1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Sound Problems With X-Fi Extreme

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by AthlonAl, 30 Jan 2014.

1. AthlonAl

AthlonAl What's a Dremel?

Been having a wierd problem which started when ripping cd's. I found a couple of discs which when played with media player sounded all garbled/barely audible (as though your nighbours 2 doors away was having a party)! Initially I thought it was a copy protection problem.
    Thinking I might have a driver problem all was checked and found up to date.
    I have on board audio disabled on the Gigabyte GAZ77XUD5H but found I had audio enabled on the GTX 660 2GB graphics and my X-Fi Extreme soundcard, so I disabled the sound on the graphics cards and found no change. Enabling sound on the motherboard and disabling the soundcard and everything was fine again. (taking audio from motherboard)
    The problem had got worse and the strange thing was that certain ripped music would play ok and some wouldn't - always the same tracks?
    Some of my music is recorded as wav files and some are different bit rates of wma files although I forgot to check the file types of the none playable ones! (job for later)
    Anyone else come across a similar problem? None of the kit is more than 6 months old!

Alan

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the X-Fi drivers ? I stopped using Creative sound cards due to driver issues, but that is what I'd do first.

Does it happen with all media player softwares (Windows Media Player, VLC, etc.) ?

3. AthlonAl

AthlonAl What's a Dremel?

Must admit I didn't try a reinstall, although any player would give same result!

Alan