1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Star Trek fans

Discussion in 'General' started by Kovoet, 4 Dec 2012.

1. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I think Gene and Majel would be turning in their graves.

I've seen the first 'reboot' and its just not Star Trek. Its an action thriller set a little bit in a space ship which might possibly be in space for a few minutes.

I'm sure I'll watch this eventually, but the poster sets me up for disappoint.

Star Trek, y u no trekking in the stars?

Last edited: 4 Dec 2012
  2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Get your coat, you must.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Word.

4. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Ironically one of the reasons why I liked it was because it set the scene as to how the characters all came to be there. And the humour. And the special effects.

Exactly what would you expect them to be doing for nearly 2 hours in space on a screen to make it more "spacy"? More aliens? More space suits? More film of the bridge?

5. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I think the point is probably that late 80s/90s trek was more about exploration, relationships and out and out geekiness (Bombard everything with tachyons) than the reboot. While trek in name, it lost the spirit of the older shows.

You could liken it to Tim Burton/Christopher Nolan Batman -- both excellent visions of the universe in their own right, but pretty different in overall tone.

6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I was never a fan of the earlier stuff - too geeky ;)

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Lol agreed

8. Zoon

Meh, except for The Voyage Home the original Star Trek and the TNG films were ALL trekking among the stars. Yes they were on planets at times - think Generations and First Contact - but they were clearly intended to be alien.

It was still sci-fi.

The 2009 reboot 'Star Trek' was just a run of the mill action flick with a '**** you almost 50 years of writing, lore, history and a couple hundred universe-years of plot now we've re-written history' - really necessary? I'd have thought there's still PLENTY of ground to cover in between that they could butcher without just gutting the core part of what makes Star Trek itself.

All these reboots remind me of when I was at primary school. We used to play 'tanks' - someone would be a bigger tank and insist that he 'killed' everyone else. When he finally got 'killed' he'd claim he had a 'super-repair bot' and he was back to life.

"No you didn't kill me, because I invented a time machine and went back to before you killed me and killed you first so I'm still the best tank."

Every time one kid does this, the others just go off and start a new game without him.

TL;DR to the producers/writers/directors - you didn't write Star Trek so what makes you think you can rewrite it and still call it Star Trek? Just my opinion.

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

ST:TMP was actually a remake of Season 2 episode "The Changeling" :thumb:

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I feared I was alone in the universe... with this view point!

11. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

FTFY :thumb:

Basically, what Zoon said; if StarTrek is 'too geeky' for someone, then it is not for them- go watch Starwars instead. JJAbrams basically crapped all over decades of work to build up the Trek universe and indeed wrote a run-of-the-mill SCI-FI action film which relied largely on special effects and lens flare to make it exciting, vs actual story telling with a deeply woven plot and character story arcs.

In addition, the designer for the sets and starships should be beaten to death for his abomination of a 're-envisaged' Enterprise.

12. Zoon

QFT.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/panoramas/bridge.html

Hardwood floors? Its a bloody starship.

What's with all the lens flare on the lights? The original Enterprise and the NX from Star Trek Enterprise were very 'industrial' in their high-tech-ness, giving the impression of a somewhat young race of explorers.

When TNG came along you got the 'high-tech' 'enlightened' approach, prime directive and all that, showing years of evolution and scientific development.

TL;DR I agree with the comment and refer back to my earlier points, its just not Star Trek. Call it Star Ship Commander or something.

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

In the poster - is that (future) London?

I can see the Gherkin on the right, and the London Eye on the left.
    Anyone else?

14. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Good spot on the London eye

15. MrP

MrP seeking inspiration

really, in star trek??

you sure your not getting confused with B5?

16. steveo_mcg

Good eye, I wouldn't be surprised if they lifted skyscrapers from all over to give them an "iconic" sky line. Not sure I'd have picked a giant ferris wheel for that mind.

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The new Star Trek movie was very enjoyable. What were you expecting? Retro-imagined set design and technicolour clothing?

Get over it. It was an enjoyable film and far better than the majority of the Star Trek movies. The only disappointment was the need to wheel out Nimoy to support the story. Well, not so much to support the story, but it would have been preferable to conclude it, rather than imply his continued presence in further outings. I'd have been much happier if they had cut all ties with the original cast completely, prior to the next release.

YEHBABY likes this.
  18. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

+1 to that! a deeply woven plot and character story? you must be joking

Maybe there aren't enough "star trek geeks" (aka original series and numerous variations of just with different titles extreme fans) to make a movie on that scale in that limited vein to turn a worthwhile profit?

David likes this.
  19. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

I'm not a star trek person - but if you look on a higher res image you can see st pauls behind the gherkin

20. steveo_mcg

Then why call it trek?