1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Have you ever played a Bioware game before? The story is what makes them special.

You can boil any game down to its elements..go here, do this, acquire that, kill stuff, level up..that doesn't make it bad. You could quite easily say any RPG game is just a chain of quests.

If you don't like games with story, then this MMO is not for you. If you do like an actual story, a proper story, then quit trying to find fault with a game you clearly know next to nothing about.

2. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Not trying to find a fault with the game, like i said i hope it does turn out to be amazing.
    Many MMOs have said they offer an actual story and have turned out to be the same old grind.

Il assume the worse and with any luck i will be pleasantly surprised.

and yes i have played many bioware games, none of them MMO's thou.

3. Fizzban

Ah ok. I think you will enjoy the game then. I don't expect certain aspects to be anything new, but the companions are very customisable, the crafting looks interesting, hutt ball looks fantastic fun and then there is Bioware story telling. I can't wait! I'm even looking forward to the on rails shooter part of the game. :D

4. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

Im a bitter SWG vet lol and was there every step on the way, every horrible game design decision they made *shudders*
    But i agree with your point thou, just because they butchered SWG doesn't mean you should go around bashing SWTOR and demanding a SWG2.

If they manage to make the combat fun and make an epic story like only Bioware can, then il be a happy bunny. Just not sure how they can pull it off, every MMO i have played has had the story of a dead dried up fish.

5. viewasjack

viewasjack What's a Dremel?

Played SWG for a couple of years before all the updates and game changes. Still, even after all that, SO hyped for this game...

6. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Yep, been following this for a long time, I was a big SWG fan until they ruined it also. Massive Bioware fan. Two months seems like an eternity!

7. Fizzban

I walked into a Game store (as in Game) today to kill some time, and SWTOR was number one in their games list. TOR is not even released (every other game in the top 10 was released). Rage was 3rd. All I can remember to be honest. Looking good for TOR though. If they have sold that many pre-orders to outweigh everything else at this point, it's a good sign of a busy release.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  8. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Per month subscription? No thanks, I dont care how good the game is, its ultimately a game. And paying for it over and over and over? I dont think so. I've never fallen for the per month fee's and I dont plan on starting.

9. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I'm still disappointed by the limited Preorder options though.

I'm not going to fork out £130 for a Statue that i wouldn't care about, however all the supplementary materials (Soundtrack, Game Discs, Authenticator) are exactly what i'd want.

As such i wish they'd release an £80 Edition with everything but the Statue (a la Halo's "Legendary Edition" - Statue and the "Collector's Edition" - Non Statue).

The £60 Digital Deluxe doesn't quite have enough IMO, but it doesn't mean i haven't chosen it. Not to mention downloading the entire game will be a ton of effort (current client size is 27GB).

Am hoping that the Collector's Edition will quickly come down in price so i can pick up a Hard Copy of the game relatively soon.

10. Fizzban

Yeah I was very disappointed. I want a hard copy, but I can't afford the CE. So I had to settle for the standard. I don't see why the pre-ordered standard editions didn't come with the extras the digital version did. To me it looks like EA trying to push Origin. Everyone who pre-ordered should have been rewarded with more than just early access (which amounts to a few days and in the long run is meaningless) and a colour stone :(

11. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Just wish I could get a BETA invite soon!

12. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Back home finally.

No clues to what i'll be getting up to ;) =].

13. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

if you got a beta invite, I really do hate you.

Not sure what to think about this game personally, could be abig letdown

14. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Nah.

Much better, Game Testing program ;).

Beta invites are normally for a weekend, Game Testing is over a much longer period of time.

15. Fizzban

You jammy sod! I hope you're enjoying it immensely.

16. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Reliable source has informed me that he is very impressed with the scale of the game so far. He played WoW for years and years and he says that this looks to be a very solid contender. Plenty of storyline for each class.

17. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I was going to make some long explanation on my thoughts from Game Testing, then redact anything that broke the NDA and make it seem as if it was due to the Imperial Intelligence Network.

However after considering how much time it would take away from testing the game, i decided against it.

:p

18. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Were you as frustrated as I was this past Sunday? Can't test when the server crashes. Funny reading all the rage posts though on the community forum. :D

19. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Shhhh... i think that's part of the NDA :p.

But it was annoying since i was planning on getting my [redacted] for my [redacted] before i left to head back to Uni.

However just as i'm typing my new laptop arrived ;).

Last edited: 18 Oct 2011
  20. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Apparently press embargoes were lifted meaning quite a few sites have been allowed to voice their opinion from the beta.

You can find a summary of their opinions here: clicky.

Unfortunately the general NDA for testers hasn't been lifted so i can't comment or compare any of that to my experience.

However i will say i do like this quote ;):