1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics ST STR710 ARM

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kbn, 25 Apr 2007.

1. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Anyone used these before? or any other arm chip.

I have ordered one and started to layout my pcb in eagle (just the chip, power and crystal so far). I will be etching the pcb properly this time, although I will try to be unique with how I get the etch resist on there... but there is a laser printer I can use if that fails.

Im going to have a nokia 6610 colour lcd in a few days (which uses SPI).
    I would also like to play with the wolfson 8721 chip from my dead rio karma however thats probably beyond my programming ability.

I have a lot of reading to do. I never though these chips were so compicated... I thought pics were difficult to understand, but I should be a lot better in C.

Im going to try making the cable shown here (second one down) http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Customizing/Hardware/JTAG_Cable

Any information on programming (diy jtag cables, software etc..) would help me a lot. I would like to know whats inside the olimex parelell port cable since sparkfun are out of stock :/ taylec dont have them either.

Also I know the phillips lpc21xx chips have a bootloader preinstalled (and jtag doesnt work), but I think I read the STR also has a bootloader? I cant find this in the refernce manual or datasheets though :/
    My pc doesnt have a parrelell port either, but I have access to one that does.. it would be nice not to need it.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2007
  2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I've used at lot of ARM devices before, but not DIY - so using Codewarrior (now Keil...) and ULINK2 JTAG Adapter. I've never seen a device that has the bootloader on it from the factory - this is something that is normally programmed by you so that the bootloader works from the peripheral you want.

3. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Stuff arrived. I didnt quite realise how small a LQFP144 chip is :/

Having some problems finding a suitable component in eagle with the package lqfp144... any ideas?

Im now trying to make the component in eagle, Ive done the package, but when I place pins for the symbol, I get an error "symbol already in use!"

Last edited: 26 Apr 2007