1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Standby set to be banned in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jul 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Not such a big problem for the pc, you'll be able to get a patch to re-enable it but having to remember to turn on the telly before you sit down with the remote is going to be a bloody pest. Why not just give away free energy saving bulbs i'm sure that would do the same job!

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Damn. Fair enough, some people leave their devices such as TVs on standby and never switch them off, which causes incredibly high electrical costs, but what about the situations when people put devices such as computers on standby instead of just leaving them on? The standby feature is as much a power-saving function as it is an effort one. I have a loft bed atm and it's too much effort to get all the way down and go over to my TV and turn it off when you're on the verge of falling to sleep completely so I stick it on standby then turn it off completely when I get up in the morning. Manufacturers are going to have to solve this problem by ensuring power buttons on remote controls do in fact switch devices off completely and not just put them in an 'energy-saving' mode.

<A88>

4. quack

quack New Member

My TV is made to be left on standby! The power switch is hidden on the back of the tuner unit which isn't part of the actual screen, so it's very inconvenient to turn it off, so it never is.

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Arrgh this is actualy bugging me now i've thought about it. This bloody government dumbing everything down for stupit people :wallbash: instead of attacking things with the banning stick why not try to educate people and if you can educate them well perhaps its time for some bleach in the gene pool.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Bah, I'm goddamn tired of all this energy saving crap. We have billions of years of nuclear energy available to us, and what do we do? We go on a stupid energy saving drive untill the hippies shut the hell up and accept that nuclear power is what we're going to use.

Standby uses most power overnight, when a good deal of power produced is wasted anyway due to the fact that the power levels produced cannot be altered greatly and obviously less people use power overnight.

Stupid hippies, how I hate thee!

7. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

WTF?

This is insane, how can our government ban a specific use of electricity? I pay for it, I'll decide how I use it. If they really wanted to save electricity they'd ban electric kettles.

Back off Blair :grr:

8. Faulk_Wulf

Faulk_Wulf Internet Addict

I wonder: How does this affect companies, big business, and schools?

In my school, and in my colllege pressently, the computers are NOT shut down each night, they just go into hibernation. And many big businesses leave their rigs on all night.

(Never seen a TV remote put the TV into hybernate rather then OFF though.)

Seems kinda stupid to me. But I'm American, and I can't say we do much brilliantly either. :worried:

9. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader New Member

A step in the right direction if you ask me.. Hopefully they will take measures to enforce it.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Why do TV's use so much wattage for standby mode? I would have thought that, to power a little led and a minute amount of circuitry that mere milliamps could be used?

It's the people that fill a kettle to the top and boil it to make one cup of tea who should be hung, drawn and quartered.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Heil Blair eh? ;)

12. whisperwolf

whisperwolf New Member

I always used to turn off our tv witht the power button, but my new LCD tv doesnt have a power button it only has a standby button and its rather irritating. I'de kinda like them to not ban standby buttons but make power buttons a rquirement.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

This is stupid, the country should just go nuclear.

14. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

that sucks. i turn most of my stuff off tho i do leave my modem and router on 24/7 :jawdrop:

At work we had a big move on turning computers monitors and printers off but thats to save money.

but to band standby is just silly i mean i get home i turn the tv on 20mins later i turn standby on and get some food 10mins later i sit down and watch tv if i needed to go to the tv and turn it off i would just leave it on :eyebrow:

and i hate this baning crap, i'm paying it so f**k off.

and i looking in to geting a wind turbine just a small one so i can run my laptop for free but i would need planing stuff and can't wire it up myself so it would cost more to put it up :rolleyes: so i did't do it thus not saving electric :grr:

15. adam197

adam197 New Member

Such as teaching them spelling, basic grammar and typing skills?

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Excuse my hurried ranting!

17. TheEclypse

TheEclypse New Member

Not a problem for me, I always turn the TV and my computer off when im not using them.

18. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Seems sily as "standby" is such a broad term... they will end up banning many vital things . More of a stunt for attention than something that will be made into law.

19. Tibby

Tibby Technologic

Not a problem for me, I always have my pc on all day downloading and most nights, Standby will not be used! Love to help the Enviroment!

20. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It does vary a lot. Local firemen came round giving a free safety check and reckoned a CRT TV on standby used a high fraction of the normal power, keeping the tube warm, etc. and was a known fire risk.

Checking my (CRT) set, spec says average when viewing 134W, standby 0.8W. Not a lot.

Tags: Add Tags