1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Soundcard for relaying an FM radio stream to internet radio?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Death Reaper, 2 Aug 2004.

1. Death Reaper

Death Reaper What's a Dremel?

What would be the ideal soundcard to produce the best quality possible from an FM stream to a program like simplecast that encodes the music and sends it off to a shoutcast server?

I thought I'd ask here since you guys all know about these things and everywhere else I have asked nobody knows :(

Also, what additional accessories (IE: cords or something) would they need to connect the stream to the soundcard?

Regards,

2. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

one word bub. Illegal.

3. Death Reaper

It's not illegal, I did not ask for your comments on broadcasting to the internet, I asked for advice on soundcards. Now if you don't have any advice on soundcards, I suggest you stop spamming and leave.

Regards,

4. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Actually... before you start being insulting, and a jerk in general.. You may wish to consider that the recording and/or redistribution of Music or Radio, contraviens Copyright and Licencing laws, I assume you do not own the copyright for the audio transmitted over FM, nor do you have permission from the copyright holder to record or distribute the audio on any form.

So, yeh.. it is illegal.. why the heck do you think people have been sued by the RIAA.

5. penski

penski BodMod

Behave, ladies.

What is your FM source?

You are going to require something to convert it back into a 'usable' signal - my initial though would be to use a home HIFI receiver and put the lineout from that into the linein of the soundcard.

Unfortunately, unless you have the associated permissions, such distribution of copyrighted material is illegal.

*n

6. Death Reaper

The music and licensing is not my concern, that will be taken care of, I do not need your opinions on it.

This is for an FM radio station in Peru that wants to offer their radio stream online as well. The source would be from the actual station.

Anyway, are there any suggestions on what soundcard to use? I am looking at the EMU that I have read is pretty good, but any suggestions would be nice.

Regards,

7. renato

renato What's a Dremel?

Please behave

This is for a legal FM station on Lima Peru with all the permissions needed and if this station dont have all those, they will solve them legally. So don't worry about that issues.
    And to give you some more legal peace (siblings of judge dredd). Most, if not all, of the content in this radio station are spoken programs made by themselves in live.

Please will it be possible to recieve a feedback on the required hardware posted in here please?

and thanks penski for the answer. Please can you give us more feedback?

Last edited: 2 Aug 2004
  8. penski

penski BodMod

I don't think there is actually a product to do this.

Where are you hoping to stream from? Onsite?

If you are hoping to stream directly from the radio station then there are far cheaper and easier ways of doing so.

If that were the case, I would take an output direct from the mixing desk and put it into a standard, decent-quality soundcard (Terratec or M-Audio to suit your budget) in a decently-specced PC and stream from there.

If you are streaming from offsite then I would again use the same soundcard and PC but use an external FM Receiver to give you a suitible signal to go into the soundcard. If you are doing things this way, you may wish to use a large external arial to guarentee quality of signal.

*n

9. renato

renato What's a Dremel?

Directly from the mixer

I guess we can work directly from the mixing desk.

The main issue is that we are programmers so this is completely new for us.

I will seek more info on the cards you are speaking of.

A decent PC may be PIV 2.4 1GB RAM and 7200 RPM HDD? or we need more?

We will be converting the sound into bytes locally then sending this to a webserver outside the radio offices and is from there where we want to broadcast the signal on the web

10. Death Reaper

All I need the soundcard (and the program: Simplecast) is to take the feed and Simplecast will take the feed input from the soundcard and encode it to send to the server, the server will then take care of the listeners. All that is fine, just the connection between the FM feed and the Computer as well as a good soundcard. Thank you for that suggestion, we will look into it :D

Regards,

11. penski

penski BodMod

No problem - like I said, I would just take a line out from the mixing desk, it will be the simplest way to do things. You should be able to stream anywhere from there.

*n

12. Joshwah

Joshwah Minimodder

I've no idea about the streaming part but soundcard wise I can advise the Edirol UA-5, which is a great external soundcard it can do upto 24bit 96kHz which will be more than adequate im guessin for streaming radio.

Its got balanced jack and xlr in to run out of the desk your using. I dont no what outboard you run at your station but it also has co-ax and optical in and out which may be an easier method of connectivity.

I no there are cards by M-Audio and Edirol which have AES-EBU on them which may be useful if you run a digital desk, but with radio I doubt it will make that much difference.

I use the card for recording live stuff onto my laptop amongst other things and it's great.

Hope thats of some help. :thumb:

13. Death Reaper

Thanks! Lots of info, We'll check them out.

Regards,