1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Sound help with FC3 please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tomm, 28 Apr 2005.

1. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Any ideas why I can't get any sounds out of my system? I'm running Fedora Core 3, Kernel is 2.6.11, KDE version 3.3. I've had fun editing my fstab, and now all my drives mount themselves nicely, so that's one thing out of the way. Apart from that I'm a total noob. I think I don't have MP3 codecs yet so I can't play any of my MP3s (How would I go about fixing this?). But I can open audio CDs in KsCD and they look as though they play, but no sound comes out. Volume controls are all on, nothing's muted. The system recognises my sound card (and the test sound works), and I get sounds from gaim (MSN client), and random beeps when I do something wrong, but nothing I want!

Basically, I want my MP3s and CDs to play.

Thankyou :)

EDIT: I just downloaded Real Player (*shudders*) because that seemed like a very easy way to do things, and now my MP3s play. Does the end justify the means? I'm not sure. But anyway, at least it works. But what about playing CDs? And can anyone recommend a good MP3 player? I can't fault Winamp (2) for windows, but I haven't been able to find the Linux version. As I'm a total noob, the only stipulation is that it MUST be easy to install, or have damn good instructions :)

Last edited: 28 Apr 2005
  2. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

You may be pleasently suprised to learn that Real Player for Linux is actually a very good peice of software. So the ends do justify the means. I use amaroK which is very good. you can also try rhthmnbox as well as xmms.

Not sure how FC3 installs stuff so I dont know about easy to install. I assume it has a package management system if it does then use that and its easy. If not make sure you have the dependancies installed.

3. Tomm

OK, I know what the problem is. Apparently, KsCD uses the analogue audio cable (you know, the one lazy people don't bother attaching :wallbash: ) instead of the IDE one. But you avid readers will be pleased to know that I have another problem:

Rather than simply installing the cable, I thought it would be easier to install a different program. Apparently XMMS uses the IDE interface so that should work. As should MPlayer/totem blah blah blah. Anyway, I have downloaded all these files and when I try to install them, they all tell me that I need some libraries or something.

So I downloaded the Glib tar and unpacked it, and this happened.
    Code:
     [root@localhost glib-1.2.10]# ./configure
    creating cache ./config.cache
    checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether build environment is sane... yes
    checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
    checking for working aclocal... missing
    checking for working autoconf... missing
    checking for working automake... missing
    checking for working autoheader... missing
    checking for working makeinfo... missing
    checking host system type... configure: error: can not guess host type; you must specify one

Is this what I should be doing? I'm not really sure. In fact I have no idea what I'm doing, please be kind :)

4. Go4t

Go4t i

seems kinda like you dont have the development tools installed
    isnt there an rpm for glib anyways?

5. Tomm

Help me. I've been looking for a suitable rpm for ages but I don't really understand what I'm looking for. Any of the tarballs seem to fail on me(see code above), no idea why.

Also, I'm using KDE, do I even need Glib?

6. Renko

Renko What's a Dremel?

Tags: