1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ArtificialHero, 10 Mar 2008.

1. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Hey all,

I'm after a nice set of 2.1 speakers for my desktop/360. My requirements are:

- Great sound quality
    - Great looking (I like black)
    - Multiple inputs (at least 2)
    - Remote control

Price isn't really an issue - the Logitech Z5450s are perfect for my needs and within my budget, but they're 5.1 and a 5 speaker setup just isn't practical or portable enough for my needs, and I'm not bothered about surround.

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas you guys have!

AH

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

It sounds like either hi-fi components or some active monitors would be better suited to your needs than a PC setup, but without a budget its tough to recommend anything. Price is always an issue, unless you have a 7 figure sum to part with that is.

3. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Well of course, my point was that it's unlikely that a 2.1 computer speaker setup will be dearer than the Z5450s, which has an RRP of around £200. I'm tempted by the M-Audio LX4 StudioPhiles, but as you say, another option is to pick up an amp and some speakers, and it's a route I might go down.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Don't be a stranger to second hand. Active monitors and hifi are going to be around 1/2 the price of new.

£200 would go probably further with active speakers than going for an integrated amp + passive speakers. Not heard the studiophiles, but I'm a fan of Tannoy's Reveal series, though unfortunately they're not black. A bit more, say £300, would buy a pretty nice hifi setup second hand.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I don't mean to pimp other people's threads, but I've seen Active monitors for sale somewhere round here...