1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Standby set to be banned in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Jul 2006.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hydroelectric energy has a limited ability, you need damable rivers, and simply put, we're nearly done usefull rivers to damn in the UK. Wind Turbines are going up at a fairly quick rate, I can think 3 farms that I see on a regular basis. They don't do very much though. You're talking one large farm powering less then 100k people when a single coal or gas power plant can power a million people. Sea based power production is extremely expensive right now and cannot be considered anything more then experimental for that reason.

Don't take this offensively, but the only reason people fear nuclear accidents are stupidity or ignorance. I'm quite sure it's the latter in your case. The Chernobyl reactor that is so close to so many peoples thoughts had an unshielded core, and had all safety measures turned off so that the thing could basicly be tested to the limit. Modern reactors have shielding, and have the reactor set up so that accidents cannot happen, not to mention even before the systems of the reactor or shielding got into play there are thousands of rules and regulations for nuclear reactors. If you take half an hour to look in to it you'd quickly realise that another chernobyl is just not possible with modern reactors and the systems set up around them.

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Speck has a point. Nuclear power reactors actually have an excellent safety record. Chernobyl was pretty much as bad as it can get, and the response left a lot to be desired, but now, 20 years later, there is a hot debate about weather they are seeing ANY large scale public health inpacts from the accident. Much of the waste could be "burned" in fast neutron reactors which are now in the design phase which would live minimal high level / fissionable waste to dispose of. The obsticles to large scale power reactor deploy,ment are political and economic, not technical.

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Nuclear energy still produces radioactive waste; the more energy you use, the more waste to dispose off. So why not attempt to reduce the per-capita energy level?
    :rolleyes: see Sod's Law.

Nope, see the list here. I've not checked all the sets, but the Sony KV27EXR25 listed is a 27" CRT.

Low stand-by power can be achieved, such a set may take an extra second or two to wake up compared to a "wasteful" set, but is that a big deal if it saves a fair amount on your power bill?

btw, Don't believe everything you read in the newspapers, always check the source. :nono:
    Rather kills a good story? :sigh:

And what a wiser Bush Snr did back in 2001,

Last edited: 15 Jul 2006
  4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, you can tell the difference between the lower standby power ones and the higher power ones I reckon(although it may be something different). My TV takes about 10-15 seconds to get a picture after I hit the on button on the remote. However the one in the family room can't take more then 5 seconds. Not that much difference in size, so I guess that shows what the difference is.

5. glnsize

glnsize What's a Dremel?

There are WAY more efficient method's to saving electricity. This is an empty attempt that in the end will save no power and make consumer products in the UK a lower grade then else where in the world. If your gov. really wanted to save energy. Introduce a tax incentive for green homes. Require all commercial building have solar or wind generators. Provide an economic incentive for your citizens to be green and the market will take care of it for you.

As for nuclear power, it is true that compared to fossil fuels nuclear power is "clean". The only problem is as of yet no one has been able to safely dispose of the wast. The spent fuel rodes and cooling fluid are so toxic. That all we can do is seal it in a drum, and put it under 50' of concrete. Even then some of the toxicity reaches the populous. If someone could figurer out a way to dispose of this bi-product you would see the nations of the world FLOCK to nuclear power b/c is is SO cheap.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Erm, did you read my post? :sigh:

The headline is not true. There is no plan to ban standby in the UK.

The actual aim is to follow International (including the USA) proposals for a 1W limit on standby systems.

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Somebody's been watching Horizon. :p

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Ummm... Who? :blush: :D

-ed out

9. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

thanks for clearing that up cpemma - its nice to get the true story :) banning standby did seem OTT

in fact, 1w - that's quite a lot of power to keep a IR receiver circuit on

Tags: Add Tags