1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Sound from Speakers and GPU HDMI output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jcrider, 2 Apr 2014.

1. jcrider

jcrider Minimodder

My Setup and resulting issue
    • I use normal computer speakers for gaming, which are connected via a 3.5mm jack into the motherboard.
    • I also have an AMD 5850 graphics card from which I have an HDMI cable connected to the TV in the other room.

To watch & listen to movies from the PC to the TV I need to select HDMI output 2.

The Problem

The problem is when I switch the TV to output HDMI 2, the sound device on the computer is often greyed out, resulting in me having to log off windows and then log back in again.

Screenshot below, with the HDMI device circled (in this instance the device is recognised):
    [​IMG]

Is it possible to keep this device active, or do something so it wakes when I change the TV output to HDMI 2?

Thank you in advance,

JC

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

What I used to do back when I had a TV was I set the hdmi audio to default. I disabled all other that I didn't use like the s/pdif. When the TV was off hdmi audio was not available and would default to the soundcard which was left as the only other available sound device. Alternately, depending on what media player you use for playback, you may be able to set the audio device there only and stop needing to fiddle with the audio device properties at all.

3. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

This is what I ended up doing. Plex allows you to choose which sound device to output to, and works a charm for me. Only time I have to play around with default sound output now is when I throw a game on to the tv and use an xbox controller with it, though then I also have to go through the process of changing the default screen too :sigh: