1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sound output A/B switch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nanosec, 1 May 2009.

1. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

OKay all,
    I used to have one of these simple desktop switches that i could swap from speakers to headphones with a push of a button. I can't seem to find one anywhere, in person or on the net.

Any links you could provide would be awesome.

Nanosec

p.s. btw, the idea for the mod will be to either use the guts from the switch, or build my own circuit, to have a front mounted switch to do the swap, hard wiring it to my sound card from inside the case. Any help or ideas on that would be most welcome as well.

:dremel:

2. OmegaX

OmegaX What's a Dremel?

I would say if its just a headphone jack and not 5.1 get 3 female 3.5mm jacks, a DPDT switch and some wire. Wire the ground from the IN jack to both the headphone and the speaker jacks. Next wire the left channel from the IN jack to the common (should be one of the center pins on the switch). Do the same for the right channel but wire it to the other center post. On the side the left channel is wired to wire one lead to the speaker jack and the other post to the headphone. Do the same for the right channel. if you really wanted to you could switch the grounds between the two but its probably not necessary.

basically do the same thing in this instructable, but only need to use 1, not all 3
    http://www.instructables.com/id/35mm_51_Surround_Sound_Switch_Splitter_Box/?ALLSTEPS

Last edited: 3 May 2009
  3. Nanosec

Nanosec absit iniuria verbis

Thanks, i checked out the website, seems simple enough. Now i just need to go get some parts.

thanks

:dremel: