1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spelltower updated 6/16

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Draeth1, 23 May 2005.

1. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

The glue on the back supports are finally dry and load bearing now, I love JB Weld
    When I clamped the parts in apparently the psu brace was moved up a little and I can't slide the psu in from the back now. No problem there because I can either add it in from the side or just file down some of the top so its accessible.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know why that psu mount doesn't look straight but the bubble level says everything is fine. Not sure why I'm getting that optical illusion.
    All I need now is a spot to mount the pump and I'm good to a test fill.
    After I get back from my in-laws in St. Louis I'll start working on the back covering and the pieces to go over the res's (ugh I'm dreading that, first time working with sculpey).
    I tested out a piece of my sheet styrene on one of the sides and it is extremely flexible I'll have to cut a piece of lexan/acrylic to see if that adds any strength to it or not.

Oh yeah, that isn't the PSU thats going in there, its just my test one that I keep at my workbench.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2005
  2. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Haven't done much since I got back monday night, started making the radiator shroud for this odd sized rad I've got. Should have it glued together and possibly started the seam filling on it today.
    I took a note pad with me over the weekend and came up with some ideas for designs.
    1. I'm going to go with UV and white leds and have them shine onto the base unit. On the base unit I'm going to paint the same rune circle or another one (if I find one that looks better) in clear uv paint so it only shows when the uv leds are shining on it.
    2. I might completely cover the res's with some styrene and just cut some designs in it to see the water. I need to actually make this to see if I'll like it. Still might do the sculpey thing.
    3. Instead of dome or spikes I might try some flat head socket cap screws if I can get it threaded into 1/8" aluminum. Just to keep the outside smooth. Only problem I see with these is that the thickness of the taper on the head is thicker than the styrene and aluminum put together. I'll probably try the dome nuts first when I get to that point.

3. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

hey
    looks like a GREAT mod, great concept and looks pretty damn good too!
    small gripes tho: on the front, theres a bit of rust on the L section, SAND IT OFF!! sand it off and then apply some oil to it just to keep it in check before you paint it or whatever.
    also where you've got those braces holding the PSU and the radiator in place, i would definetly reccomend you try to make those into one smaller section, so that where the PSU sits, its in one section, getting rid of that vertical support between it and the rad. also where you've got the supports connecting, definetly use a nut and bolt through them both to give them some extra support.
    fantastic mod tho!

4. mcbeckel

mcbeckel What's a Dremel?

looking great. what are you going to cover it with?

5. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Since this was scrap steel for the support there is a bit of rust, but don't worry once I get everything mocked up then I'll sand and file it down good before I prime and paint it.
    What do you mean one smaller section? The small area inbetween the two will be used for a fanbus as I have planned right now. I also wanted some space inbetween the rad and psu so it doesn't heat up my water a little.
    As of now it will be covered in the same 1/16" sheet styrene I made the base out of with some acrylic behind it for the cuts I'm making. Hopefully the acrylic with give it enough strength otherwise I'll be ordering some 1/8" ABS for the side panels.

6. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

Maybe because the radiator is mounted a little angled. Nice mod so far, I like it :thumb: .

7. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

oo..rite. sory!
    how bout making that one big section still, and mounting the PSU perpendicular to the mobo tray, that way will also act as an exhaust too(if its a dual fan psu, cant tell really)!
    whats the spec of the maching? it really is a great work!great base tho! fantastic finish.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Just a curiosity, but how did you connect all the steel together? I'm seeing pop rivets in some places, it seems, and the words of JB weld came out earlier. :) I just want to know because you've done a great job so far and I'm curious about how to frame things up for some of my own future projects. Can you give a little step-by-step of how you made the frame?

9. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

The psu going in there will only be 1x in and 1x out for fans. I tried it out with it parallel to the mobo plate before I glued everything together but it came really close to the radiator and made it a little unbalanced due to some being close to the center. I'm trying to spread out the weight so it sits properly on the base. The weight in the back will be balanced out by the drives and res's in the front.
    I might be putting a layer of bondo fiberglass jelly on the base just to strengthen it some. I clipped the side yesterday and some broke off :( so some stronger bondo is needed.

The specs won't be as spectacular as the case since I'm not in an upgrade phase right now.
    NF7-s, 2600 mobile, 1 gig corsair 3200, and a 6800nu. It runs everything that I need it to so I can wait for prices to drop to get a 64 and pci-e

10. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Sure thing, the main structure was done with pop rivets since I felt safer using them than glue, but the radiator and psu mounts were glued together with JB weld and boy those suckers are strong. The vertical pieces were bent at work using a metal break (one of the big ones that can bend it down to a decimal place) and the horizontal pieces were standard L bars from Lowes.
    Just make sure everything fits properly before you drill holes for the rivets or use JB weld. I had one piece that was off center and once widened and riveted it still wobbled, that became scrap.

11. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

I gave up on debating how to make the side panels stronger and I just ordered some 24"x48" black 1/8" ABS for the sides (pretty cheap also, ~$40 including shipping). This should be more than strong enough, I just hope I can cut the designs into it as easy. I also ordered 10 uv and white LEDs each from LSdiodes so I can start wiring up the underside of the tower.

12. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Did a little work this weekend, too nice outside to stay cooped up in the garage.
    Did some filling and priming of the shroud. All it needs is a color coat and whatever else I plan to do to it and its done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats the underside so I'm not worried about the glue making it look too bad, especially since it will hold it together better
    I also decided to do some more bondo'ing on the base. I was going to paint the pvc tubes on here but I can't get them to look that great so I glued them in place and I'm going to bondo around them to make them flow into the base. There is still room on the top for another piece that will be attached to the bottom of the tower to connect the two together.
    [​IMG]

13. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Small update.
    I got in the LED's and finally the ABS sheet that I'll be using for the sides. It looks very nice, its smooth on one side and has a textured finish on the other side. I'll be using the smooth side so I won't have to prime and sand so much.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cut out a section for the back and the hole for the i/o panel. The areas where it doesn't look like its cut correctly will be filled in with putty just to make it look better. But it might just be the camera angle I thought I got the cuts pretty accurate. :)
    [​IMG]
    I also took some the tips I got from Defyant's bondo guide and started making the connectors between the base and the tower flow into the base. I just hope I can get them all about the same size and dimensions. :sigh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depending on how busy I am this weekend I should get the back done and hopefully the base. Still have to add the drive cage to the inside but that should be easy.

14. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

cant wait to see the result of that bondo sanded down

15. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

wow looks cool!!

16. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Nice idea on where to place the resvoirs. Looks uber sick! Keep it up! Remember its the weekend. So by Monday we need a BIG update! :D

17. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Sorry to let you guys down, no major update in fact I didn't do much work on it. I did some house modding this weekend (painted a bathroom and installed new fixtures) and spent free time with my wife, dogs and of course the newly released BF2 demo :)
    While I was at Lowes getting stuff for the bathroom I also picked up one of These

My wife has a lot of things going on after work this week so hopefully I'll finish the base by then.

18. The Lost Monk

The Lost Monk What's a Dremel?

Looking Nice keep it up.

19. Draeth1

Draeth1 What's a Dremel?

Its been awhile since I've shown anything so I'll show a few for now.
    Nothing major has been done and I'm still putting off designing the reservoir covers, that should be the hardest part.
    Here's a pic of my new drill press. Don't know if I'll ever try to make my own waterblock like some people did with theirs but now I can if I want to :)
    [​IMG]
    Here's the last coat of regular bondo, that should be enough to sand down and get looking good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Picked up some spot filler yesterday and started leveling it out and making it even. Here's the first coat, the back two pieces are sanded the rest aren't.
    [​IMG]
    Made some braces for a pump platform, haven't jb welded the backs of them yet. You can see the mounting holes for the mobo circled, I need to cut out some of the excess steel on that tray to make it lighter.
    [​IMG]
    I also went through 8 cutting disks removing steel to make room for the drive bays. I also trimmed down a 5 1/4" bay from another case to 2 bays instead of 4. I only plan on using 1 but you never know what will come out in the future and need a 5 1/4" bay. I need to make a mounting bracket for the 3.5" bay.
    [​IMG]

20. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

The base is coming along nicely, keep up the good work!