1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

The GF is going to kill me I just got a RSI CONSTELLATION! ...So whats everyone naming theirs

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Any one that wants to catch up in a nice way with star citizen should watch the hull truth, its nice short show that lists all the latest info's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWzWNTURI5c&list=UUunHmlocgG4ys3Z4CeQ-AGQ&index=1

Any one buying any thing other than the thrust master warthog needs to have a reason.

Its like a one million pound flight hotas it really is some thing special, if it was not that good I would not post it here but truth be told you buy the warthog hotas for star citizen nothing else is even remotely in the ball park.

very nervous here.. tomorrow I am to put on a Avegant Glyph, I am already a oculus rift fan, my fav book is William Gibson's Nuromancer. I will post back if I think it will be good for star citizen and what retina splash of image is like. I'm quite nervous about it. If its not good I will say, if its amazing Ill also post that, Also I will be putting it on in a forward looking perspective of what it would be like with total FOV coverage.

Also sorry but star citizen putting forward a "water world"... who the ... wants a water world when you can have sci fi worlds, or avater type worlds... a whole planet covered by water.. yeah that's really exciting NOT.

3. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I'm not spending £280 on a joystick :)
    I have spent enough on SC as it is :thumb:

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yes, £280 on a joystick is pretty insane. I'm going to get a Cyborg FLY 5 to tide me over til the final game comes out and I can make a more informed decision. I certainly won't be spending more than £100 though.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, this :p

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Re: Warthog - I'm going with an X52 Pro because I already had it for Freespace2.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Would never spend £280 on a joystick, Some person on hardware forum wants to spend £300 on Audio stuff for it. That £580 is a 780ti custom cooled edition which actually stands a chance of maxing the game at 1080.

Add in the hardware needed to get it running and people are going a bit OTT. For a game no one has played.

Would always personally wait till you can play some bit of the launch game before purchasing extra hardware or joysticks and stuff. Is it just assumption that joysticks will be supported or have they come out and said this is a list of supported joysticks at the moment?

8. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its hard not to support them, as they can be configured just like K/B and mouse (although this can be a PITA). I do agree about dumping hundreds on stuff though, we don't know whats what with it yet.

9. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I wish someone would bring out a new, top of the line force feedback joystick. I would be willing to part with up to £500 for such a device.

10. Thedarkrage

The only force feedback joystick i remember was the Microsoft sidewinder.

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

glyph compared to the oculas rift is a big step down, in experience.

You need to really work to set it up left and right image, the image is some what impressive but 1/4 the size you would want, there is next to no presence.

Its like looking through one of those toys from the 80s with the microfilm on the round disc and you push the lever on the side, you have to sort of fight through the plastic to get to see the image, Glyph's Virtual display does not bite your head off and suck you in, although the headphones which are closed do stop external sound, you cant hear any thing outside of them and it will also come with bosh type sound reduction.

It does what it says, the image is clear vivid but it does not impact you and make you say wow this is a retina display, it could just be a small high def. screen in the visor.

defiantly a technology I will be looking at once they increase the FOV, have head tracking, as it is now its a proof of concept, a small little jewel that needs to be unwrapped from its current packaging blown the f up and actually used to saturate a persons visual senses.

We have moved on from the view that it is trying to convey, the small little window into freshness is there and it is worth looking out for what ever they do next once they get the ball rolling and they gen 2 and gen 3 their technology.

If you have not put on an oculus rift then you wont be spoiled, if you have used an rift and put on a glyph, you will be disappointed it will feel like going back 15 steps. It has a heap of potential and will sell like hot cakes irrespective.

It has made me realize just how impressive and important the rift is, the HD rift is what I want with as best as possible LCD screens what ever they maybe, obsolutely the HD version has to ship in time for star citizen, like there is not even any lee-way on that subject, the RIFT HD consumer HAS to ship 2-3 months before star citizen ships. Its not rocket science now they have the concept and have produced a working unit for CES so I fully expect the HD version to be out in 6 to 9 months on the outside.

12. Parge

Why does the Rift have to ship in time for SC? Star Citizen is just some game that uses the rift, and if you think their destinies are inextricably intertwined then you are in for a shock.

Also, 'its not rocket science'. No its not, but its one of the most complex and difficult hardware challenges of recent years.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2014
  13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Parge, have you put a rift on?

14. Parge

Yes indeed.

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Well that's great, I'm sure SC will work great on single screen, multi monitor and vr technology just great, allowing people to chose their preferred view into the game.

16. Parge

Thats what they say. Don't get me wrong OR is going to AMAZING with SC, but don't forget there are hundreds of other games in development for the OR.

17. Thedarkrage

Just been a new patch cant say much has changed for me :(

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mainly Freelancer and Cutlass updates, but the inside of my Freelancer has bugged, so its pitch black. The new cockpit looks good though :) And its annoying as the Firing Range still taunts me as the Freelancers guns still don't work :( No pew pew for Pete :(

19. rollo

rollo Modder

We still dont really have the Rift Consumer version to buy yet, Expecting Rift HD to ship for SC is optimistic at best. Most likely the first version will launch to mass market.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

No pew pew for Mikey either:(
    Why can they simply give access to all guns they have ready for everyone to play with?!
    not just those bought separately...:wallbash: