1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage ssd setup help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluc, 26 Jul 2012.

1. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Hey all looking at getting my first ssd. Am looking at the samsung 830 drive. Was planning on a 128gb for operating system and programs and a 64gb one for a cache.( i have a z77 mainboard) wondering does the cache function work across multiple magnetic hdds? If not can I have more than one cache? If so Could I partition a ssd and use it as two cache drives. Also does the magnetic drive have to be connected to the same controller as the ssd. Cheers and thanks in advance for any help.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I'm pretty sure I read recently that if you have a fast ssd with the OS on then there is little to no point in using another one for cache, I feel you would be better putting the extra money to getting a 256gb 830.

3. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Oh ok i thought the cache would speed up read write times to files on the mechanical drives.just read over on the evga forum that caching only works when the os is installed on a mechanical drive so i guess that answears that question http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1589623&mpage=1

Last edited: 26 Jul 2012
  4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hopefully someone will come along and confirm whether I am right or wrong, I've just flicked through a few articles I have read recently to see if I could find where I read it but no luck so far.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just found what I read it was in the latest CPC mag.

It was a small note in a motherboard review regarding smart response(I believe that's the caching facility).

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Just found what I read it was in the latest CPC mag.

It was a small note in a motherboard review regarding smart response(I believe that's the caching facility).

7. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Ok cheers and thanks for help I will just get a 128gb for my os instead cheers.

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If you can stretch to it I'd strongly recommend a 256gb one, I have just upgraded my 128gb C300 as I was fed up with having to remove games or move them using steam mover as my drive kept getting close to being full.

I now have a 830 256gb and have plenty of space left and have all my currently played games on it.

9. bluc

bluc What's a Dremel?

Will consider it but I think i will stick to 128gb have been working off a 120gb partition for as long as I can remember and I like to keep programs to a minium only ever have the game I am currently playing installed should be all good.:rock:

10. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

You can pick up a 240gb SSD for the price of the 120/Cache drives you where planning on buying.

My 240gb Corsair Force 3 arrives today. Upgrading from a 120gb as my main drive.

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

make sure AHCI is switched on in the bios and dont dreag it - persoanlly im looking for another 120/128 drive as like the otehrs i`ve filled mine

12. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You can use ssd for cache for only the hard drives but not with intel's solution you need drives that work with the dataplex software. But, it is still somewhat ineffective and more costly than just buying one larger ssd and relegating the old hdds to storage only, which you wouldn't need the performance then anyway.
    I just got a mushkin chronos deluxe 240GB for only 160 today (40 more than the 120GB), so there are some good deals going on still for ssd, especially once you get past the 120GB mark you can get many drives for under 1/GB now. Compare it to when the Chronos DX first came out and was like 400 for 240GB it's quite funny.