1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Sound Card w/ 5.1 Optical Out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rofl_Waffle, 29 Dec 2010.

1. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

Well I just learned my Creative X-Fi Titanium can only output 2 channels with optical. A major kick in the balls by creative, GG not documenting anything. I would stear clear of Creative X-fi cards for different reasons too, mainly crappy drivers and limited audio quality. Now before I buy another sound card I want to make sure it can do full 5.1 over optical.

After looking at many many sound cards, I find it interesting that none of them specify on how many channels are supported through optical. I would assume 5.1 is the standard but not after my shitty Creative X-Fi card.

I have been looking at a few
    Xonar Essence STX (I don't need the headphone amp though)
    HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+

Theres also the auzentech cards which im highly unsure of, should probably avoid. They come with 3.5mm to optical adapters? How can you get 5.1 out of a single 3.5mm jack?

If you are wondering. I need to plug my computer into an audio receiver, I can't use 3.5mm jacks. It would have to be optical or coaxial.

I can get the Asus at a local store which is a huge plus since I can return it if it doesn't work. At the same time it is more expensive and I don't really need the headphone amp.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2010
  2. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

If you are outputting over digital optical or coax then I'd get the cheapest soundcard that does 5.1 optical as it's essentially the receiver that'll be doing the decoding.

Your motherboard should do optical out using the full 6 channels.

3. Rofl_Waffle

My motherboard can only do 2 channels as well. Maybe I will try updating drivers to see if that changes anything.

I qould like a card that can output 24bit 192 khz.

4. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sounds bizarre for two optical outputs to just output stereo signal? Might want to try the bit-rate-settings..

5. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Having a little read their, it appears S/PDIF in either optical or coax only supports stereo from a digital PC output unless it supports DD Live or DTS Connect.

Seems strange as I definitely had 5.1 coming through a coax cable for films when I was running my old setup which had an Asus Xonar D2.

Your video card supports bit-streaming over HDMI which would be the easiest option. Does your receiver have a HDMI input?

EDIT: What mobo do you have?

6. Rofl_Waffle

My reciever has many HDMI options but im using Display Port to the monitor. If I route Display Port to HDMI, I can't bring it back to my Display Port monitor.

But good news. After a driver update my onboard sound supports up to 5.1 at 192khz/24bit. Didn't expect that from onboard sound, to be honest I never even looked at it and just kept using my X-Fi card when I got the motherboard. It was the Realtek ALC889. Saved me some money, many thanks!

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  7. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

I'm not too familiar with display port but if your reciever supports HDMI v1.3 or higher then it should support resolutions up to 2560x1600.

Remember the output won't support 5.1 and 24/192khz at the same time. You'd be limited to stereo at that sample rate.

8. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

we have a xonar d2x that did 5.1 over optical fine, the d2 is same card but normal pci bus.

annoyingly the pci-e slot on my mobo is really noisey, and the card picked up that noise... ive heard going to digital out (i used analogue out on my pc, htpc uses digital out) would solve it.

i picked up a xonar ds or something for 20quid, that should do 5.1 over optical, and wma-pro or whatever format wmc uses

9. Rofl_Waffle

According to the options I selected, it is samping at 192khz at 5.1. I believe things start to run at lower samping at 7.1.