1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Spec me a Gaming PC = £700

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quattro D, 4 Jun 2010.

1. Quattro D

Quattro D What's a Dremel?

btw how about the 500gb samsumg f3 instead, they seem to be pretty decent from some of the reviews I'm reading here and elsewhere

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

See if you can get by with this case : http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=31

[​IMG]

i can give you this Coolermaster RC-331 Elite Black case for free.

I had a core i7 gaming computer in it a whlie back its boxed collecting dust (How can it be collecting dust in a box lol).

London and herts.. no charge at all no problem, maybe if you post back images of your system and do a report on the build so others can learn from your experience ?

Can meet in a public place only, like a main train station ? or some thing like that, if your young bring your dad or mom or what ever.

cheers

rainbow.

Ps: Ill have to actually go look in the box but it should all be there including blanking plates, hopefully.

Last edited: 5 Jun 2010
  3. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Ok, the £40 you've saved from the free case puts you £20 under budget.

With that, you buy the Samsung F3 disk (I didn't choose it because it cost more :D) and use the Corsair 650TX power supply.
    If you can still afford £20-30 over budget (cmon :p) buy a nice cpu cooler

4. Quattro D

Well I might take you up on that offer! Thanks but I live up north so I dont think I would be able to pick it up, although how much would it cost to post?

5. Quattro D

well if you get an i5 I guess it would be rude not to :thumb: since you can overclock the pants off them

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

dont you have any one down here that is coming up to you any time soon?

post is going to outweigh the case, its a £25 case, its actually a good option for you?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Coolermaster-RC-331-Elite-Black-Silver-Midi-Tower-Case-w-o-PSU

If the case is no good to you, Im going to put it in the market place here (free etc) should be being used by a student or some one that would appericate it in fact Ill only let it go to a student.

I need to get it down and do a check over of it, Ill do it tommorow and post in the market place.

rb

7. Quattro D

Anyone else what to throw in any freebies :D *cough* hd 5870 *cough*

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

what games do you want to play on it quattro?

Any one know if you can play cs source on a nvs 440, I should have one in the near future.

9. Quattro D

Well not atm but I may have an interview in Birmingham in a few weeks time but its probabily best to just leave it and sell it on the forum

But I do appreciate the help and I am a student btw :D

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I have three bets you could use to turn your money into more.

yuri foreman to beat cotto tonight.
    pat barry to beat cro cop ufc 115
    rich franklin to beat chuck ledel ufc 115

I have £900 on those fights collectively, I like my combat sports bets, pushed the boat out this month not going to do it again.

The pat barry fight is ment to be the most dependable amoungst those that know (those people look to me for advice lol), check oddschecker.com for more info.

Remember betting could result in the loss of every thing and your underpants.

11. Quattro D

ok as for games I play fps games

BFBC2, Fallout 3, l4d and older source games etc, gta 4,

and a couple of rts, (awaitng starcraft 2)

12. Quattro D

I used to watch ufc and all of that stuff but I've got exams now etc :sigh: I do a bit of martial arts myself you see so I find it especially interesting

As for betting that much amount of money, well put it this way I like my underpants a brown free zone

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I hope every thing works out perfect for you new pc, dont rush any thing and ebay can lower some costs? just a sugestion?

14. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Isn't the i7 920 only about 20 quid more than that i5?

--edit-- oh nevermind, the motherboards are more expensive

Last edited: 6 Jun 2010
  15. Quattro D

its out of my budget I'm afraid if you take into account the entire platform its too expensive cpu, ram and mb

16. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Yeah. I think the RAM is still the same, but it's about £20 more for the CPU, and then about 90 more for the motherboard :( So it really adds up.

17. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Then again, you are growing towards a more expensive platform here. :)
    There's no doubt that the i5 750 is an awsome CPU, but it costs a heck of a lot more than the previous suggestions here as well.

Why not then:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 - 119,78
    4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 PC3-10666 - 94,99
    1GB XFX HD5850 - 248,37
    Asus M4A88TD-V EVO, AMD 880G - 87,41
    550W Corsair CMPSU-550VXUK - 69,96
    1TB Samsung HD103SJ F3 - 54,84
    total: £675,32

And from this build, you can save quite a penny if you decide on a few different components. Motherboard is almost 90 quid, which you could reduce to 70 or so.
    Then the CPU, which again could be a PhII/Athlon x2, and again saved a few tens of pounds.

For example: the PhII 555 is £85, while the Athlon 250 is £53. Putting the Athlon in the initial build will immediately set you back to only £610. Change the mobo for something cheaper, and get under £600.

All depends on how much realistically you have to stay in the budget, and if you stay under, is it really beneficial or not.
    As well as getting a cheap yet good gaming cpu now, you can upgrade later easily due to AM3 and 8xx chipset.

Of course, if you say you want to really spend £700, then it's a different story. Then we'll won't care of the initial savings and can more easily recommend a build as well.

Edit: Put the Athlon 250, and switch teh 5850 for a 5870 and you're still within your budget :)

18. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

The problem is that by compromising on some areas you lose out on others, and having a superfast graphics card may not be helpful if you're running a slow processor.

Here are some benchmarks from Anandtech between the two processors:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Prod....32.33.34.35.43.50.36.37.38.39.40.41.42.44.45

As you can see, the i5 wins out in almost everything, and costs roughly the same price.

The only thing to worry about would be future upgradability.

In fact, the only reason your setup is any different in price to the one I picked is because you left out both the case and the optical drive.

19. Quattro D

I had thought about the AM3 route, it may also be a tad bit cheaper too, I also like the idea of AM3 platform being supported for years to come and that the amd Bulldozer cpu will appaerently be compatable.

but I would probably avoid dual cores esp athlon II

but just a few things:

I dont really need 1tb drive, only 500gb

However if there are more notable gains in speed with the 1tb version then I might be go with it.

20. Quattro D

AFAIK the 5850 can be overclocked to the levels of a 5870 so I think I will give the 5870 a miss, even if its a beast of a card