1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Soyo P4I Fire Dragon

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by linear, 22 Jul 2002.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

[​IMG]

That looks a brilliant idea for bolt-down sinks, surprised now I've seen it that nobody's selling it - bet there's some on the market soon ;)

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Sooooo nice, great review lin :D

r.

4. Angel_of_Death

Angel_of_Death What's a Dremel?

1st of all that was a damn fine review Linear, of course i'd say that since i have that MB! But isn't the molex connector near the AGP slot for the onboard firewire and not for the AGP slot?

I'd also like to say i didn't even know about the built in fanbus! Ok, you can stop laughing now!

And last, i can't wait to get my new Gainward 750XP i'm sure it'll look sweet with this board. And to anybody out there who is thinking on puchasing this mb, it's the best board i've seen in a long time, so buy it cause' you'll be impressed!

AoD :dude:

5. Angel_of_Death

btw cpemma, if you're wanting this board go to www.chillblast.com, they've been selling them since they came out (that's where i got mine). :D

6. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Man I love Soyo, they sure do some fantastic boards and this is yet another fine example! They are starting to get pretty popular around here too if you have a look around H&O!;)

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

damn thats sexeh...... must get one....... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    *drools*

8. linear

linear Minimodder

Well, you made me go back and look it up. And the answer is: I'm still not sure. The manual refers to the connector as "peripheral power," so you could certainly be correct. The thing that has me scratching my head is why would that connector be literally right on top of the AGP slot?

Let me research this a little further.

9. Mat-d-Rat

Mat-d-Rat Drive it to the edge baby

You woman!! That's exaclty the kind of thing my wife would say if I asked her what she though of a car..."Like the colour!!"

Nice review... really does tempt me to the buy new!!

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It's not for extra power to an AGP pro card is it? I've read stuff about normal AGP slots with molex's being for this.

Although my informants could have been lying to me....:D

11. jamiesurfs

Yeah, my guess is that it is for AGP Pro as well, or at least that is what I always thought it was there for! Mind you, my Dragon+ has an AGP Pro slot but there is no molex connector on the board, so maybe it is for something else!

12. GreatOldOne

I believe a 'proper' agp pro slot (which is longer than a normal AGP slot) has the extra power fed to the extra pins it has. Hence no need for the molex.

13. jamiesurfs

Yeah, just thinking on that! Doesn't the voltage change when you remove the little plastic bung thingy from the end of the slot so that it can take an AGP Pro card?:idea:

14. GreatOldOne

Ummm - dunno. I guess the current is always there, and the plastic bung just protects the extra pins. You'd take the bung out for the AGP pro card, which may (or may not) have an extra set of contacts that would slide into them.

I'm sure this link would answer everything, so those with enquiring minds, read on!:D

15. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

woooo wot a MB i need a new one i just put my old one in a flightcase for a classic lan flight-case-mod this looks grate any idear how many fans the on board fan bus controls u probly covered this in the review but i aint goot a nuff tim to read all the words.........

this wood look real nice in my upcoming case mod and its massive window

dont ask me to poast any pics sorry but there gonna be articles over at moddin.net soon as i have the money to finsh them that is...................

my spelling is bad cos i have dislexer so dont take the p*ss

16. flibble666

flibble666 sorry i am dyslexic

amd`ers accross this board

the amd versions
    =====================
    SY-KT333 DRAGON Ultra (Platinum Edition)
    =========
    have support for usb 2.0 (4 ports 2Xfront 2Xback)
    and
    DDR 333

===========
    yep as u guessed by the name this babys Platinum colo(u)red
    hers the pic of the board and more info
    can be found here
    ==========
    the Sigma Box box with this version has a Compact Flash/Smart Media and the usb ports are 2.o versions loovy
    mroe on that can be found here

not sure this has firewire(i-link)(IEEE 1394)

Last edited: 23 Jul 2002
  17. Angel_of_Death

I'm not still not sure but really do think its for the onboard firewire so you can power internal/external devices eg. Firewire HD's/ Apple I-pod. All i know is i have a firewire card in another rig that has a molex connector, also i think the reviewer at tweaker's australia said that's what it's for..............ooooo mystery!

p.s. i'd also like to say i got my Gainward 750XP GS today and it kicks ass! It also looks damn fine with the P4I Fire Dragon!

(oh, also none of the other soyo boards have this molex connector)

18. jamiesurfs

Been checking this problem out and it would appear that it is definitely for the AGP Pro slot:

The connector is also on the KT333 Dragon Ultra Platinum edition which doesn't have onboard Firewire, indicating that it cannot be for this, and further confirming its use in supplying extra power for AGP Pro!;)

19. linear

linear Minimodder

Cheers jamiesurfs.

I reasoned that if you were trying to supply extra current for a device, you'd do it as close to the device as possible. And that is as close to the AGP slot as can be got.

[​IMG]

20. Angel_of_Death

ok ok, stop pickin' on me. Yes i'm sure you're right, but does anyone here know of any AGP pro cards? I've never seen one before, why are they so rare?

Tags: Add Tags