1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage ssd and games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heir flick, 24 Mar 2013.

1. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Just bought a samsung 840 240gb ssd for a new build but without much thought how im going to use it, my first thoughts are put windows and all apps on it and use my 1tb hard drive for mas storage, but cant decide where i should install games, thoughts please

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Not that many games benefit from quicker loading times but battlefield 3 is definitely one of them. I would say put the games you are actively playing on the ssd and then use an app like steam mover to move games to and from your ssd. You can also do this without the app in command prompt but I have no idea how.

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

BF3 and Crysis 3 on the SSD. Though the differences in loading BF3 mulitplayer map using my 2TB WD drive to my SSD, is about 8 seconds. Which if your jumping in and out of Servers, is quite quick. Usually I'm one of the first to load into a map change, which then you have to wait for the rest to catch up, so does it really benefit? No, not really.

So this is why I have a small SSD for Windows, and the rest is on my Mechanical HDD. :)

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Steam now allows you to install to a different location. And if you wanted to put it on your ssd you could move the files and use steam to verify the install making them usuable again.

Battlefield 3 is best on a ssd. I switched to an ssd a year ago and now load into a map in seconds rather than minutes.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I have most of my games on a mechanical HDD but for some games (as t_g said like Crysis 3 etc - the more graphically intensive ones) I have on my ssd - not sure if it makes a difference but when they released the hd textures pack for Crysis 2 one of the recommended specs was having it installed on a SSD...

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I went the 512GB SSD route, and have all apps and games on it. I pruned my Steam install a bit... the ones I rarely play, or have played to death... I can always re-install if if I want to play again.

As soon as there are RAID drivers with TRIM support for my mobo (of I get another mobo), I'll get another 512GB 830 (or two 840 pros) and stripe them.

I don't see the point of having a SSD and having all your stuff on a mechanical drive. Mech drives are purely storage for me at the moment.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yep, Crysis 2 did benefit from loading a little faster than the HDD. But it wasn't like 'Click Play Game. Boom! I'm playing it Sort of Wow factor'

This is all on the assumption everyone is using a fast HDD. Otherwise those with Green type of HDD, will see a bigger differences using a SSD. :)

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

im thinking put the games on the ssd but just keep the one im playing, with 250 gig im sure I will have room for at least 5 to 10 games

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It depends how many games you have installed at once, I personally have all my games and programs installed on my 256gb M4, but then again I don't have all my games installed at once etc.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm still using Steam Mover to swap stuff between my HDD and SSD as required. I know Steam lets you specify an install location, but my Steam library is still on my HDD (as it was started well before Steam added the install location functionality) and I use the mover to stick specific games on the SSD as required.

11. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

im going to have to look into this steam mover, looks the way to go, to do this would steam itself be installed on the ssd

12. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have steam on my ssd and then have set up a steam folder on the hdd that I transfer the games I don't want on the ssd onto. It might work the other way around but not sure.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I have Steam and its library installed on the HDD, and move games across to the SSD - this is because originally, you had to have your library installed in the same location as Steam. These days, you could install Steam to the SSD and have your library on the HDD. I shouldn't imagine that having Steam installed on the SSD or HDD will make much difference, however.

Basically, it looks like I do exactly the opposite to atc95 :D Don't think there's necessarily a right and wrong answer here.

14. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

Thanks guys, think i know where im heading with it now

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

mmo`s with streaming content benefit from an ssd with `zoning` times reduced

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

For me all applications I am using go on ssd main system. All my music, movies, pictures, and application installer files (or folder back up from steam so I can just copy back instead of download again) are on hdd on my server.

17. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

thanks for the heads up on steam mover, i installed steam and games on the harddrive then just moved the ones i wanted to play to the ssd, works a treat and very pleased

18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Just a note while bf3 does load faster all you tend to see is more of the start timer each round :p