1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD choice. (another thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slizza, 8 Sep 2010.

1. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Been scoping the 96gb vertex drive.
    Only £140 on scan..less on today only.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/96GB...ead-235MB-s-Write-170MB-s-64MB-Cache-17K-IOPS

There is the 64gb crucial real ssd to think about too though at a reasonable price tag..
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/64GB...-SATA3-6Gbps-25-SSD-Read-355MB-s-Write-70MB-s

I'm a bit torn, not convinced the faster speed/newer controller of the Crucial drive makes up for its smaller capacity.
    As my main pc uses are gaming and watching movies/surfing the net and the odd bit of video transcoding, will i even notice the difference?
    Would like to have at least a couple of big games installed on the ssd at any given time.
    Thoughts please.

Thanks.

2. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

I think you've answered your own question, if you want 2 modern games installed then personally i'd go with the bigger drive. It's still fast and if you're use to a hdd then it'll be a breath of fresh air.

3. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

The original vertexes are pretty solid drives with an excellent track record, but they're old tech compared to either the C300s or SF based drives... ...& indeed were superseded by the Vertex Turbo (the faster 120GB version of the latter being my original entry point into SSDs).

Personally, though, if i had a ~£150 max budget (& no SSDs) would be more tempted with the Vertex than the 64GB C300 + foolish highpoint card*, but would really consider waiting until i had the cash together for a pair of 60GB V2s/F100s (SF based) SSDs to stick in a R0 array since that would give far better performance than either of the options you're looking at here (or a single 120GB V2/F100 or 128GB C300).

[*this is the major problem here as the foolish highpoint card is a cheap (~£40) option - something good would be lots of money - but it's not raid enabled, you can only put a single 6Gb/s SSD on it without bandwidth limiting (making it money down the drain if you needed a 2nd SSD as you'd then have to buy a better card) & it needs a 2.0 pcie slot which will almost certainly be a 16x one... ...not that a decent card wouldn't also need to use a 2.0 slot, but if you can stick more SSDs on it then it's clearly more advantageous.]

That, however, increases the budget to ~£220 &, whilst my consideration would come out with this actually being the best option, only you can decide whether SSDs are worth that much to you at this point in time - though of course you 'could' buy a single SF SSD now & add a 2nd later... ...but that of course would involve having to reinstall/backup & restore everything when you add the 2nd one in.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

6. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Oh now you tell me after I have ordered so many things lol what a waste of money
    How do I go about getting free delivery from them?