1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-16, 2 Oct 2017.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Nope
    The prime timeline is the original timeline in which TOS, TNG, DS9 and VOY are set. However, if you look at the contents of Lorca's secret room you'll see a Tribble and a Gorn skeleton - This undermines the storylines from the TOS episodes in which they're featured. These discrepancies, along with the new drive system (that we must assume doesn't work as it's no longer a thing later in the timeline), could be written off in two ways - 1) That Section 31 keep a bunch of secrets, or 2) that this is the prime timeline, mirror universe. For my own part, I'm almost certain Spock is going to be introduced sporting a goatee.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's definitely not mirror universe - no terran empire, no imperial starfleet. The mirror universe has things like torture and killing of officers as commonplace.

Section 31 is very credible, the captain certainly has an air of section 31 about him.

4. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Section 31 is obvious....the Discovery designation is NCC-1031.

As for my mirror universe theory, I'm trying to remain optimistic. I know there are problems with it, but I'd rather they rewrote the emirp timeline than the prime timeline. In the mirror universe there are still ways they could bend the continuity make it fit by simple virtue of us not having seen as much of it as the normal timeline; Better that than relenting and admitting that they've completely rewrote or undermined all franchise entries before it....Oh, and erased the optimistic soul of Star Trek.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2017
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm all for the Roddenberry optimism, but a lot people seem to think [and clearly the producers do too] Trek was at it's best when it was arguably at it's furthest from Roddenberry's vision.

Chain of Command, Best of Both Worlds, In the Pale Moonlight... etc. Hardly overflowing with optimism...

But in amongst it we do get stuff like Darmok, The Inner Light and Far Beyond the Stars.

I've not seen any of discovery yet, but i'd like to see some of Picard's...

...a semblance of trying to keep the spark of optimism alive as the galaxy goes to hell around them. IMO that's the kind of Trek we need right now. [Even though i'm fairly sure that line was a not-so-subtle dig at the direction Trek had taken over the years]

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

They are unpleasant episodes that take place in an optimistic future, in all of those episodes we know exactly who is right and who is wrong. In the pale moonlight comes closest to the kind of moral ambiguity we've seen so far in DSC, and that was mostly committed by a character we know to be morally ambiguous at best.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's not only one alternative universe.

Plus - that instant jump thing could be a variant of the Voyager trans-warp tech OR the gate-style tech alluded to in the gamma quadrant of DS9.

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

If this is Prime universe I don't want Section 31, it was great in DS9 and Into Darkness but it's looking likely, black Starfleet badges, secret projects, "rescuing" prisoners and getting them involved.

Ah well, it's saying Star Trek on the tin so it must be

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Looked more like an Infinite Improbability Drive to me.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Actually doesn't seem far off

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

YES! OMG Imagine if Star Trek meets HHGTTG

"What kind of ship is that? Hail them!"
    "Hi, I'm Zaphod Beeblebrox"

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

New Star Trek, how on earth did I miss this? The first I was aware was reading this thread, off to watch tonight.

Guest-16 and goldstar0011 like this.
  13. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Where have you been living ? Under a rock ;)

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

\\oo/

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Holymoly episode 5! They swear! There's violence! There are happily familes! They still brush their teeth in the 23rd century and .. OMG the last 5 seconds!

goldstar0011 likes this.
  17. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I’m not sure I like that they swear. But there’s so much lack of continuity that I’m just getting on with it.

Those last five seconds. I watched them three times over to be sure I was seeing what I was seeing.

Then my first thought was to google for spoilers. I didn’t though. Staying strong.

18. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I must have missed something, ill need to re watch the last few minutes!

**Edit**

ooooooh!

Last edited: 18 Oct 2017
  19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yeah, I had to watch those last few seconds again, just to verify what I thought I saw.

The swearing is fine by me - it doesn't feel like a family show in the same vein as TNG, TOS or voyager. They didn't *need* to do it, but I don't mind at all.

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's very very rare something knocks me off my seat but I was almost screaming at 11:30pm. I did Google for clarification rather than spoilers, and it is to do with
    mirror universe

I'm not sure I like they swear either even if it's definitely not a fam show anymore (fine by me). Although it did 'surprise' them and they are 'younger' crew kind of made it acceptable, but still to also think that they would use the same swear words in future mmm it just didn't ring right.