Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by random2k4, 13 Mar 2018.
I'm the only one here that can consider it 'some' sanding.
Couldnt finish the X-Wing in time for the CMWS but you can now vote for my monitor at the Viewsonic community voting. (Number 4 )
You can also win a nice monitor just by voting.
Any x-wing updates??
I really admire the 3d- file creation behind this- can´t wait seeing you going on with this awesome project.
Yeah, still a lot of work to do.
At the moment, I am finishing two other projects, the WOPR and another one (worklog soon).
Will be on a break soon, but will go back to this project in October
Something still going on here? Cant wait to see more updates on this one.
So finally after a while another update on the X-Wing.
I started now to glue all the pieces for the wings together.
Used some metal pins to ensure more stability. I used 2k epoxy glue to get
a very good bond. To make sure every thing will stay in place while drying,
I used some clamps.
After I let the epoxy dry for one day, I ended up with the entire wing.
As you can See, I already included some wires to controll the light later.
And ofc a short test if the upper and lower wing fit together. Looking good so far.
Yay! it's back.
Next, I built the cockpit, that will be openable at the end.
And one pic with the mobo in place.
Then also the body got some layers of spray filler.
Now that all small imperfections are visible, I started to apply body filler to those areas.
After the spot putty was dry, I wet sanded the entire body and masked all areas to prepare it for priming.
And the primer.
Followed up with a first layer of paint. The color is called German Panzer Grey
After a thin layer of clear coat it really looks nice, and it is not too dark.
So I have enough room for a weathering later.
While the paint and clear coat on the body dried, I started working on the weapon part.
I started also with a layer of primer, and dabbed on some silber paitnt.
After a quick masking, those parts also got some Panzer Grey.
Then, I started with a first quick weathering. Don´t worry, I will add more layers later.
But, I want sp see all parts, before going further.
The front got also some attention already.
Next, I added some more color to the exhaust. So it looks like its actually used.
For the wings, I masked all the areas for the next layer of orange color.
If you are interested, its a 50:50 mixture between Beasty Brown and Bloody Red from Vallejo Game Color.
Some more grey details were added. The front part of the turbine was dabbed with silver color to achieve
a more used look.
The body also became a orange and grey layering of color.
Awesome. Also RIP, carpet.
After a quick weathering with just some acrylic silver paint and a black wash, it was time for a
test assembly. Some parts are still missing, but now the X-Wing was ready to be shown at an event for the first time.
So we wrapped up all parts and sent it over to Dallas for the Solidworks World.
We made a short video about the convention, showing some of the making-of process already.
Full making-of is coming soon.
This is a fantastic build, love it! I’ve always been partial to the original X-Wing design myself...even did up plans 20 years ago to build a 4 foot model of one from scratch, but never did. Now this log is making me want a 3D printer...
Love this build man. It's just perfect!
Fantastic work...as always,... I wish you to grab one of those new A1 printer and save some sanding time
That is so amazing. I love the paint job!
Finally, after decades another update on the X-Wing.
To finish the project for the CMWS this year, I started to add a little bit more details.
I made some inserts for the turbines. And because I needed 4 of them I just thought it would be
a nice idea to try some mold making and casting.
I made a simple one part mold and casted the 4 pieces in Smooth Cast 300.
After some sanding, I could prime and color the parts.
They were glued into the turbine.
For the inner side of the wings, I also wanted to add details.
First I build something that should look a bit like an engine part.
Then I printed, cut and casted a lot of small parts for even more details.
They were partly combined into bigger pieces before adding a couple layers of spray filler.
After a quick wet sanding, all parts were painted.
And ofc installed. Here you can see a before and after.
I also added some details to the top part of the wing.
Lovely. That hiatus was not so bad.
Although the final pictures for the CMWS are already around the internet, I dont want to rush the worklog now
In some designs, the T-70 X-Wing has another turbine/exhaust part at the back directly in the middle.
So I wanted to resemble this also. And ofc 5 exhausts look better then just 4.
I designed a simple part and 3D printed it. After some sanding you could really see the final form.
I found this small Cooler Master 60mm fan in a random box. I thought why not put it inside the exhaust.
Looks OK so far.
Then the part was painted in the same style as the other exhaust parts from the turbines.
Also the fan was glued into place.
at the end I made a first test fit on the main body.
Separate names with a comma.