it will no longer work through my FP connector or the rear headphone slot on the card.

RMA time?

I dont understand how it could work fine before and then not after reinstalling windows. Drivers are exactly the same...

2. Lord-Vale3

Playing Civ5 the game froze up a bit, there was a few graphical bugs, and then I blue-screened. What the heck is going on!?

3. russell16688

russell16688 What's a Dremel?

I have pro audio style monitors and normally that is caused by unprotected cables and the fact they are powered but if your using standard pc speakers it shouldnt be a problem.
    Does sound possibly like the sound card or driver might be at fault.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Is it PCI or PCIe? Are you overclocking?

5. Lord-Vale3

PCI. I was overclocking the CPU and RAM before reinstalling Windows, now its all back to default factory settings because OC'ing didnt actually improve anything other than benchmarks. I dont see how returning to factory settings for CPU and RAM on 1156 could cause problems with the southbridge though...

6. Deders

Deders Modder

well there could have been the possibility that the PCI bus wasn't locked down when you overclocked, making the card run at non standard speeds but if the sound quality was the same when you overclocked as it was when you brought it back down then it's probably not an issue here.

7. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Mute Line In, Auxiliary and Microphone channels (that you are not using).

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Sounds like you have monitoring enabled on one of the inputs. As JCBeaste says, mute all inputs not in use.

The If you are using the Xonar software it's easy to overlook the monitoring buttons (Small red thing by each input IIRC). (If the D1 use the same SW as the essence series)

That isn't really what's causing the noise, though. The noise is probably caused by a ground loop, but fixing that usually isn't straightforward. (It's not caused by defective equipment. It's just the fact that computers and sound equipment doesn't get along very well...)