1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD boot slowed by optical drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 9 Jan 2013.

1. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I recently installed a Crucial M4 128gb SSD into my set up. It is only being used as a boot/ gaming drive. Every thing was going well with 5-7 second boot times when suddenly the boot time shot up to over a minute.

Having disconnected both HDDs, reinstalled drivers, even going so far as to reinstalling the OS and spending plenty of time on Google I discovered the culprit was likely to be my optical drive (a slim line Sony number although that appears unimportant).

Sure enough I disconnected the drive and the boot time is back around the 5 second mark (with the HDDs attached).

Has anyone got an idea as how to best get the optical drive playing nicely with the SSD or am I simply best to leave it unattached until I need to use it again?

If it helps my mobo is a Asus Gene V and all drivers/ firmware are up to date.

2. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Odd.

Which part of the boot takes such a long time with the DVD drive attached?

3. Lankius Maximus

Post itself appeared longer however when the Windows 8 boot screen appears it would stay on that for almost bang on a minute. As mentioned the boot screen is now back to around 5 seconds (then instantly to desktop) and it posts quicker to.

4. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

tried it in both sata II an III ports?

shouldn't make any difference but worth a try.

Lankius Maximus likes this.
  5. Lankius Maximus

It shouldn't do but it has. I moved both the HDD and optical drive over to the Marvell 6 Gb/s ports and it is now starting up as it should.

Thanks for the help!