1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Standby set to be banned in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jul 2006.

1. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer New Member

amen

stupid hippie tree huggers, complain that we burn fossil fuels, then when we turn up with nuclear power they complain about that too!, then they complain that wind turbines ruin the landscape, and dams ruin rivers etc etc..... theres no winning with that lot. and its ironic that those type of people like to have cars like the 2cv, beetle and the VW camper van.... probably some of the most polluting cars on the road.

2. pjotero

pjotero belgian

I don't think it will take long to find a way around it.
    As an example: you can place an lcd clock in it(like most dvd-players have) so when it isn't playing anything it still keeps a function to the owner.

3. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I think that's quite an extreme generalisation there- they're not all the same people. If I may provide a bit of hypocrisy and use my own stereotypes:

1)'Tree Huggers' don't like us using fossil fuels etc and would rather we ran the whole country off a wind farm as well as trade all our cars for electric alternatives which will also run off said farm.

2)Conservationists who are too wrapped up in their own lives to recognise global issues moan and protest whenever a wind turbine is proposed within 10miles of them and find someone in a wheelchair to act as a victim to the 'high-pitched drone' of the machines, and thus developers find it nigh-on-impossible to secure planning permission for turbines in the first place (the old 'I'll support it but not in my back garden' case :eyebrow:).

3)Then there are just the hippies who insist on saving the planet by smoking whatever was cool in the 60s and driving the Peoples' car as well as insisting that the world hasn't evolved in 40years (these tend to be few and few between though).

<A88>

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

do wind turbines emit a "high-pitched drone"?
    i dont know, thats why i am asking. we are forbiden to go near them.

5. seanblee

seanblee New Member

One of the most ridiculous laws I've ever heard. Also kinda puts a spanner in the works for MS's Vista 'instant availability' thing where the machine is always in ACPI S3 standby. How on earth are they going to outlaw standby on PCs? It's just not going to work! Stupid government...

6. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Um, I think the point thatr has been missed in all this is that this is an attempt to hit the UKs commitment to Kyoto. The idea is to reduce greenhouse gas emitions by reducing electrical consumption, which is in itself not a bad thig. The fact that they could accomplish a LOT more with fuel economy standards and improved mass transit (Which is already a hell of a lot better than here) is lost. In the end I think this is the wrong approach to achieving a worthwhile goal.

Maybe they could ban SETI@home since that keeps computers chugging along at 100% all the time regardless of weather they are being used.

And for the record, I think my dual opteron SLI machine has contributed at least half a degree to global warming. Sorry

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't particularly disagree with you CT. I myself am currently leaning towards the fact that we are causing global warming. We know it's happening, the vast majority of scientists seem to think we're making it much worse. I accept all that. I just don't accept the fact that we need to suddenly curtail our usage of electricity massively, invest stupid ammounts of money into building tech that's moving so fast it's going to be out of date by the time it's deployed, and screw up the landscape with hundreds of miles of road and hundreds of thousands of tonnes of concrete just to stick a few thousand windmills in place that'll provide a tiny ammount of power, be dead in 12 years, and don't and will not ever have the capacity to provide steady dependable power.

It's like we're being forced to throw money at a solution we know won't work just to prove that it won't, and we're going to have to rush nuclear power plants(or just as likely, build another generation of oil and gas plants) because we have to prove to these idiots that right now in the first quarter of this century at least, renewables aren't realisticly going to be more then 30 or 40% of any big countries power supply.

8. Agent_M

Agent_M Member

also dont we tend to have to buy power from places like france who create a surplus with their nuclear plants? if we had our own itd save alot more energy as we would need fewer fossil fuel plants. as for the radioactive waste, give it to the hippies as a present ;)

9. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

When you turn my tv OFF with the button you lose all picture settings. When you turn it back on you then have to reconfigure the colour, contrast and brightness. The only way to avoid this is to use the standby on the remote.

I personally think that what your government is proposing is a good idea as new devices will be consuming less power. They aren't saying you can't keep your old stuff - it's just a slight modification to the electrical design standards that everything has to comply with already. Now new devices will not only not shock you, emit radiation etc, they'll have minimal power consumtion when not in "actual use". This can only be seen as a "Good Thing"

If things will need settings kept, then manufacturers will integrate that into their designs. Remember, if consumers don't like the product or how it behaves then they wont buy it. Products can only improve from here.

10. Sord_Fish

Sord_Fish New Member

Its not a problem to me most of my electricals gets the button if its not in use. I hate leaving stuff in stand by its such a waste.
    I was thinking about getting timed plugs so it turns all my stuff off that dont have proper off switches.

In fact i think some one should add up what kind of saving a regular household would make if they turned off everthing till morning.

Also i can't see them nukeing standby on a laptop as its low power consumtion anyway.

Add one more vote for killing the kettle fillers for 1 brew. :hehe:

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

To keep the tube warmed up, AFAIK. Here in America TVs don't even have power-off switches, you've gotta totally unplug them. Anyways, it takes like three minutes for the tube to come on completely from off, whereas it's just a few seconds from standby.

cpemma... your set must be lying.

12. Nezuji

Nezuji New Member

Three minutes?! How old is your TV set? Is it colour? I have an old black-and-white portable set made in the 70's that doesn't take that long to show a picture.

"No standby mode" is such an obviously daft rule. "So now it's off or on only? Well I guess I'll leave it on 24/7 and curse at the government for hiking up my electricity bill."

Nezuji :)

13. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Right, time for some ranting me thinks.

First off, this isn't a "bad" thing, saving energy is important, everyone must be able to feel the effects of global warming. Take the last month, we've had weather ranging from 30 degrees plus right down to what feels like late autumn, and these extremes are taking place in a matter of days!

Look on the news the last few yrs, hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis! we have to do something.

The qyestion is, is banning standby the way to do it, urrrrrrrrrm............no.

I think it's up to governments to do things themselves, take lit motorways, do they need to be lit for 100's of miles? most A-roads in the UK are unlit, does this mean people can't see? no, thats what f*****ing headlights are for.

Another example, schools and public buildings always seem to be lit up, turn the lights off.

Basically what I'm trying to say is theres alot more things that could be done to save more energy easily, than banning stand-by.

No they don't, I live less than 3 miles from some, and I can't hear them atall. I've stood underneed them and i couldn't hear them, and to be honest they look fine, most of the time they blend in with the cloudy sky.

Sorry about that, end of rant.

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Let me correct that statement - time for a drained TV to have full quality picture.

Also, some little portable set is going to take a lot less time to get going properly than a full-size, as will a B+W versus a colour set.

Whoever made the comment about handing out energy-saving bulbs... it would certainly be a lot better than this idea. I've got a photography booth thing in my basement that uses a trio of CF cool white bulbs, total power consumption is about 50w. And they put out the equivalent of about 250w worth of incandescent light, and without the yellow tinge to boot. Their lifetime versus initial price is worth it alone, and if you have an incandescent bulb going six hours a day (not unreasonable for some rooms), you could leave on an equivalent light-output compact fluorescent bulb continuously and use less power.

15. -Xp-

-Xp- Member

Couple of points (which may have been mentioned):

1) The consumer is goign to suffer. Companies are not going to make devices which do not have standby modes, purely for use in the UK.

2) Some battery powered devices (such as laptops) benefit from standby mode (as a lot of power is used when starting up alaptop).

As said before, it's my electricity and I'll use it as I please. Instead of bannindg standby, why not promote energy saving lightbulbs? I think that a lightbulb with a 20% efficiency is worse than (as cpemma said) a CRT which uses 0.8W on standby.

16. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

As for that, I think that's a good idea. Ever driven about at 3am in some areas? There is absolutely no-one about! Personaly though I'm in favour of lights which automatically turn on when theres someone around. There's one of this system in a new area not far from where I live and it's pretty cool stuff!

18. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Overall a good move.

Most people are just plain un-aware how much power they use by leaving their TV's and Stereos etc in standby mode. It takes a couple more second to actually switch most of these things off and save yourself a bundle on the electricity bill. I for one switch everything in my place off at the plug in the wall before i goto bed or go out....nearly all modern equipment has a battery to save stuff like clock information and settings so it isnt a problem.

I do however have some Audio equipment that dosnt turn off...theres no power button, only a standby button, i think everyone would greatly benefit if full power buttons HAD to be included on every electrical good, perhaps this middle groudn should instead be law.

19. Edhi

Edhi New Member

Meh, don't see the difference really.

I never put the PC into standby, I always turn off my monitor, and we've always turned the TV off at the button.
    Standby for most devices is simply a lazy device. God forbid we might have to walk an extra few inches to and from the TV! *rolleyes*

I imagine new devices will simply be engineered to switch themselves completely off from a remote and vice versa instead of going into standby. How hard can it be?

20. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I like the idea. My computer stays on 24/7 mostly - yes, that costs me money in electricity, but then I try and save a bit back by turning things like TVs and audio equipment off when unused, not filling up the kettle completely, and all that lark. If everyone did the same then the power saving would be considerable, which can only be a good thing. Even if all power came from clean sources, the amount of thermal emission from all the appliances left running must be contributing to global warming a bit - has anyone read the Night's Dawn trilogy by peter hamilton?

Personally I'm not enamoured with the new nuclear plans - by the time they are up and running (which is what, like 20 years?) there will be enough forms of renewable energy to provide similar levels of electricity, and given the advance of rechargeable batteries the whole reliability issue should be lessened as well.

Oh, and I have to laugh at the people complaining that they'll have to get up off the sofa to turn on their TV - no wonder we're turning into a nation of couch potatoes!

[/rant]

Tags: Add Tags