Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Well, played 3.0 instead of sleeping last night...such a mixed bag.

Being able to land on planets is just awesome, no word of a lie. However, performance is abysmal. Also, the view is now massively zoomed in.

2. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Bloody hell. 3.0 is a train wreck. This is going to cause a few more refunds I think.

It should not have been released in this state, but you know that upper management wanted something out before the end of 2017...

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, the view is crap. Does the FOV slider help (I've not tried)?

4. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Not from what I've seen. Annoyingly, my surround screen set up exacerbates that further. Surround gaming in SC has always been a little flaky though, with issues coming and going.

Fun fact - if you lose a ship in the PU, you can't fly a ship in AC. I lost a recced Gladius and now I can't fly my Sabre in AC. Go figure.

TTK with guns is now ridiculously high too. Some of the best players in the game are struggling with AI ships as shields recharge in an instant - less able players are simply unable to kill anything. Unfortunately this means that AC has turned yet again into a missile fest - the leading BR player as of writing is a particularly well known missile spammer who only does well on the scoreboards when the missiles are broken.

Then there's the 'only able to rec literally one weapon at a time' bug...

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Mod Amateur

So what are users' opinions of 3.0 and Star Citizen more generally now the big 3.0 release has hit?

6. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Avoid 3.0 like the plague.

However, if they get everything working...

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I wouldn't say 'avoid it like the plague' at all. I've been getting a solid 25/26 fps - which is JUST about playable and I've also put a few hours in getting all my controller mapping etc setup. which has made the game immensely more enjoyable. There really is a lot of buttons to remember but such is life.

Tried to do a couple of missions, but not clear at all where to go and seemingly no marker on the starmap. However, just flying around is pretty spectacular. I grabbed a starfarer yesterday and flying that really does give you a good sense of what piloting the bigger ships will be like. There is a real sense of 'weight' about them and manoeuvring is an artform. You have to massively anticipate your moves before you make them which is a completely different experience to the one you get in a Buccaneer or Hornet (I still can't decide if I should go Bucc or Hornet yet btw - anyone flown both?)

Anyway, I would probably refine what Pete J said, and recommend that you give 3.0 a try if you are a) prepared to spend a while setting up control to your liking, and b) have low expectations and just want to try out a few basic game mechanics. If you've only got an hour or two to game a week, I'd stick to other finished games for the time being, and come back in 6 months or so time.

8. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Mod Amateur

Sounds reasonable. Some polish and performance improvements over the coming patches and I'm sure it will be enjoyable. 2.0 when first released was ridiculous, but it ended up being fairly stable (albeit with enduring issues).

9. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

3.0 has done nothing to suggest they can get a live game working this side of 2020. Even if they do there is nothing to suggest it won’t be a buggy mess.

Problem with online games you get one shot you launch a mess and your toast.

Sq42 will be the better title I think long term as it will be offline and solo play.

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That's not entirely true, there's rare cases like Final Fantasy XIV which possibly had one of the worst launches ever for an MMO... to the point that they ended up having to redevelop some of the game and do a complete relaunch with FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Not sure Star Citizen will have that chance though as they've been having an extremely long alpha/beta to discover and iron out issues, so the official launch is going to have to simply work.
    I wouldn't mind if a few features aren't ready at launch, but the core of the game needs to work as intended with as little performance struggles as possible.

I do worry that they're going to just keep moving the goalposts because they're making things overly complicated early on and creating more work than they need to focus on...

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

Of course this is a summary of a counter filing, so it's rather biased, but the supporting documents do not make good reading for Crytek.

Not least of which Crytek signed a contract apparently waiving any rights to damages in the event of the contract being broken or ended early. If it's true that's truly genius.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Crytek lawsuit was always one of desperation from a company that can't afford to keep the lights on. CIG's counter filing, complete with the actual signed contract, is hilarious in how it rips Crytek's claims to shreds. The whole "it's two games" thing is literally in the contract Crytek signed.

13. fix-the-spade

That's not true at all.
    Counter Strike: Global Offensive (and Source too)
    Warframe
    Final Fantasy XIV (so bad Squenix went away and remade the game almost from scratch)
    Ark: Survival Evolved
    Every single Battlefield Game (but especially 2, 3 and 4 aka the very best ones)
    More recently The Division.

Plenty of the biggets online games have messy launches, some like Warframe and BF4 took over a year to get going properly. Of course if the game is bad and the launch also botched then it will disappear beneath the waves never to be seen again, but a good game will keep going as long as the developer/publisher is willing to work at it to make things work. I suspect RSI/CIG have a plan more along the lines of launch and start fixing than launch and abandon.

14. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

They had bugs but could all be played to a certain extent.

Final fantasy I got given for free by square as did most players who brought the original game. It was basically a game that let you do 6 quests for xp a day and had no real game to it beside that.

There is loads of really huge online games that you failed to list. They no longer really exist as there original intent or have completely gone

Age of Conan ( went free to play not sure it still exists )
    Warhammer
    Star Trek ( still exists but free 2 play title with all it entails)
    The matrix online ( servers closed )

Star Wars the old republic is the biggest cost 400mil to build and another 100 in advertising. It was fine till max level but had no end game and nothing to really do. Bioware lost enough money for it to be the last game it released as a studio on its own. EA games took over shortly after launch.

Not every game gets a second chance to shine or has a company willing to fix its issues like square was.

Star Citizen after it’s delays will need a good launch.

15. fix-the-spade

Bioware Pandemic was bought by EA in 2007, shortly after the release of Mass Effect. Bioware had been a wholly owned subsidiary of EA for slightly more than 4 years when The Old Republic was released, The Old Republic was jointly funded by Lucasarts and EA, not Bioware.

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

• New RSI website has gone live.
    • No Gamescom event this year (some staff will be at bar citizens though).
    • Citizen Con will be held in Austin (no dates given).

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Mod Amateur

There is a 3.01 "quality of life" patch to be released, fixing some of the most egregious problems. Although this is good news, be certain that major flaws will still be present.

I imagine *something like* the 3.32 QOL patch will be the first time I'll really want to play it.

18. Pete J

Pete J RIP Teelzebub

Just wish they'd fix the effing FOV problem with triple screens that wasn't there in previous versions. At least with 3.01 I can actually fly my ships again. Combat is utter shite though. Bring back 2.4 minus the bugs.

Last edited: 18 Feb 2018 at 16:51