1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Trek Online: Season 2 Worth It?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WarrenJ, 2 Aug 2010.

1. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

Just wondered how far Star Trek Online has come over the last few months, i know Season 2 has been released recently and a new level cap. Just wondered if it's worth getting back into. Ill only really be playing when GF is watching soaps.

2. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

In short, yes, but...

Yes there's alot more content compared to when it was released, but a lot of things still need working on. I think look to Season 3.0 for a more complete build, but compared to how the game shipped, the guys left working on the game have done an outstanding job so far.

For example, while Ker'rat seems to be fixed, B'tran missions are still bugged and the VA specific B'tran cluster currently looks like a parking lot with everyone in doing dailies. Fortunately The Klingon Scout Force and Gorn Minefield fleet actions now count as VA dailies which makes up for it. In fact, anything that involves teaming with random peeps is worth doing imo.

If you already have access to Gamma Orionis, do yourself a favour and fly top right to the Pelia Sector. It's been given a new look which does away with the cartoonishness of the current sector space view. Hopefully they'll roll the graphical change out to all other sectors before long. Also, talking of Pelia, fluidic space fleet actions... looks soo pretty.

Anyhoo; if you get bored shooting stuff, the new diplomatic missions make a nice change of pace. Non-combat missions give Diplomatic XP as well as a handful of all new diplomacy missions at Vulcan, Bajor, Starbase 39 and Memory Alpha. Newspaper missions are awarded at Envoy level, (essentially a free non-combat mission in a star cluster.) Consul specific missions are currently absent, but the first of the transwarp (to K7) rewards comes in handy. In all, you'll probably advance faster through the diplomatic ranks if you team up with a fleety or friend.

Starship interiors are in complete with sliding doors, but they're not customisable style wise and there's no functionality yet. You can find a poker table in your ships lounge, but at current it's just for show. Dabo... is on DS9 but I haven't played it yet. The rewards are a little weak, holo-emitters which last for 15 minutes total, but it gives you something to do on DS9.

Fauna still needs to be added on planets and the PvP queues took a hit in 2.0, although as ever, they're working on it. Actually, a patch was rolled out last night, but I'm not sure what it contained.

VA ships are in, essentially the same tier as current RA ships but with a unique power each. Personally I stuck with my science recon. Ship models in general got an overhaul, most notably the Galaxy and Intrepid classes.

Soo, yeah, lots of changes.

Also, if you're on Sol station, make sure to look out of the windows.

EDIT: You might want to watch the last episode of STOked to keep up with the latest changes.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  3. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat New Member

Apart from a few more bugs season 2 is big boost for game. To be honest this is how the game should have launched. Really think it wasnt ready. The diplomatic missions are cool and unclocking the abilities to transwarp to various station helps long trawls.

Downside is pvp que is a mess at moment.

New missions are cool and theres going to be new monthly/weekly missions as well.

My main grump is mem alpha and crafting is still pointless once you reach RA5 and the science ship officer been badly nerfed same as tac. So alot of pvp is cruiser borefest.

But on the whole STO with season 2 is heading in right direction.

4. Nomad2k3

Nomad2k3 New Member

I personally just resubbed for a month to check it out, seems a lot better now than it was.
    Although tbh I haven played since march, but it seem's much improved, still quite grindy tho.

5. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Science officers or science ships? My main is an engineer in a recon science ship and it's a pretty reasonable combination. Personally, I think science are more of a tackling class so leavin team healing for the cruisers and focus on tackling the enemy.

At VA with Almost all the performance skills maxed out my power levels are at 104, 58, 52, 68. The EPS Power Transfer III engineering skill buffs everything for the first attack run, followed by energy siphon and batteries until EPS has cooled down.

Five phaser beams and an EPS flow regulator deal steady amounts of damage via broadside with the ship being quick enough to turn into combat to deliver a few high yield quantum torpedoes when it matters.

The rest is about combining skills. Tyken's rift combined with target shield or engine subsystems will stall your target, lowering their damage resistances and even temporarily lowering their shields.

Hazard emitters, polarize hull, science team, engineering team, emergency power to shields, shield batteries and miracle worker should keep you alive. You can use most of them on your team mates as well, but your own ship should take priority in any situation. Feedback pulse is great for either deterring people in PvP or upping your own DPS if they don't take the hint.

On the ground... not so sure. As an engineer I take the bunker kit to focus on team defence. My engineering bridge officers have the ability to drop turrets, so if I get to take the pair of them, we could end up with three phaser turrets, a quantum mortar and various health and shield recharge emitters.

6. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat New Member

yeah latest patchh PVP ques alot better and item drops better. Still waiting for the new monthly episodes. Still have issues as game can be bit empty at times lots players just log on for daily btran run etc then disapear.

But at least pvp seems to be running better. Still can be boring cruiser fest in some matches. And Fed vs Kling is still to unbalanced to bother with. Fedvs fed much better pvp game.

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Necrobump.

Anyone been playing the weekly episodes, specifically last weekend's 'what lies beneath'?

Played it through with a team mate, and we thought it had a pretty awesome Aliens/Bioshock vibe going on. Wasn't expecting the voice over work, which came as a nice (all be it, creepy) touch about halfway through.