A/V Sound feckeries. What's going on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 30 Dec 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I had sort of found a way around this before, but I gotta be honest it wasn't ideal. However, as humans do I found a way to get what I wanted out of what I had so I just left it there.

The issue is with the sound on my computers. All of them, all four. They all display the same sort of behaviour.. I will explain it.

OK, so I have a few very high end sound cards. Asus D2X, XFI Tit HD etc. All of them display some sort of static sound when idle. Like a very, very small hiss. With music playing they are fine. The hiss disappears and I get great quality sound into my numerous amps etc. However, if I start playing a game they start buzzing and whining through the speakers/headphones really loudly. It's kinda like coil whine/buzz but all through my sodding sound. The harder you load up the GPU the louder and more irritating it becomes.

And it is not just happening on one GPU/PSU etc it happens on all of them. Ranging from a AX1200 with a Titan X to a RM 750 with a Fury X.

It also happens with my Asus Xonar U1 external USB sound card I use to power my speakers.

However, one night when experimenting I connected up my Aune T1 MK2 (valve amp/DAC) and noticed there was no interference at all. Not a single sausage. So when gaming I just switch to that, connect a set of cans and laughing, right? Well no, because now I have another problem.

My 2008 Area 51 has sat dormant for many months. Ever since I got the Titan XP it has sat on the floor looking sorry for itself with a couple of towels thrown over it to stop it filling with dust. I decided last week to connect it up to the TV for gaming (Fury X, 8 core 3.3ghz Ivy etc it's no slouch) and then actually buy a wireless controller for the first time ever. It went well, and I am using the Tit HD in there. However, I am getting bad static noise at idle. I did some tweaking and got it so I could live with it playing South Park : The Stick Of Truth, but as soon as that annoyed me (the sneaky fart bit) I decided to continue with TFBW (the second one).

And again, as soon as it loads the noise is just utterly unbearable. Like really, horribly bad. I have bought this hoping it fixes the noise but I would appreciate if some one could explain to me why this is happening, especially with the GPU under load. I will try and get a video of it later to show how life ruiningly annoying it is.

[​IMG]

2. Vault-Tec

Just read that it could be a bad ground/no ground etc. Wouldn't surprise me in this dump.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I was going to suggest that. Isolate the ground, see if that fixes it.

4. Vault-Tec

Right well the first attempt will be the cheapest. This should come tomorrow, if the Amazon guys can be arsed.

[​IMG]

I have a suspicion the Aune has one built in.

5. Vault-Tec

It works !! it actually works !

Colour me amazed. I mean, this noise was so bad you could even hear the hard drives spinning up through the speakers. Now I just need about 4 more of them lol.

6. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 It was funny when I was 12

No ground is a pretty serious safety hazard, so getting that fixed should be at the top of your priority list.

7. Vault-Tec

I can't because my landlady is ignoring me. There are 10 things at least I have written to her about and she has decided to give me the silent treatment. So it will come as no shock when she gets fined by the govt come next week. I wrote to her, gave her sufficient time and recorded it all etc etc. And she has chosen to play the silent game. Stupid cow.