1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Splinter Cell Conviction PC is a sell out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 16 Jun 2010.

1. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

Some of your points are fair but you can't really expect them to release the same game they released four games ago. it's good to have things get shook up a bit or else it just gets stale. Look at what happened to the Tony Hawk series. It's a joke now.

Also, the multi-player does look a bit more "stealthy" so i suppose you could get your fix there :/

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

So if Episode 3 doesn't have a crowbar then it'll be rubbish? Pfft.

Too much weight can be put on this 'iconic' parts of a game. They should be done away with when they are done with. Personally, I'd have preferred Splinter Cell with no goggles and less tech. It would make more sense.

Insult swordfighting is the iconic part of Monkey Island series, because it was in the first game. Still, the best MI game is the one which doesn't have swordfighting at all - Monkey Island 2 - and the worst is the one which attempted to modernise and reintroduce it - Monkey Island 4.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

The game suffers from consolitis and Ubisofts DRM.

Episode 3 will have a crowbar.

4. montymole

montymole Rigid Tubist

could not agree more this sam fisher has been sold out, the game is nothing like the original series, it is not a stealth game you can finish it in day and not everyone wants to play online, if the single player game is so bad why would i want to carry on playing a game that has a built in cheat system (marking head shots trough walls) for me the is a wall hack and a aim bot rolled into one not something i have ever needed i trust my logitech MX518 in a firefight.
    As for the DRM ubisoft games are now banned in our house. My copy of conviction went to the local game station , I really enjoyed Assassins Creed 2 but it was such pain i will not be playing the next game so Ubisoft have lost my business, i tend to only buy games through Steam

5. CardJoe

It'll more likely be an ice pick.

Bear in mind, Episode One didn't have a crowbar until near the end of the game, when Barney gives it to you. By that point it was more of an in-joke than an actual weapon, since you'd already got every other gun you could.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You got it anyway. ;)
    HL games will have a crowbar.

7. CardJoe

Actually, the crowbar wasn't added into HL2 until the very last minute. As I said, it was an icepick before that and it was used mainly for navigation and climbing in the original versions and betas, which included the overall plot of the episodes.

8. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

CardJoe, but they did put the crowbar in though, didn't they?

9. CardJoe

NO U!

;)

10. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

The points mentioned in this blog definately add to the feeling of being shepherded through the game. A lot of the decision making is done for, you, you can sense the designers willing you to use stelth to improve your attack vantage point. You're definately not supposed to get through unnoticed, it's only a matter of time that a guards path dictates a corpse will be discovered. On one hand this adds to the urgency but on another your job as acplayer is to enter room, kill, next room.

11. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I hate to be the voice of dissent but I really enjoyed this on the PC. I was a big fan the original games but was a bit bored of them after four games with the same mechanics and just different scenarios - so from that point of view alone I was glad to see they changed things up in this one.

It was indeed more actiony but I had fun with that - playing though I would amuse myself by trying to take out as many opponents as possible utilising a combination of gadgets, execute and environmental factors in a single move.

The additions to the game (such as the cover system and the co-op stuff) I really enjoyed. In fact the one thing I really miss at this moment is Spies Vs. Mercs which I'm holding out hope we'll see as DLC at some point...

Oh and as far as the Ubisoft DRM is concerned, while I'm sure the first time I have connection issues it will royally piss me off, but so far its been no more obtrusive than Steam has been for me, so I have no real issues with it at this point.

12. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'm glad I read this. I have been intrigued by SC's new approach, but as much fun as it does look, it doesn't look right. The fact you can't move bodies is shocking, and probably the clearest indicater that they really have dumbed down the game.

I quite like the idea of Mark and Execute though, even on PC. I don't know what difficulty you are playing on, but I kind of had the impression that with the addition of M&E, they would add times when it was really needed to progress efficiently (say there are too many people to kill one by one). If, however, they have kept a similar design, and simply added M&E as a gimmick, rather than a fleshed out feature, well, that sucks.

TBH, the only thing that really looks good to me is the co-op stealthing. It looks awesome.

13. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

14. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

To me splinter cell conviction on the PC is an extremely lazy and messy port. All the points Harry made are true, but I'd like to add the following annoyances..

Setting up a multiplayer game is far more complicated that it should ever be. They even forgot to put any form of communication between the two players (I believe voice chat is now in there, but still not typey chat).

Changing controls every time I load the game, is quickly getting very boring. I sent UBIsoft support a ticket stating this must be a Bug and the response was.. Post in the forums, where we can ignore you there.

The Afgan level to me felt totally un-nessecary and turned what should of been a stealth 'em up into Call of Duty clone. Almost like the developers were thinking "yes we can do a modern warfare as well". I suspect the next splinter cell will have the ability to reverse time and wall running. :rolleyes:

15. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

@Tsung...the Afgan level was soooooo bad. It demonstrated perfectly why they should have kept the game stealthy...the shooting sucked! It was hugely unsatisfying. Shooting in B: BC2, the guns feel and sound powerful, in Conviction, it felt like exactly what it was, a mouse click.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Ive saw the reviews of this game and reviews seem to love it. Yet the community seems divided. I agree with all the points it seems ubisoft have destroyed what use to be a fantastic series. Still want to get this one tho to see how bad it is tho. Kinda like every sims game I get lol

17. altdoom

altdoom What's a Dremel?

I'm done with ubisoft they are sellouts as a developer nowadays

18. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

I have to admit I think the series topped out with Chaos Theory, and has been on a steady downhill slide since. Seems that the developer actually gave this title a helping shove down the ice though.

19. spenillo

spenillo What's a Dremel?

After reading this, I totally agree they took all of the best aspects of the Splinter Cell Stealth Genre out. I installed Chaos Theory, last night and started playing it again, I love sneaking in the shadows, listening to conversations, moving dead bodies, whistling to distract guards, and the list goes on and on. While Conviction is "Ok" Chaos Theory is really what Splinter cell was about.

You guys should do a "Games I Own" or "Games I Like" on the older Splinter Cell games, I love reading the Blogs, it makes me whip out those classic games, install and play them!

20. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

Thank you for the insight. I wasn’t going to buy the game based on the DRM, but your review removed any doubt I had about eventually getting the game…well, maybe until the price drops to $5.

This series lost me at double agent when, much to my chagrin, I was not able to upgrade my hacking tool (and other things) due to PC bugs. I did not see a patch that fixed that when I was playing through and once I finished the game, I never looked back. This seems like another prime example of a company willing to leave their PC fans to appeal to the console crowd.

Tags: Add Tags