1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound Quality-biased card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IsaacSibson, 31 Oct 2002.

1. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Ok, this is an interesting one.

At present I have a first-time around sound blaster live Value 512 (as in from the very first series of the live).

Now, what I want is a soundcard that puts sound quality above all else. I'm not interested in multiple channels, dolby 5.1 or dts or any of that.

I'm not interesting in making recordings or music editing either.

Literally all I want is the best quality sound output, so that my computer isn't so completely shamed by my CD player when both play through the hifi.

And last of all....reasonable price. £100 or so, and not much more. What is there?

2. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

the Audigy series are nice... even the newer 5.1 cards are nice especially if you get the platinum with the live drive and have the optical/digital out on them....

not sure about other brands as I've always had a sound blaster.... my first sound card was a sound blaster at that........ SB 16 ISA!!!! it owned :p

3. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

Hmmm.... Well I've owned about every single major regular PC manufacture soundcard there is.

Creative
    Hercules
    Philips
    Turtle Beach
    Aureal

What your asking for in that price range you may not be able to find. Basically you want something that sounds like a Delta but at regular price.

1. Turtle Beach is nice and doesn't cost all that much. People seem to think it has a more true to life sound than most cards.

2. Audigy series is nice; problems galore though. The new series is better but there still is some minor bugs. I am very pleased with my Audigy 2 despite this.

3. Philipsk great cards; regularly updated drivers. However, the two cards I've owned (it's been awhile) I can't remember how well they sounded compared to what I've had recently.

4. Terratec great for music and movies. My favorite card of their's is the DMX6 Fire. However, it is out of your price range. I don't know that much about their other cards.

Honestly the issue is with DACS. You will have to shop around and see what DACS are on the cards in your price range. The Turtle beach I know is 20 bit, Audigy 24, and Philips I don't have a clue.

There is one card that is a bit out of what your looking to spend but it might do the job.

http://www.audiotrak.net/eng/prodigy.html

4. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

The Prodigy is a nice card but $149??? I guess it's true that you get what you pay for.

I personally love my Audigy. I've never had the first minutes trouble out of it (KNOCK ON WOOD) and the sound that comes out of it is awesome. I don't have a 5.1 setup YET, but it sounds awesome over my old cheap MidiLand 2.1 speakers and even better through my new Aiwa headphones. I would personally have to reccommend the Audigy. You can get the OEM ones pretty cheap now.:D

5. olv

olv he's so bright

nothing wrong with a good £10 Creative AudioPCI :D

6. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

I have a SB Audigy Gamer and I love it. It sounds great and it's beautiful with it's shiney black PCB board too...for all those who have windows in their case.

7. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

A SB 128 still puts my cd player to shame.:D
    (Maybe that's cos I have a crap CD player through a crap amp)

8. SilverBullet

SilverBullet Banned

my SB 4.1 Digital,still sounds better than my £250 hi-fi :D

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

No more suggestions of SB 4.1s or silly things like that please. My hifi (Marantz CD-63, PM-66SE and B&W DM602 speakers) quite resoundingly kicks my computer's a$$, and I'm curious as to redressing the balance. It only has to act as a source component to the hifi, but presently it is very lacking.

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

dont get a creative, cause as we all know they lie about their sound card quality...but apart form that their ook...

if i was you, id pick up a terratec DMX 6 fire LT...i bought one a couple of weeks ago, and sound quality wise its soo much better then my creative...

also it can be had for 102pounds...:idea:

http://www.terratec.co.uk/ttuk/products.htm

11. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Get the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or the Terratec DMX6Fire24/96 they both cost around £130-£150.

Get the tunes pumping out in real 24bit dont get any creative card because of there 'software' 24bit crap.

Oh and Asio (Winamp Only) ;)

12. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Kevo- The M-Audio is almost EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Thanks to all who replied.

13. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

M-Audio Audiphile 24/96 is a very very nice card (used one at work for a short time) and it was good, though I'm still unsure about its driver support for XP. The DMX Fire cards from Terratec are good as well, but all the people who came in and wanted to do music production with Cubase and the like on a fairly serious nature mostly opted for the Audiophile 24/96.

I'd buy one myself given the £££, my Sonic Fury is a nice card but it doesn't come close for sound quality (though that does depend on the speakers, up to a certain level. Most people would be better upgrading their speakers before sound card, though with B&Ws its probably the other way round!)

:)