1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Standby set to be banned in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jul 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

But of course, the thinking of the government is that that becomes a lot when you multiply it by 30 million. Of course, so does an extra 5 cups of water boiled when you times it by 15 million. The government are really doing what they've done throughout their entire reign. They're legislating to fix problems. Some might say that's the role of government, but I don't think something like this is needed. It's reactionary and populist.

2. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

What's the big deal? Some energy-saving measures are ridiculous, but this one is easily enforcable and products will be designed around it to make sure that inconvenience is minimised.

That having been said, I'm sure that there would be considerably larger energy benefits from subsidising the development and production of energy-saving light bulbs and heavily taxing the incandescent models. Still, this'll help.

Surely it's at least better to save energy (and thus reduce pollution and expenditure) in the stopgap between now and the transition to said nuclear power?

3. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

I dont ever not switch my TV off directly from the swtich anyway. All my pc's are switched off (apart from the server which hosts my email and website etc)
    I dunno why people are complaining tbh.

4. olly_lewis

olly_lewis New Member

Though this won't effect me, I think that this should be used in conjunction with a wider plan for electricity in the home, if its just this legislation, removing standby, and nothing else to follow it up, them, there is little point in it.... but, look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves. I hope that they do this, because its just another waste of power that can easily be removed, sure there are much bigger problems out there, such as vehicles on the road, SUVs used for mother's to drive the kids to school, it might not be the most ambitious piece of legislation but it works... but lets hope that it is enforced and power buttons made easier to reach and replacing the standby button with a power button and not putting it round the back of a LCD TV... etc

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well my issue is with the fact that this is bound to break some usefull features in products, and that the majority of power that's going to be "saved" by this measure is going to be earthed anyway, since a tonne of power used at night is wasted anyway.

6. serial_

serial_ New Member

Waht next? A ban on cathode ray tubes? Not to delve too deeply politically, but my government just steals oil to let us continue in our various areas of metaphorical gluttony. Isn't that the way it should be? It's like a modern day robin hood!

But i do say bad show blair. One step closer to saving fuel also means you made one step closer to fascism. Everybody got their stiff elbows ready?

- serial_

7. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

If they REALLY want to save up spme energy, they should start by using public ligthing that turns on only when someone comes close, because these are a very consuming element. It would also mean less light pollution during the night, so we could see the stars again ! Look in the sky in a big city. What do you see ? Nothing. It's because the ambient light is brighter.

8. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

this is just bloody stupid IMO

there isn't a lot wrong with standby, it uses some power, but its not ALOT, however it does add up

really i think banning standby is just going to create a market where people hack their products to have standby

I don't fully turn my computers off ever, in theory unless you turn of the mains switch, your always in standby, and that's just stupid, yes i turn off my computer, but not at the mains

IMO they should just make stricter regulations on standby, a standby circuit is just a switch, generally, like in a TV it leaves the circuit on for the remote, but other then that nothing needs to be powered

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Good point g3n3tiX. Not to mention that they don't use the energy saving bulbs. I think the street lamp outside my house wastes more energy in one night than my tv does in a year. So, dear leaders, please set an example and change your own organization before trying to change us. ftwts

-ed out

10. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

The point is that this change is very efficient (har har) in that enforced legislation - which costs very little by comparison to, say, replacing every street lamp in Britain or implementing proximity lighting - could potentially save a very large amount of energy. That's something that most proposed solutions here don't have.

True, but are they really that useful? The significant one that I can see is remote controls - however, being in a state that allows response to remote controls isn't the same as being in standby. I'm sure that products could be redesigned to allow remote-on with a system connected directly to the mains.

Standby power not consumed is just that - not consumed. Sure, there's enormous wastage of energy at night, but are we supposed to just sit there and let it happen, or attempt to make some sort of dent in the problem?

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Well-Known Member

There are some fair points from either side of the argument, but my main issue is that they've straight out banned the feature.

The way this'll be implimented is that the companies that make TVs will continue to produce models with standby for Japan, America and the rest of Europe, and the UK will get a few token gesture models to choose between :grr:

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

doesnt bother me too much, i switch everything off at the plug anyway. What they should do is introduce a maximum energy consumption for standby mode, where devices have to use less than a certain amaount. surely that would stop the hippies whining and keep the consumer happy

13. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Finally, someone is thinking!

-ed out

14. EQC

EQC New Member

While this law may go a bit far by banning the standby feature, it is much better than my current lineup of devices -- I've got a TV, a DVD player and a 5.1 receiver that CAN NOT BE TURNED OFF! They can only be put into standby mode. The DVD and receiver are made by Sony...while my previoius, older DVD player (also a Sony) actually had a hard "OFF" button as well as the ability to be put into standby mode via remote.

Stupid electronics manufacturers caused this problem when they got rid of the true Off button to save 40cents and cost me more than that each month in electricity. I've even got a blender (yes, A BLENDER!!!) that doesn't actually turn off. If I turn it "off," I can still hear it's transformers buzzing when I put my ear close. So, the blender has to be completely unplugged when not in use too. Another 13cents saved by Black and Decker on that one. Morons!

My only option for turning off many of my devices is to actually unplug them, or use a power strip/surge protector for everything and use it's switch to turn things off completely -- so my only way of turning off the home theater would be to crawl back behind some furniture and find the power strip, or leave my power strip out where it can be seen (looking all ugly and power-strippy)

I understand the complaints of folks not wanting to be forced to turn everything off by hand...but you're only going to have to because Sony and all the others took that option away years ago. Don't blame the government for trying to solve a problem (I've read that as much as 8% of power goes toward standby modes. 8% is a lot)...blame the electronics manufacturers who, given a choice, will ALWAYS choose the option that raises their profits (even a miniscule amount) at the expense of the consumer and the earth.

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

exactly, it shouldn't be outright banned, but should be regulated

although, what do you define as standby, when its not turned off at the mains, or like in computers where its on, but in a lower power state (not the mostly off state, the one between on and the actual standby of a computer)

16. Nexxo

Nexxo Stopped treating this country as if it was his own

How would this relate to laptops, I wonder. I use the standby function on my Tablet PC habitually because it allows me to dip in and out like with a PDA. It hardly uses any juice, and I'm sure that at the end of the day it makes little difference in recharging a set of batteries with eight hours running time combined.

But technology being what it is, I suspect that manufacturers will just find clever workarounds that, although not being "standby" as defined by law (and think about this: how are they going to define "standby" legally so they can ban instances of it?), will serve the exact same function.

Possibly at a higher energy expenditure at that... after all, if it technically stays "On", it is not on "Standby".

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

ok lets think sky box's and cable and all the other things that rely on standby.

Unplug a skybox and it forgets channel listings and has to spend 3 minutes getting them before allowing you to turn it on.

18. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ok

40W lamp, 40/0.8 = 50 hours of use. this means that a 40W lamp working for a hour can poser a TV on standby during 50 hours, about 2 days and 2 hours of standby.

next stop: BAN ATI AND NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARDS!!!!!!!! expecialy ATI they consume each about 100W, 100/0.8 = 125 hours = about 5 days and 5 hours each.

also ban crossfire and SLI, 200/0.8 = 250 hours = about 10 days and 10 hours.

we must save power, but not in this way. this is lame.

19. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Member

Why not just say some limit like 50mA (or whatever) standby current max? Or have a small charge on manufacturers to let their devices use standby? Both of these ideas would be a lot more sensible.

20. _ViC_

_ViC_ New Member

This is a move to please greens which won't provide any benefit.
    I imagine Blair was presented a calculations which said that UK wastes, say, 10% of energy due to standby feature. "Imagine if we could strip this feature, then we would get 10% of energy for free!" But this is impossible to do.

As many of you said too many devices cannot be powered off. Okay, they easily can be modified to use hard off button. But hey, what about my office air conditioner which is controlled solely by the remote? Will there be a power switch on its case? Well, I would need a ladder to reach it. Ridiculous.

The standby feature was developed to provide devices with the quick start capabilities, remote control and power saving in case of computers. We pay for standby with our bills, so why we can't use the benefits it gives? Insist on saving power is one thing, ban some power appliances is quite another. I use energy saving lamps at home and never turn the light on if it isn't necessary. But I want to turn on my TV with the remote! And just thinking about notebook without standby feature is driving me nuts...

Tags: Add Tags