1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SSDs: blindingly expensive for a while yet

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Jun 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Until SSDs reach near 1:1 price/storage with HDDs... or at least toward the 50p/GB range... failure prone spinning disks will be my choice. <£100 for 1TB, or twenty times that price for a quarter of the storage?

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's 300GB VelociRaptor, not 320GB. lol

same as above, sticking with HDD until i can buy 300GB for, at most, £250

4. bowman

bowman Minimodder

I asked about this, so I guess you're referring to me. Man, that's some service!

Q4 09 is too long for me, the Raptor is driving me nuts with its churning, chugging combine harvester noise. I just want equal or better speed, somewhat similar a capacity and no noise. I hope it'll be possible within the end of this year for some sort of less-than-four-digits price.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

which Raptor and what case may i ask?

6. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Raptor X (the one with the cheesy window thing) and a Lian Li fulltower case, with the rubber grommet thingies and all. It's better than it was in the old cooler master case, where it was just screwed into the hd cage, but it's still much, much worse than a regular hard drive.

It's not so much the noise _level_ as the characteristics of the noise itself. Even at low volumes it's always nagging, in a way.

7. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I'm thinking of getting a small SDD for the OS, then new raptor for games, then a lollerbyte drive for backups/other apps/etc

8. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

I dunno, HDDs is one of the areas that has never been a problem for me. Only reason I have needed to replace a Drive is because I ran out of space. I have been running a 30 gig Maxtor for 8 years. Still has yet to fail me.

The price vs capacity really is just no where near a point that makes sense in the broadband intense/media rich world we live in.

9. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I reckon for backup purposes the standard internal and external drives will do just fine for me. I think for my OS and games though I'll be waiting to get my hands on an SSD. I think when the price comes down to about 400 Euro for a 150-200GB drive then I'll be very happy. In the meantime I'll probably pick up a couple of the standard or VelociRaptors and silence them. Don't see much point in the 20,000 rpm ones to be honest...

Last edited: 6 Jun 2008
  10. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

We're getting there... I'm waiting for prices to hit about $3 per Gig with good speeds before I'll make the switch. Then again my storage needs are very, very small - 64G would be enough for my main computer.

11. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

SSDs arent about storage, they're about performance
    I, for one, will definately pick up an SSD (or 2 :D) when i can get a FAST one with ~64gig capacity for £100 or less
    raid 0 and use them as a system disk for windows + games etc
    then >= 1tb traditional disks for storage

really dont need a 500gig SSD thats only slightly faster than a traditional disk for £1500, thats just pointless

12. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

I think the best approach would be to use the SSD for your performance tasks (OS and Games) and then stick with a couple of large traditional disks for storage. Then you get the best of both worlds for the cheapest outlay :D

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Agreed. I could do fine with a 32GB OS drive, a very quiet but modest sized (say 160-250 GB) reasonable speed mechanical drive for apps and working docs, and then shove all the rest (all my CDs ripped to FLAC; DVD rips; backups; archived digital photos; etc.) off to a big ugly ol' networked RAID 5/6 box that, realistically, can be as slow as you like and hidden away where the unsightliness and noise won't bother me :-D

That would be a sweet setup until large capacity flash gets cheap enough to lose all the spindles from my rig. Actually, as I'm paranoid about data integrity, I'd have 2 RAID 6 boxes, one in the cupboard under the stairs and one locked away in a concrete bunker underneath the shed at the bottom of the garden, with redundant power supplies and data lines supplied through hardened conduits. But I don't have any stairs, or a shed, or a garden, so that will have to wait :-D

Tags: Add Tags