1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes, but that's just insurance in general.

Insurance will not play a huge role in the game.

2. Parge

Exactly. As I mentioned, I've got $60 in giftcards but that is still about $80 away from any ship that I remotely want.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

The user base for the game is really going to heat up when FPS is available?
    Not every one has a joystick or hotas set up but every one has a keyboard and mouse, it will pull a huge new amount of people into the game?

If the FPS is really rocking then a lot more people are going to join, maybe 20 to 100k?

4. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I have seen some people saying they do not wish to own a ship, just work as a mercenary to hire and hitch there way across the universe. Pretty interesting role play and good for someone that just wants to enjoy the fps portion of the game. Work as a turret operator on the trips.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It's pretty interesting actually. They're definitely trying to make non-flying roles fully feasible.

I thought I'd do some screens of my hangar. Including the incredibly sexy Retaliator. Seriously, best ship so far.

So to start, we take a trip round the luxury Constellation Phoenix. So white it just blends with the surroundings...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But what is this long thing of beauty?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Elevator in!
    [​IMG]
    Ship killer torpedoes. They're absolutely massive! These are in the forward bomb bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cockpit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Upper deck, containing sleeping booths/ejection pods
    [​IMG]
    Heading aft on A deck, access lift locations and airlocks
    [​IMG]
    Rear bomb bay, viewed from engineering station
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My small ships - the M50, Mustangs Beta and Delta
    [​IMG]
    Delta
    [​IMG]
    M50
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Beta
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cutlass Blue, armed to the teeth!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, my fighters. Hornet F7C-M, Avenger and Gladiator.
    [​IMG]
    Hornet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Avenger
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gladiator, with bomb bay doors open
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Mar 2015
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My house mate and I downloaded it fine, no issues. Only annoying thing so far is not recieving REC from private matches, as we've done a race and a co-op swarm. This could be due to the free flight still being active, so we don't technically own the ships we flew I guess :s

Edit: Cei, can you go upstairs in the 'taili yet, as this was bugged before...

7. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

LTI only means you wont have to keep paying for insurance, which may keep going up if you're a careless pilot.
    Everything else is the same, so theres no increased urgency to getting a replacement, the common ships will be hanging around so available immediately, going all the way to the rarer ships which you'll potentially have to wait a while. Its like cars, a Ford Focus you'd have no trouble getting hold of, but a R-R Phantom is likely to take a while.

I do wonder whether CIG would be selling ships at these prices if they were starting today with all of them planned already. Cos starting out with $40/50/100/200 type tiers isnt uncommon for a crowd-funding campaign, nor is a $1k tier. But when you go from crowd-funding for 6 ships to prove interest for raising investment, to saying 'lets stick with crowd funding' you've then got to justify all the prices of future ships in with those you've already put a price tag on.

I'd imagine prices would be half what they are, but they're never going to change that and for all the posts saying the Vanguard is too high on the RSI Forums, i've seen people say they'll still buy 2. Many probably still will buy one, regardless of their opinion.

I dont have plans to spend more, but theres ships i might melt for, if they interest me. This isnt one, but the price CIG slap on them still impacts me in that respect, it means i have to sacrifice more or not bother.

8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

<-- Green with envy :thumb:

9. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Wow. Super shiny ships :)
    Nice line-up Cei!

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, is fixed. There's a shot of B deck in the gallery. It has the sleeping berths that double as ejection pods and the observation/gunnery bubble.

EDIT: Obviously my 890 Jump isn't in there, but by all accounts it is too big to fit in current hangars. I also don't get why we can't fit two Cutlasses in a bay, one taking up the whole thing is silly.

11. rainbowbridge

awesome post Cei

one thing that interests me is just how far can Chris push for the universe to be real, that is to say, how close can they get it that you are free to do as you wish, obviously there are going to be some limitations but as far as I am concerned when you step through the portal Dorothy, it should be another living breathing universe able to sustain an economy, a socal network, a political and military universe, piracy, guns for hire, stealth missions, all guns blazing, taking a planet and setting up a mining shop.

They should make a game that puts eve to shame but keeps it reasonable simple, if that's even possible.

I think a lot of the game should be done in game, so that is your interface is in the game not through GUI.

You want to work on your ships you do it in the game and look into the interfaces of the computers in the game.

Do we even have any other game or simulators as a guide to doing some thing like the dream of star citizen. Example do we have any massive multiplayer games in which 50 people or more were required to run a game asset?

There is going to be a real strain on the multiplayer aspect of the game regarding comms because those 10 man ships or higher are going to require some smart way for the captian to manage so many people below him, like each depart will have sub channels if your working in flight deck, engineering, weapons .

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

How much have you spent on this so far, Cei, if you don't mind me asking?

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Way, way, way, way too much. Comfortably in to four figures spread out over the last two and a half years (or however long it has been since funding started). However, I haven't purchased a new ship for a long time - the Mustangs have been obtained by switching out other ships (I used to have a Gladius). My only ongoing cost is a yearly subscription.

rb, that is exactly what they're doing. The MobiGlas interface is going to be your in-game interface for everything. The only traditional "menu" is likely for video settings etc.

EDIT: I'm liking the changes to the Hornet, especially the colour scheme. No longer just dark/grey, the white looks lovely.

14. rainbowbridge

I have spent a lot of money recently on un-necessary items, I sent the author of space engine a free dk2 last week via Finland to Russia just because it was the right thing to do, also commissioned a car, track, two cars with track and three cars and track for Assetto Corsa.
    one track is 500 euros.

15. Parge

Jesus Christ, where do you get that kind of cash?

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Pimping, obviously.

17. rainbowbridge

Eve Valkyrie Fanfest 2015 VR Gameplay, Now Running on Oculus Rift Crescent Bay

Full Screen Me

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Well-Known Member

A concern I have is this cash cow may be hard to give up when SC 1.0 is meant to go live.

Do they plan a way of keeping these expensive purchases of in-game content going? What I have read says no, but their actions say yes.

19. Parge

They'll be an initial bump due to people buying into the game, and you'll be able to buy UEC credits using real world currency.

Tell you what though, if it takes 50 hours to get a constellation without buying UEC, people are going to whine so much about the 'grind', and if it doesn't people who bought them for $250 are going to whine about them being so easy to obtain and their purchase being devalued.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Chris Roberts has said that he reckons Star Citizen will cost about $100m all in by the time it is done, so he's still planning on pulling just a bit under $25m more in funding in prior to launch. It's possible, based on how insanely well funding has gone so far, but I think it may be why we're seeing ships costing three figures on a regular basis rather than smaller ones.

Once SC launches they can scale back their spending massively on development. Teams will be kept on to keep content rolling, but like all studios they can slash headcount. Essentially their on-going costs will be the servers/bandwidth and new content, both of which are a lot cheaper than developing the game itself. So, CIG don't need to keep up their current funding drive by selling ships and they switch to selling UEC with a cap to prevent it getting silly. I'm sure this will bring in plenty of dough, at least equivalent to if they were running subscriptions MMO style.

Basically, I think their finances are likely to be sound which reduces the temptation to provide a pay-to-win store.