1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Staff changes at Bit-tech and Bit-gamer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 6 Jan 2012.

1. Bob Andersson

Bob Andersson What's a Dremel?

Hi James,

We met last year. Very sorry to hear the news but the best of luck to you and the whole team for the future.

2. BrightCandle

BrightCandle What's a Dremel?

Real shame to see James go, was a fantastic chap. I wish you and the others who just got **** canned a bright future.

On the news of outsourced journalism. Hmmmm consider this a luke warm acceptance that I hope you know what you are doing. I do get what is happening with traditional media, but you have an internet strong hold that just got broke up.

3. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

A, B, C, D, E, I, J, M, N, P, R and S

Camp nerds jib?

So, anyone speculate where the team are going so I can point my rss reader there instead?

4. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'm guessing Scan, Jim Beam and Princess D.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I wish all the staff moving on all the best in whatever they do, and to those staying on in a freelance capacity and at CPC I say....yaaaay!

I see the site and mag split as a good thing. I've been seriously considering dropping my sub over the last few months. I will watch what happens with interest.

As to this site, it is sad to see it change so much so quickly. I only hope it works out for the best. I won't start passing judgement just yet.

Goodluck to the new boss-man.

6. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Have to agree, what's kept me with bit-tech for the past 6 years has always been the personal touch you guys put into your articles.

Really hope the podcast can continue but it doesn't seem very likely, makes me sad to think there might be no more rants from Joe :(

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I always felt this site was great because of the culture the team had, and I can't help feel like that will be lost now.

I would like to see a return to more of the articles we used to get, Joe's "The Best PC Games You Never Played" springs to mind: http://bit.ly/z3jo1n

Also, keep the current quality of tech review articles, BT is pretty much the only site I trust to do a tech review.

7. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That's a bit of a choker.

Like all before me, I want to wish the best to you James and to everyone else leaving - and to thank you for all your efforts into making this an enjoyable as well as informative place to come. To those only writing freelance from now on, the best of luck finding other stuff to do as well.

Like exj, I too recognise Simon Brew's name from other publications so welcome that - although I'm also a little worried as to how stretched he'll be and wonder how much attention bit-tech is actually going to get from now on.

Still, good luck everyone & we'll see how it pans out...

8. Petrol head

Petrol head What's a Dremel?

This is a very sad time. I will never forget meeting the team at LITS and rabbiting all your ears off. I wish James an all the staff the best of luck. This was the only place I ever found that I felt I could trust what was said. I know the remaining guys will do their best.

Simon I wish you luck. Please for the sake of all the bit-tech family that has been created here, do your best to keep it the same.

We will be watching............

9. Kiliv

Kiliv What's a Dremel?

Just want to say thank you to the guys who have written for the last couple of years, you have made some great articles, i just hope the new staff live up to your standards

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Holy cow, bit tech is dead then

11. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Good luck in the furture to those leaving.

Gona start ( if not already lost ) readers if you do not start updating the news.

A whole month since a news story? ...really? a month?

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I'm trying to reserve judgment, but I guess I should have seen it coming. I've only been here for 2 years or so, and it's felt like things have been slipping since I came. Bit is the only tab I keep pinned, but lately, I don't feel compelled to even flip to it every day.

Pisses me off, the motivation behind it - profit. Increase value for the shareholders, blah, blah, blah, but Jesus Christ, Dennis. Doesn't having one of the most rabidly loyal communities I've seen on the net increase value? Silly me, only profit increases value. Just try not to run it into the ground, as that would not be in anybodies' interest.

Like I said, I'm trying to reserve judgment, but I feel like I'm running out of tech sites with an actual community. Not to mention reviews I feel I can actually trust...

13. TI99/4A

TI99/4A What's a Dremel?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

14. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

And so it begins. How long until Dennis decide to drop Bit altogether?

15. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

I didn't really want to jump into this thread, as it seemed more about people thanking the people who had brought Bit-Tech this far. But this has come up twice, so wanted to be open and transparent about it.

I'm working directly on two websites, Bit-Tech and Den Of Geek. I have other projects going on in the background, too, but not ones that are quite so hands-on.

I started editing Micro Mart magazine back in 2000 (a position I stepped down from last year), and in that time, there's only been a period of three months where that's what I've exclusively done. I enjoy, and it keeps my brain fresh, doing a few things. At the peak of this, I edited Micro Mart (100 pages + of material every week), Den Of Geek, and several bookazines. I've also edited Micro Mart at the same time as a fortnightly IT trade publication, and a monthly public sector IT magazine.

The only reason I say this (I appreciate it's a bit dull!) is that I've never just done one thing at the same time. I've got a bit of an odd brain like that, I suppose. Instead, I enjoy working alongside people who are experts, and passionate about what they do, and letting them do it.

Bit-Tech has clearly had some problems, as many of you have identified, with some of the shackles that have been placed on the team. My immediate job is, I think, is to allow the brilliant writers for the site to write, and not have to worry about anything else going on in the background (I'll be fighting those background battles instead).

To be clear: that doesn't mean I'm taking any kind of back seat here. It means I might not be as visible as I'd like from time to time, but there's a good reason for it.

If it's okay, I'm going to copy this post into the Bit-Tech questions thread, and I'm happy to clarify anything about all of this over there.

Simon

16. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

I have HUGE respect for Ben, his articles in Custom PC are always thought provoking, and for this reason I will continue with my CPC sub and see how things pan out.

I honestly think that CPC will miss James' input though. He has been there since the first issue and if he goes it will be a huge loss.
    I would love to know what these "pastures new" are so that I can continue to follow his work.
    Same with Alex as well really. Where is he now?

17. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

James talks about where he's off to in his column in Issue 102. Alex still works at Dennis but he's making apps now, not writing.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Agreed, once I found out Ben is staying with CPC my concerns reduced dramatically. It is a shame to see James go though, as mentioned he has been instrumental to the magazine over the years.

19. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Thanks. :thumb:

I look forward to issue 102 then :)

20. thil

thil What's a Dremel?

Says that "no journalist likes to think too much about advertising" - after thanking the "partners in the industry".

Partners in the industry - how utterly wrong that sounds coming from a "journalist".

Tags: Add Tags