1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Spec me ear plugs

Discussion in 'General' started by silk186, 25 Aug 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

My wife is working odd hours and has a lot of trouble sleeping. If I open a door are people make noise on the street as she is about to fall asleep she have to give up. She is pretty small and standard earplugs don't fit.

Where can I get so good earplugs that will fit perfectly and be comfortable and stay in while sleeping?

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees is not The Piper at The Gates of Dawn

Last time I worked nights, I used squishy foam ones from Boots. They worked well and you can still buy similar.

3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

The key with squishy ones is to roll & squish them between your fingers until all the spring is gone and they look "shriveled". Then put them quickly into the ear canal (not too far obviously!) and then let them puff back up to get a nice tight fit. Should be a one size fits all solution but I guess you could trim them for length if they stick a long way out of the ear and get knocked during sleep.

I'm sure boots would carry them but at extreme mark-up. Try screwfix or anyone else selling PPE as on every industrial site I've visited they have them by the bucket full so they must cost pennies each.

Edit: Just saw this on screwfix, might do what you want?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-sy330-23db-custom-moulded-corded-ear-plugs/69698

Mr_Mistoffelees and silk186 like this.
  4. silk186

silk186 Derp

She has tried the regular foam ones, and they are made for adult males. We tried a few brands before and they are too tight and don't stay in.
    the moulded style sounds interesting. My dad works in a steel distributor with laser cutters and gets a new pair every year. I'm wondering if I can get something similar in the UK.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

I'm a light sleeper: a pair of these has allowed to me sleep through gale force winds while camping, at night during Burning Man...

The problem you may have is that you end up sleeping through your alarm clock.

6. Xlog

Xlog Active Member

If you can afford - for fit&comfort nothing beats custom made ones (with mold a pair should be ~£100). The "self made" custom ones are hit&miss.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

I ordered 4 different sets off Amazon, including the pink version of these. Hopefully, one of them will work
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If they don't, I will need to look into the custom moulded type.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Let us know which ones you find works best.

My wife uses them for sleeping. (she's been using them since boarding school, so it's not just me) She seems to be happy with anything other than cheapest ones. She re-uses airline premium economy ones for weeks.

If you can find good branded ones, I think it's worth a try for us.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Has any heard of a ultimateear? They offered a custom moulded earplug that is £75.00 + £30 for the first mould and a 1-year guarantee.
    This is the type of service I think I will end up using eventually.
    [​IMG]
    SnugsZen is another option but it's £159.95

Tags: