1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

You get a month free's time with the game.

2. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

I'll throw down my two cents on the game for those of you that are still on the fence. My experience with mmos in general is uncertain to me but played time on all my wow accounts put me at 12k + hours, and that's not including every other semi "successful" mmo I've played alot (Conan, Aion, Rift & Warhammer).

Played SWToR since early beta up till current time and now have one main Sith Marauder at 32 and a Sith Sorc at 20.

Crafting & Gathering - You can have one crafting proffesion and two gathering proffesions. One should pick a crafting proffesion relevant to ones class (naturally) so I went with Artifice which is used to create Lightsabers and mods/augments/color stones/hilts (gems ala wow if you like). As far as I can tell this proffesion is far from complete as the first lightsaber one can craft is req lvl 48.. But regardless the other proffesions are massively over picked so getting ones hands on gear isn't hard.

Starting to sound like a con but what I'm getting to is how they actually work, leveling them and how to gather resources. When questing you always have a companion out either a healer, tank or a dps depending on the situation (diffrent classes start with diffrent kinds of companions). Right clicking a node sends your companion running to it and gathering it for you which is great because you can for example channel your ooc (out of combat) heal after fighting some mobs and gather at the same time.

You can only have one companion out at a time but the ones you are not currently using you can send out individually on "crew missions" relevant to your proffesions and have them gather resources for you as well. This costs credits but credits are very easy to save up as you get a massive amount from questing and vendoring greens/greys. Items you craft can be reverse engineered (Disenchant if you like) to approx half of the mats needed to make them, how genius is that!

A side note if you pick a crafting proffesion that does not require two different gathering proffs you should defiantly get Slicing. Slicing is in theory opening of credit stuffed lock boxes. At 180 out of 400 skill level you start getting green lock boxes and better that each contain several k of credits. This is most likely going to get nerfed so cash in while you can!

So all in all for proffesions I really enjoy how they function, just perhaps not so much what you can make depending on what you pick. For all I know this will be patched in the near future.

Leveling - Leveling is fun, does not take too long nor does it go too fast. The "open world mini instances" are all right, tho if you're in-front of the herd (leveling faster than most) these group quests are not really worth your time waiting and ending up with people you need to teach how to play their class etc. Every planet (major quest area) I've left so far I've left 2-3 levels above the mob/quest-level of the area. Some planets have too many quests... if you're a completionist you might do them all but you'll be very over-leveled for the next planet. And whacking down green mobs and quests (lower level than yourself) will in the long run take you longer to level. My recipe for questing is finish class quests of course, and do enough quests to get all the commendation gear you want (each planet have a commendation vendor which you can swap quest reward tokens for good gear) and then generally you'll be high enough for the next planet.

Combat - Combat is ok, not great but ok. By that I'm slightly influenced by how unbalanced the classes are atm, but that's normal early in an mmo. But this is probably the most unbalanced launch I've taken place in. My main atm which I'll probably stick by like a stubborn mule because I'm just that kind of person is a Sith Marauder. A dual lightsaber wielding pure dps breed described in the class tab as:

"Never hesitating, never faltering, there is no swifter bringer
    of pain and damage in the galaxy."

That's apparently just a joke of sorts as the Sith Marauder is atm one of if not the least damage dealing dps class. I'm getting deja vu's often from my 3 years of enhancement shaman raiding.. They have alot of PVP feats but I hope they're looking into fixing our damage output sooner rather than later.

There is no auto-attack, but I'm not missing it to be honest. Apart from that the mechanics of wow combat are identical. Again I don't mind that either because straying too far from "The" mmo combat formula has never been that good of an idea cough conan cough.

Cant say that much about PVP yet as low level PVP is quite pointless in my eyes. But yes there are battlegrounds ala wow with some new and fun modes like for example the tag football one (where tagging means BLOODY MURDER).

Space Combat - Is just a bollocks flash browser game.

Travel - Getting around before 25 is actually the worst. Levels 1-14 you're running at normal speed from place to place with a 30min cd fast-travel (wow style HS but you can pick what bind point you wish to travel too). At 14 you get Sprint which is an ooc run speed increase of 35%. And at 25 you get Speeder piloting and can start using the lowest level speeder which has a movement speed increase of 90% (only minus is they look like wheelchairs from the year 3000). Speeder Piloting level 2 and 3 are unlocked at character level 40 and 50 where as SP2 is a 100% increase and SP3 is 110%. Not a large jump but ground mounts cant really be much faster without causing problems loading the areas. The Speeder Piloting level 2 & 3 speeders (mounts) look absolutely bloody awesome tho, so at least that's good. And slightly justifies the price I guess.

Interface - You cant go wrong setting up a basic interface for an mmo. Action bars, buffs, minimap, scrolling combat texts, a quest helper & unitframes. The Standard UI is ok, but man it needs a facelift....

Which brings me to my biggest problem with this game. For me, a game-killer. One that will probably end the life cycle of it in a couple months for me. And that is that there is no mod support. The reason for this is simple yet incredibly lazy. If you allow mods in your mmo the first mod addon writers (also a hobby of mine) will create is a damage meter. And that would fuel the forum trollers, theory crafters and general player base with factual numbers that show how unbalanced the classes are atm. And from that they would be put under massive pressure to fix it (because what serious mmo player has patience..). They would fail, and the player base would drop like Geronimo on may 2'nd.

This I have no respect for whatsoever. You can not expect to be taken seriously releasing an mmo with no mod support. Roumers say developers are on the fence on this but I dont see them coming to their senses anytime soon.

All in all I enjoy it, will most likely but several hundred hours into it but at the end of the day this is just another time well untill Diablo 3 is released. The issiue of mod support has let me down so much I'm actually thinking of getting Mists of Pandaria expansion for wow when that's out. I know right, that game died with TBC and everyone knows it.

-awok3N

3. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Awok3N makes some interesting points. The only issue I don't fully agree with is the controversial subject of addons.

Personally addons do nothing for me. After 6 years of Warcraft I only ever used 3 addons and only 1 consistently. Deadly Boss Mods, Need to Know and Omen Threat Meter. I uninstalled Omen recently along with recount. I decided they did nothing but actually degrade my game experience. Recount is the bane of my existance in the game. I really hate it. Unfortunately it can feel like youve been crippled if you don't run it. I just feel with the likes of world of logs and other tools a damage meter in game just isn't required.

People will always try and find the mathmatically highest DPS builds but really I don't care if I'm top of a table with a bigger number next to my name. The only use a damage meter serves is to see who is under performing and that can be done with an application like world of logs.

I never modified the interface much. Need to Know was handy for displaying buff durations on various targets and myself but beyond that the interface for me was fine.

Onto TOR:

I actually like the interface in TOR for the most part. Its functional and has all the essentials even if the layout feels a bit back to front at times. I'm sure you can change some stuff but the chat window in the top left just feels odd. Id prefer it bottom left where I'm used to and I don't know of a way to move it.

You don't seem to be able to ping the mini map which I find odd. Nor as far as I'm aware is there a reload ui function should it bug out for any reason.

Minor gripes aside I'm having a lot of fun. Leveling and quests are interesting. I can't speak much on class balance. I'm killing stuff at a satisfactory rate and my skills make me want to use them and frankly thats all I care about.

If Bioware decided to put a function into the game that tracked your personal performance be it healing done, threat generated, damage done etc that cant be linked in chat and only you can see (and have the option to hide) then maybe I'd be okay with it. What I don't want is dickheads spamming damage meters in group play for digital cock measuring sake.

TL:DR - I like the idea of no addons assuming the interface is up to scratch. If it isn't up to the task then it either needs to be improved or addons allowed. Damage Meters I can live without happily however.

4. awok3N

awok3N Who dares wins.

A customizable interface is a must have for me to be able to excel at ones task. I'm not saying I need it because I'm handicapped or anything. It's just a requirement for an mmo if you're not happy with the UI.

And if you're expected by a developer to look at one UI for the duration of the game it better be bloody spotless. And that's impossible. We all have different taste.

And the UI raid-wise for TOR makes little sense (again depending on the role you play). You said it yourself DBM for example, and for a healer you'd want something grid'like. Why one removes omen is beyond me =p And as for damage meters I don't think I've ever in my life linked it in party chat or whatnot, well I have if someone is doing less DPS than say a tank. But then the constructive criticism is very much needed.. You don't have to be a dick in the way you tell someone they are doing something wrong.

DMG Meters for me is in a raid situation a tool that tells me whether or not I'm doing the damage that is expected of me with the gear I'm using at any given time and situation. And for when leading raids or participating in raids seeing who's not performing at that time. Also the statistical breakdown of your used abilities and misses absorbs etc are very if not crucially useful to me.

The way you explain how people link meters is to me something I've only witnessed in PUGs. PUGs is something I try to avoid at all costs. PUGs are what's destroying the WoW developers focus and ruining content. To be fair to them tho casual is where the money's at, and they bloody well know it.

-awok3N

5. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

It's true my opinion on damage meters is tarnished by PuGs. In guild runs its hardly ever an issue. If it is said person usually meets a swift guild kick.

Work made it almost impossible for me to raid consistently so in the end I just gave up. I accept they are a useful tool and on hindsight I should have made my stance slightly clearer (after further consideration):

I don't mind mods of any kind. I mind the effect they have on the player community.

As a self development and personal performance monitoring tool they have their place. Although I stand by my personal PoV that the default UI I happen to like so I stick with it with a couple of additions. I totally accept for a long time Blizzard default raid frames were beyond bad but they are far better now sufficent for my purposes 90% of the time.

I'm in danger of making this thread becoming a WoW rant in a TOR thread so to drag it back on topic I totally agree TOR has its issues but they are far from unsolvable. Hopefully though Bioware are a bit swifter off the mark in realising the limitations of their design and taking steps to imrpve it than Blizzard are.

6. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

It's tempting to switch over from archaeology to slicing and cash in but I won't. I want to avoid going cookie cutter (pretty much unavoidable, when a certain skillset proves profitable everyone uses it) because while it's fun and games now to have 84,000 credits at level 20 from slicing, the after effect it will have on the economy will rear it's ugly head later or in the game's life if Bioware doesn't fix it.

I'm sticking with Artifice for now. I don't make any money at the moment because I reverse engineer everything I make but I do fine credit wise from Treasure Hunting.

7. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

On my Sith Warrior I have Archeology, Sythweaving and Underworld Trading. I got to 25 with 120k credits, with reverse engineering most of my stuff aswell. It's not at all hard to make credits without Slicing, but you do get alot more.

My Smuggler is level 22 with 180k.

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Not quite sure what you've been doing, but it's something wrong.

I've not been able to build any Lightsabers yet, but it's balanced by the fact that you have access to all the Hilts/Enhancements/Crystals for almost every other level, and since the first Lightsaber you get is moddable (as well as many other Lightsabers you find/get) it's all you really need.

The Hilt of a Lightsaber determines its base stats, so as long as you keep that the same level as you or similar you'll keep up with the loot drops.

I agree with Slicing, although i can't think of a Profession that doesn't require a mission skill.

All the skills bar slicing (i think) are supposed to be complementary with each other and they'll gather rare resources for the blue/purple procs.

The issue is that the Mission Skills (Investigation, Treasure Hunting etc.) can only be levelled up through running missions unlike the others which can be done through Crafting/Gathering and as such they're much more time based and, imo more annoying.

I think the issue is that they've made it so if you complete all the quests then you'll be exactly where you need to be.

Since i played through beta, i know exactly where i need to go and roughly the most efficient way to do quests (although the devs have made it fairly good). As such, i completed all the quests except for the Bonus Series and am right on track if not ever so slightly underlevelled.

The problem arises when you run Flashpoints, PvP, Space Combat and the like since they try to make the Exp competitive so you feel like you have a reason to do it.

I think at Lvl 20, i gained a full Level after 3-4 PvP Matches.

I agree with you on this one and it's been complained about hard on the forum.... even more amusing that they actually got a buff in the last patch of beta and were even weaker before that.

There does seem to be quite a divide on the forums about exactly how viable they are. I've seen quite a few posts talking about how whilst early game they're rather weak (i agree completely), lategame they'll become absolute monsters.

Apparently the Annihilation tree (Juyo) is the most viable now with the ability to place DoTs and bleeds on the target (with self healing).

As for the Carnage tree (Ataru), apparently that's the main tree that suffers from being completely late-game focused (you need Gore and Blood Frenzy), but once you get those (and ideally Massacre to replace Vicious Slash) your upfront damage becomes rather godly but falls off a bit whilst things are on cooldown.

Ultimately i can't comment on that since i've not played it at high level yet, but i did see a high level Marauder in a Huttball match the other day who i thought was practically dominating us.

Or a rather fun diversion from levelling.

No it's not amazing, nor is it like Eve but as a mini-game, i rather like it.

Reload UI is Ctrl+U.

I think you have to hit it twice (once to remove, the other to reenable).

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm loving my Jedi Knight Sentinel, but like the Sith counterpart it needs a bit more oomfff. The Trooper I did in beta was more powerful tbh. Still loving it though. Went Combat tree (Ataru), but Iam wondering if I should have gone Watchmen instead (Juyo). We'll see how it performs once I reach level 50.

10. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Fizzban, your warrior won't feel quite right until quite late in the game. Once you get more of your good abilities, you'll feel it's alot better. Although if you can't get into melee you're pretty much doomed.

Is anyone else experiencing huge FPS spike drops? I can be playing fine at 60+fps, then all of a sudden drop to 5 or below, and it becomes unplayable, sometimes it goes back to normal and sometimes remains at sub 5fps making it impossible to play.

I'm running an i5 760, 4GB RAM, 4850 512mb on 1366x768res, although it also happens on my other PC running i3 2130, 8GB RAM, 4850 512b on 1280x1040res.

11. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Similar to the Marauder, i believe consensus is that the Watchmen tree is the most viable (with the DoTs), but some people have been praising the lategame burst potential of Ataru since it's based around crits on your main attacks (like the ranged Saber thing you have - Force Scream for Warriors).

I think the main issue with the Marauder class itself compared to others is the fact that it's comparatively too squishy when sat next to other DPS classes.

Assassins/Shadows can stealth around everywhere and pick their fights, so it's not too much of an issue, also Shock (Project) is one of their main abilities and has a 10m range.

The Operative/Scoundrel are very similar, excelling in close quarters but can also kite you for a bit if they don't particularly want to engage straight away.

The Sage and Sorc. both have very long ranges on their abilities and can slow/stun you from relatively far away which makes up for their squishy-ness.

And lastly, the Bounty Hunter and Trooper are designed to be completely viable DPS classes, except also happen to wear Heavy Armor which also gives them the best mitigation of any other DPS class. Not to mention they aren't that lacking in CC either.

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Yeah I've been hearing that Watchman is better for lvling during pve. But after level 40 Combat picks up in both pve and pvp due to burst dps. I picked ataru because it looked quick. And while the damage aint bad, it could be better for a pure dps class. I am also pretty squishy, but it is pretty managable with the abilitys I have. It is a much harder class to get to grips with than say, the trooper, but living on the edge is fun! Always pushing to see what I can take.

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

When they hand out 18k+ XP per mission when I'm level 32, it's not really taking anything away from levelling, trust me. ;)

Four or five missions and I'm looking at almost a full level up!

14. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Wrong choice of words :p.

Yeah, i meant the more traditional Questing type of levelling lol.

15. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Yay, got my first World PvP kill (on a PvE server).

I was going to blitz out Tatooine: Bonus Series since i skipped it earlier and now being overlevelled, could easily solo it (Tatooine is Level 25-28, i'm Level 34).

There was a Bounty Hunter doing the same set of quests i was doing, but i went to go turn in, whilst he went to kill another mob. As i was approaching the turn in area i saw a Red Name on a speeder heading in the direction of said Bounty Hunter so i gave pursuit and stealthed up (i'm a Darkness/Tank Assassin) when i got near.

Got back to the BH but couldn't see visibly see him, so i just wandered around the area more and managed to see a Shadow cloaked waiting for him to finish the current mob he was on.

Initiated on the Shadow and started beating on him. At around 30% HP he tried in-combat Stealthing and ran away but i caught sight of him again and chased him down for the kill.

Yes, i was overlevelled for the world, but he was Level 30 and trying to gank a Level 27... i call it a taste of his own medicine.

=]

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Brilliant, makes me want to go out and buy the game; oh wait I already have :)

18. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

Just unlocked my legacy but I'm struggling to think of a name for it. :S

Though it was fun to;
    Battle a Jedi Master till he unleashed his dark side, then torture him till his padawan came, and then turn her to the dark side and make her kill him!

I love been the dark side. :thumb:

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Didn't know you could turn her ;o.

I played lightside Juggernaut in beta and it was fun
    to show her that you were more lightside than her own Master. Then recruited her in helping me change the Empire from within

The Sith Warrior story admittedly is very very good in terms of political intrigue... much more than the Inquisitor story that i'm currently playing through (although that has its own twists and turns which are fun).

20. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Its just too expensive for me right now, the game on its own let alone the subscription i am interested in getting it though l