1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows SSD Causing BIOS Freeze

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by User-sam, 9 May 2015.

1. User-sam

User-sam When in doubt, follow your nose.

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping you can help me out with this odd issue I'm having. I recently built myself a new system "specifications in signature below" All works fine detected SSD and Blu-Ray Drive absolutely fine. So went ahead and installed windows 10 via USB and seemed to be installing all right. It restarted a few times as normal and then got stuck on the ROG BIOS logo display.

I had to hold down the power button as it was not exiting this screen and each time I boot it gets stuck in the same place. So I removed all external devices and only had the SSD and Blu-Ray drive plugged in, same issue still persists. As soon as I unplug the SSD boot's absolutely fine. I plug the SSD back in and same issue persists.

I also had this message pop up after one of the restarts without SSD plugged in. (Please See Image Below)

So at a bit of a loss at the moment not sure if it's a faulty SSD or a Bad Windows install causing the PC unable to get past the POST.

Any help or advice would be really really appreciated! been without a PC for nearly 10 days due to a broken motherboard, think I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms... :waah:

Thanks as always!

BIOS Message "Appeared once after unplugging SSD and reseting BIOS"

[​IMG]

2. User-sam

Also forgot to mention it comes up with "A2" code on my motherboard.

3. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Sorry to hear about that bud, guessing that its imersa's board?

I will ask firstly, what BIOS are you on? Does that BIOS also have compatibilty for the i7 4790K? The Asus site shows the board being compatible with the CPU once BIOS 1504 is installed if I'm right.

Secondly, I'll mention, as Win10 is still in beta/technical stages, there's bound to be bugs, so we can't rule out the OS not playing ball. Have you installed a different OS? How has that panned out? Same issues?

Final check, the drives are installed in the Intel SATA ports, right? Any of the 6 Grey ports IIRC.

All the best.

Edit: A2 shows as IDE Detect, so will also mention, have you set it to AHCI in the BIOS?

4. User-sam

Hi Noob,

Yea it is indeed imersa's board but I don't think at all it's an issue with the board.

So to answer your questions in chronological order. :D

The BIOS is on the latest revision 1603, before even installing the CPU I used the ASUS bios flashback feature and installed the latest BIOS for CPU compatibility.

Unfortunately I can't install another OS on the SSD, as I say it does not allow me to go past the initial ROG logo once it's plugged in. If I plug in a different SSD though it does load and allows me to install on it.

And I can confirm the SATA ports are in ACHI mode and the SSD is plugged into the intel Z87 controlled ports.

Thanks for the really quick reply mate!

5. User-sam

Woo! Think I managed to Fix it.

Due to Windows 8+ onwards integrating with UEFI and all that jazz, it looks like it was trying to boot from the SSD as soon as it booted and the Win 10 install was corrupt. So I removed the SSD performed a DISKPART and "Clean All" command. Now the SSD is being recognized by the PC and not freezing on POST, and installing windows 7 as we speak.

Though all that being said I might just be speaking out my A**. as it may be another number of things affecting it.

Think I will hold of until Windows 10 is released and has had a few months of RTM testing! :)

I will let you know how I get on but hopefully should be all plain sailing from here.

Thanks for the help!

6. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Didn't doubt imersa's board not working, after all it was in Magnus as a demonstrator! :D

Anyhow, good to hear its resolved.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Most likely was some wrong combination of settings. Unless there is some real need for otherwise, it's always best now to disable compatibility mode and choose uefi only mode, enable secure boot and install the disk as GPT.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and only ever have the ssd and dvd/Blu-ray drives connected, no ther hard drives, as it may put the boot info on another drive.