1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD no longer detected in BIOS - Crucial M225 128GB

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Delphium, 4 Nov 2009.

1. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

So last night I restart my pc to find that when it tried to POST it would hang for about 30seconds detecting hard drives.

It finds all my mechanical drives no problem, however the SSD does not show up at all.

What I have done already...

1) swaped the SATA cable with a brand new one.
    2) tried a different SATA port on the mothertboard.
    3) swapped over SATA power connector from a known working drive to the SSD.
    4) removed all other SATA drives and disconnect GTX285 to ensure there is enough power on the rail for the SSD.
    5) tried in several other computers.
    6) tried using a SATA to USB cable.

I have tried to view the SDD with the SATA to USB cable on...
    Win7
    Vista
    XP
    Mac OS X
    Debian
    Kinopix
    G-Parted
    Hiren Boot CD with USB support.

The closest I got was in XP where the drive gets detected in "Drive Management" however lists as a 119GB? unknown partition.

In Vista and Win7 when goign to Disk Management, the drive gets listed again as "Unknown" and "Not Initiated".

[​IMG]

When entering Disk Management in Win7 I get prompted to Initialize the disk, I click yes, and it errors saying "The device is not ready".

Anyone else know any tricks that might spring this back to life??

I have just got off the phone to overclockers.co.uk whom have issued me with an RMA number,
    howerver I would really love to try and at least read the drive to make a backup of it.

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

you try using diskpart (command line) see if you can get details on the disk and partition

should be

select disk 1
    detail disk

look and see what's up here..

list partition

doesn't sound too good from what you've described.. worth a shot though

3. Delphium

You know i always forget that command, so in trying it...

Disk part crashes, then opens up a new dos window and starts again from scratch :|

weeep :waah: :waah:

Going to go home in a min and try it out again on the GF's iMac, runnign XP on 2nd partition, which managed to list the drive with a 119gb unknown partition.... maybe it was a one off, maybe it holds the key to getting the data mirrored to another drive.

Wish me luck

Last edited: 4 Nov 2009
  4. Nodule

Nodule What's a Dremel?

When you say it doesn't appear at all, I assume there is nothing listen under Crucial M225. Is anything listen under a strange name beginning with Y (can't remember the details I'm afraid). The reason I ask is that I had something similar and it was because it was overheating due to a rubbish 2.5>3.5 converter and it was somehow forgetting it was Crucial made.

5. Delphium

Unfortunately not, thankfully its kept well ventalated in the case.
    I think its pritty dead, so RMA'ing tomorrow.