1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage SSD Recommendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jokaz, 9 May 2013.

1. Jokaz

Jokaz New Member

Hi All,
    I have an ageing Asus P6T motherboard (basic model) running an i7 920 12gb ram and windows 7 and was wondering if anyone could recommend a suitable SSD for improving load times etc. as its getting a bit slow these days and I'm not sure what I should be looking for in terms of performance and size.
    Any advice would be much appreciated

2. chris182

chris182 New Member

Just about any SSDs would vastly improve your experience. I'd highly recommend the Samsung 840 pros.

Do you have any big bits of software that would benefit from being on an SSD? You could potentially got for the 128GB that's currently on pre order at scan [url="http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-samsung-840-pro-basic-25-ssd-3-core-mdx-toggle-nand-read-530mb-s-write-390mb-s-256mb-cache-97k]linky[/url]

3. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

Theres no point going for a super fast and fancy SSD! you don't have SATA3, so just go with something 120GB+, cheap and reliable.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Only true if you work with large files. For every day files we use and games uses are small. And SSD, even the fastest, doesn't reach SATA-2 max speed.

See here. Notice how 512K isn't reaching the max as the sequential speed is, but close,
    and how 4K is really far away.
    [​IMG]
    The above is the OCZ Vertex 4

PocketDemon likes this.
  5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon New Member

+1

Unless your needs are really minimal, personally i'd also look at going for at least a 240/256GB SSD as they are simply faster than the 120/128GB models...

...though with the new M500 then you need to look at the 480GB to get the big speed increase d.t. a nand die capacity increase - basically, non-SandForce SSDs work internally as a R00 array (the SFs work as R50 but the same principle applies) & by doubling the die capacity then you're halving the no of devices for a given total SSD capacity.

Whilst the 840 Pros are at the higher end cost wise, if you're in the EU then there's currently a cashback deal from Samsung via lots of the big suppliers (it'll be linked to on their webpage if they are part of it) which makes them not *that* much more expensive than then inferior (both with speed & warranty length) M500.

6. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I recommend a Crucial M4. They are solid, fast and affordable. I use Samsung 840 Pros now, but will not see the speed benefit as other have said. I agree that the more capacity you have, the faster it will go. 128GB is the lowest I would recommend.

7. Jokaz

Jokaz New Member

Last edited: 10 May 2013
  8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

If it helps, and you haven't pulled the trigger, I'd highly recommend an M4 too. I've got a few - they're excellent.

9. JamesRC

JamesRC Member

jinq-sea likes this.