1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD capacity reporting looks wrong (Plex?)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by thewelshbrummie, 29 Jan 2017.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

My HTPC is showing some weird drive usage that I can't explain.

I last rebuilt it in 2012 and haven't made any hardware changes for years. It boots of a 5 year old OCZ 120GB SSD, in the last 5 years it's been no more than 50% full. Very little is written to it apart from the occasional new app and Windows updates. It runs Win7 for MCE use, recordings are made to a separate 1TB HDD.

In the last few months it's been showing no more than 2GB free, but checking the properties of everything on the drive in file explorer (showing hidden and all system files) comes up with 61GB used which is about where it has been for years.

Disk cleanup only gains around 1GB, in line with what I'd expect anyway. I have no idea why it's reporting 1-2GB free space on the SSD when no more than half of it is used.

Is this a sign that the drive is failing or is there something else causing it? The only thing I can think of that I've installed recently is a copy of Plex server - anyone had any issues with it?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Run treesize on it.
    There's a very high chance the winsxs folder has grown (my htpc is hitting 70GB+ in that folder)

thewelshbrummie likes this.
  3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

That seems... excessive... Mine is only 6GB

Could it be System Restore eating up the space?

4. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

+rep, showed what was wrong.

Not the winsxs folder but Windows\Temp - had to apply admin rights and Explorer says it's empty but it's 49GB according to treesize.