1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Any ships you buy will respawn, because you'll have insurance for them (won't be expensive). The only exception to this will be if you have like, an Idris (cap ship) then you won't get a new one straight away because they take a long time to be produced by the shipyards.

I should imagine everything in game will be purchasable using in game credits and real world money, those who play the game a lot will use in game credits, and those with a billion hours to sink in will pay in credits. This is the same system used in Mechwarrior Online and it works really well. You have to remember, that each encounter will be a scissor paper stone type scenario, so anything you buy (say huge gun) will have a trade off (super hot, weighs a lot, uses ammo fast etc etc), so its not like people will just get a hornet and load up every hardpoint with the best guns in the game and be invincible. CR has always said that the most important thing in each situation is your skill as a pilot, which is the same deal in Mechwarrior and just about every other FPS type game (F2P or not) out there.

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

The only good view of it is from above. Every other angle it looks blocky and terrible. "My First Ship. Ages 1-3" as it were.
    Which is entirely it's purpose.

I only have an Aurora to switch to a Mustang, made all the more important when they showed off the concepts of it.
    Sleek, nimble looking, fast looking.....if it ain't red they are doing it wrong :D

3. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I dont see anything about SC as being 'Pay2Win', pay to shortcut maybe, whether thats seen as winning and gaining an unfair advantage i dont know, its personal opinion though i guess.

Its easy to argue that life is pay 2 win, maybe the whole point of a virtual world is we're all equal, except we're not really are we, we're all diverse and some will be great some will be okay, and maybe some will pay to be better, and some wont.

I have a strong disliking of DLC, the old style paid 'extensions' and their modern equivalent tend to be fine, but a lot tends to be tat. Likewise im not a fan of micro-transactions and P2W elements where the game is heavily slanted towards buying progress.
    I dont have any issue with what SC is trying to do, i can see why people might think its pushing the P2W angle, but theres 2 things which i think justify their approach.
    Firstly, this helps with the development funds, and people get a better reward as a result.
    Secondly, they're not selling unlimited quantities of the bigger ships, instead they're selling a reasonable amount so that upon release the game will have a realistic variety of ships in there.

Is it unfair someone gets an Idris (for $1000) while i get an Aurora (for $40)? Not particularly, yes they've paid for something better, but i dont see that as cheating or gaining an unfair advantage personally.

From what i understand, the PVP stuff, its either the competitive eSport style stuff which i'd imagine will be held in the Arena Commander mode, with everyone in similar ships, rather than people in Aurora's while others are in an Idris, cos that'd be daft. The PU style PVP where you're attacking someone in the universe, because you want to, rather than it being the whole point of the game, you can simply move the slider down to friends & NPC controlled ships and avoid all that, of course you'll still encounter bigger ships who may attack you, but then thats kinda the point in a vast and diverse universe.
    The Arena Commander stuff (what i consider PVP to be) will be very much like Parge says, Rock Paper Scissors. Theres a finite amount of energy you're ship can cope with, and your load-out is your R/P/S and for every option there will hopefully be a load-out which is better, worse, or equal to.

Personally, i think they've done a very good job of how they've set things up. Maybe my opinion will change in time, but nothing they've done so far in this regard has me concerned or feeling like it'll ruin the game.

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Wow, really??
    I was only saying to my clanmates last night that i'd consider buying a 2nd Aurora (if not another) if it seemed like the time spent waiting on insurance might make sense to have a 2nd ship available, but i'd figured theres enough of us that i'd be able to help man someone elses ship (gunner etc) or fly someones spare ship.
    I guess it would suck if you were told you couldnt fly till the game gave you a replacement, either go take a job helping someone or log out till its replaced etc.

Everyone should get a Merlin instead, aka the Conny canoe :D

It should be 3 though i'd imagine, Aurora, Mustang or the Gladius (assuming that is intended as being the same price point)? Maybe thats more towards the 300i /Avenger price point though, a budget Hornet if you like.
    It'd be nice if when you created the character, you could opt to pick one of those or possibly a slightly better one and clock up some day-1 debt. IIRC they said you'd be able to buy citizenship without doing the SQ42 stuff and be in debt and need to pay it off before theres a bounty on your head etc so that might be a nice way to select a slightly more pricey variant.

But i thought they'd said if you dont do the SQ42 you start off with less money & perks as a result, maybe i interpreted a comment about this as meaning you wouldnt be able to afford a ship so you'd have to work for others to begin with. Like you could buy a $25 game package without a ship, or $40+ with a ship.
    Good to know though, thanks.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It'd be pretty stupid if you'd paid for the game, got your ship destroyed and then couldn't make any money because you had no ship. There'll always be the most basic ones available as a starter ship - the Merlin wouldn't work as you need to haul cargo to make money!

Of course, this is all in development. Don't count chickens until they're hatched!

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Not yet, but concept art does exist. :thumb:

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

No. http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oh interesting, I hadn't seen that added to the FAQ or even discussed.I imagine it can't take too long doing missions for others to earn a new ship.

Still, insurance is important!

9. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Not yet, you can't swap yet either.
    For some reason the community voted to wait until it was hanger ready before being allowed to swap it.
    There was a set of concept stuff (and a video??) shown about it a few months back.
    It looks real sweet in comparison :)

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Cockpit looks like it'll provide more exciting viewing angles with a Rift.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends on how they do pay to shortcut. If come the launch of the live game theres a shop that you can instantly buy any ship for real life cash or they keep ships in cash shop and you can not aquire them any other way then it would really put a damper on the game as a whole. ( other games have done this in the past )

The shop should be there for decorative items and stuff of its ilk.

If its strictly for donation people pre launch of the game then theres nothing wrong with that.

But a cash shop in the live game would cause some issues.

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Have you even read anything?

13. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

15. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Mine to BitSec, yeah. I'll mostly be flying with my VIA guys when they're around, but when they're not someones going to have to put up with me :D

Cant guarantee i'll be much help, but i'll bring what ive got or man the battle stations as needed. Most likely scenario if im flying, i'll be the easy target who gets shot down allowing you guys to get away :D

16. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Finally, been waiting for multi-orgs to be a thing.
    Applied :)

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

4GB hangar patch now available.

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Gah, I was hoping for org forums and the fleet roster to be in with this update. It's taken 3 months just to do multi-orgs, really?

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

The redacted thing is pretty cool, let's me be me now :D

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It's only 4GB you get a "metadata failure", in which case the game begins a total re-install.
    (Some of it may be prerequisites for DFMv1)
    Changelog here