1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Speakers needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harveypooka, 22 May 2009.

1. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I've had two pairs of Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers but after a while they develop a hiss and the subwoofer starts humming like a bee.

So, it's time to get some new speakers. But I'm not an audiophile - I just like great sounding speakers.

I'm not really sure where to start as I literally haven't looked at any other speakers apart from my MX5021s. I listen to a range of music - from ambient to rock - and play a lot of games. Clarity is more important than volume.

Any suggestions?

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

what is you budget?

3. harveypooka

MX5021's retail for about £80 now.

I'd say maximum about £150.

I was hoping to get some Klipsch speakers but I cannot find anywhere in the UK that sells them!

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

5. harveypooka

Read a couple reviews, ordered!

Thanks. I'll post up what I think when I get them tomorrow. :)

6. bagman

bagman Minimodder

tomorrow? quick psostage or what it is saturday tomorrow

7. harveypooka

Ok, received this morning from eBuyer - subwoofer has a nice big dent on the side where it's been crushed!

Other than that, build quality of the speakers is excellent, really solid. Cables are again great quality, not thin wire that you get with most. As for the sound quality I can't make my mind up. They're very clear - possibly a little too much. They sound like studio speakers or monitors in the sense that they separate out everything, the sound doesn't feel as if it "comes together".

However, I'll let them bed in. I'll keep playing stuff over the next day or so and see if the sound improves. They're not bad at all - I just think that I preferred my Altec's. A shame that the build quality of them is trash.

8. bagman

bagman Minimodder

post those speakers back if it has a dent on the side and ask for another which hasn't been crushed, other wise if your speakers do break you can't rma them as they will think you made a hole in the side of your speakers

9. harveypooka

Yeah, I will. But I'll have a listen first to see if I should get a refund or a replacement! A bit unethical I know, but hey....

I kind of like their clearness though, can't decide... :S

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

try setting up your speakers in different ways like the two chanels close together and then far apart and move the sub from the ground or to a desk or as far away from the speakers as possible experiment more that should help you decided

11. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am amazed that they have a big dent in the, a friend of mine has them and there are really solid!

12. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I have got those speakers and love them. I am also surprised that the sub is dented as it is really quite sturdy.

Only one little niggle; the bass distorts at very loud volumes, but as I don't play my music too loudly too often it is fine.

13. harveypooka

It's crushed on the side. :(

However, after a day or so of listening, I've come to like them. They are different to my Altec's - not better or worse - just different.

It's quite odd moving from one set of speakers to another after 4/5 years!

I have a niggle: I'm used to plugging my headphones in a control pod on the desk with the Altec's, but I have no option with these. Do you guys know of a decent control pod?

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

these speakers (like any decent speakers) need a little while to warm up, i'd say i wasnt hearing the full sound until maybe 3 days fairly solid use.

they can be a little bright, but at this price range and this size there really is no competitive product

i have to say im very very happy with mine, my music collection never sounded so good!

(get that sub sent back though)

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

you can always make your own like make one on your 5'25 drive bay, i think cpc did a article on it

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Could you elaborate on their sound ?

I was picking between the Aego M's and same Altec Lansing's as you and went for the latter ultimately.

Was just curious as to how you found they differed.

17. harveypooka

I played a range of stuff - NiN, Kronos Quartet, The Shins, John Vanderslice, Godspeed!, Stars of the Lid, Tom Waits.

At times the Altec's felt like they created a better (not exactly sure what you call it - imaging?) sound - it appeared as if it was in front of you, rather than from the speakers. The Aego's can (at times) lose a little bit of that, they tend to separate out the sound, losing a bit of warmth that the Altec's have. But, at the same time, they make up for that in terms of clarity. They are super sharp. I suppose they could be compared to monitors at times, they recreate the sound but with little warmth.

The Aego's aren't as loud as the Altec's either. The Altec's can go much, much louder and don't distort, but compared to the Aego's, the sound can get a little (and I mean a little) murky. The Aegos' also handle a range of sound better - there isn't much crossover or murkiness. I guess you could say bright, like Crompers said.

It's weird, trying to define the sound the two make. Some artists - like Vanderslice that aren't too bassy - you can't tell much of a difference.

Overall I think I'll prefer the Aego's with time. They are so damned clear, but the Altec's are a close second.

18. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

well i listen to a lot of messy dirty metal, so the clarity is welcome :)

as with all speakers its a matter of personal taste and the type of music you listen to on them, have a play with the EQ if you're not sure about the sound

19. harveypooka

Ok, I've had them for a while now and I definitely like them. However, the lack of headphone port is a bit annoying. My old Altec's had a control pod that sat on your desk. You plug in your 'phones, it cuts the sound from the speakers and away you go - same volume headphoneage.

It doesn't sound like much, but I have to reach down under the desk, plug in the headphones to the computer, change the volume settings, and sometimes (depending on whether OS X or Vista is a bitch) change the sound output. I'm constantly doing this throughout the day and I'd rather not have to - I need some different speakers!

Any suggestions on some other speakers with a control pod thing? Life is hard, eh? :p

20. bagman

bagman Minimodder