1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress StarCraft 2 - Day Zero (Terran) by Envious Mods (COMPLETED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by EnviousMods, 27 Apr 2015.

1. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I spent some time today in CAD in order to work on adding the Blizzard logo to the side panel. I also took some time out to test out actual colors that are going to be used. Primarily white, black, shades and red will be used. The red could be switched for blue. Tomorrow I will add a couple pics of it with blue so you can see the options I'm debating.

CAD Updates: Test Colors (Red)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Today I decided to put the PSU extension plug and plate in Sketchup so that I could get an idea of what it will look like when it's mounted. I also took some extra time to see what it might look like in blue instead of red. Currently I've also been debating on what to put on the inside panel that covers the optical bay. One of the more popular ideas was to put the Blizzard logo. Blizzard did a great job on the StarCraft line-up so I think it would be proper to pay homage to them. I think the mounting location for the PSU extension plug works well. It's in a convenient location and the panel design matches the larger panel that was created to fill the stock PSU mount. I took a decent amount of screen shots so that you can see all the new, exciting additions that will be built over the next few days.

Design Additions & Updates:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

This shows the actual panel VS the CAD design with the new panel added:

[​IMG]

3. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

It is time for me to install the new custom case feet. I am a big fan of building one off feet for my builds; like the tri-auto leveling skids on my Dark Side case. Case feet serve an aesthetic purpose as well as help keep your case up off the ground. Depending on the setup, this can help keep the case a bit cooler as well as protect the bottom of the case.

Landing Pad Case Feet:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I used some rubber rings I salvaged off of some old rollers. They have a slight intended overhang on the bottom portion which helps them stick to whatever surface they are on. This will be especially important due to the semi-slick and easily scratchable surface that the case will eventually be on. The look of the feet fit in with the theme perfectly. A lot of the Terran buildings in Starcraft have round, “landing pad” feet.

Custom Case Feet:

[​IMG]

4. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I took the plunge and cut out the back piece so that the PSU power extension plug panel could be mounted. After test mounting the new plug I went ahead and painted it to match the rest of the case. My favorite part about the new panel is the curved backplate which helps hide the wiring that comes out the back. I previously soldered on disconnect-able cables. This allows you to easily detach the extended power cable to either replace or during mobo work/upgrades. The cross brace that runs above the mobo tray has a built in conduit that the power extension runs through. That way you don't see much of the extension.

Panel For PSU Extension: Freshly Painted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A good portion of the cable management has been figured out but, there is still a decent amount of planning required for the PSU that will be going in this case. This is the first case I've extensively built for hardware that I've only seen detailed pictures of. Luckily PSUs have general classifications of sizes. However, fan locations and cooling configurations are not always the same. I have a free space in the upper rear of the case that will be used to help with proper cable routing etc. The panel mounted on the case perfectly. All these little details are almost finished so that I can move on to the side panel.

New Panel & Plug: Mounted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I have started work on the (left) side panel that has 2X120mm fans mounted vertically. The main purpose for adding the fans is to cool the GPU stack. The airflow pattern on this case has been well thought out because it will be an all air setup. As you may know I'm a big fan of air cooling. If done correctly it can more than fulfill the requirements for cooling. Reliability is also a factor; pumps go out and adding a lot of water cooling raises the odds of a catastrophic failure. Water cooling is great for a lot of setups but, this isn't one of them.

Creating The Template:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I started out translating the design from sketchup to a large piece of hard stock. Hard stock works great for making templates. Once I have the completed template, I will cut the hard stock out I will use it the lay over the side panel. This will give me a chance to make any minor changes that may be needed. After the template is finalized, I will need to cut it out.

Right Side Panel: Designs

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As you may have noticed, I haven't posted any pics of the right side panel. Up until recently I only had a basic idea of how I was going to do it. I played around with about 5 different versions before the one pictured below. A lot of people might just do a mirrored version of the left panel but, I'm all about doing something original. There are a few small editions to the design that I will make down the road but, I am very happy with how it turned out. Like the rest of the cases design files; all colors are subject to change. Some shown in the CAD designs may or may not be used.

6. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I've been working away on making templates for the 4 pieces that make up the right panel. I haven't completely decided on what materials I will use the make the panels but, I might cut them out of stainless steel which would look pretty sweet. The stainless steel that I will more than likely use has been salvaged. It will clean up easy and the thickness is perfect for the new panels.

CAD Design: Right Panel

[​IMG]

Right Side Panel: Template

[​IMG]

Stainless Steel: For Panels

[​IMG]

7. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Over the last couple of days I've finished painting the IO case plate and the mobo tray. I decided to try out painting the mobo tray flat white and it turned out great. Most of the front side will be covered when the motherboard is installed but, the little bits of white will make a great contrast.

Mobo Tray: Painted Flat White

[​IMG]

I also cut out a spot on the mobo tray. This was done so that the CPU cooler can be adjusted or replaced without pulling out the motherboard. This is a huge plus for those of you who have had to do the task without a cutout.

Cutout For CPU Cooler Swaps:

[​IMG]

Ive started work on the acrylic trays for the SSDs. These trays will allow quick access to the SSDs as well as serve an aesthetic purpose. The top two tiers on the HD cage are designed to fit SSDs. This was done because the original case we started with never had a location to mount them. I will also explore making trays for the hard drive slots as well.

Acrylic Trays: SSD

[​IMG]

The back of the IO cover surround has a blank spot with a few notch outs. It may have once had some sort of cover that once clicked on it. I could leave it as is but, I'm a big believer in small details making or breaking a case mod. I have a bit of 1mm or so thick acrylic. This thin acrylic is great to work with once you get the hang of it. After measurements were taken I made a quick template and cut it out on my Dremel scroll saw.

IO Plate:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I've been debating wether I should add LEDs to the HD/SSD trays. It would look sweet if done correctly. I'm going to figure out a cooling setup first which might give me a platform to add LEDs to. I've also been debating on adding LEDs to the rear IO/PCI/PCIe area that's pictured below. It makes it a lot easier to plug in things in areas that are not well lit. I have the white LEDs to do it as well as all the other required parts. You wouldn't see any LEDs way the case is setup also.

Adding LEDs To Rear:

[​IMG]

This Is What I'm Debating:

[​IMG]

9. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I've been working on a Terran soldier that might possibly go on the inside bay cover. There's a couple different possibilities for mounting locations. I made sure to take some pictures as the process progressed. It was cut out of acrylic using my scroll saw. I also took a but of time to paint match the rear fan.

Terran Soldier:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Paint Matched Fan: Flat White

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]
    I had originally planned to 3D print the letters for the Blizzard logo but, I decided to challenge my scroll saw skills. I made a template for the text, strapped it to a very thin piece of acrylic and started cutting them out. The text in the logo is especially tricky due to all the little detail work. It took a decent amount of time to cut and sand but, in the end it will all be worth it. I know most modders would just throw the design in a laser cutter. I'm not most modders. I want to keep my mods hand made; even though I do know that eventually I'll be the one throwing things in the old laser cutter. For now, hand made is my way. I think they turned out great and I am in the midst of getting some paint on them.

Blizzard Logo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

I have a couple quick updates on the progress made today. It's all starting to come together nicely.

New Blizzard Logo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

New PSU Mount:

After finishing up the Blizzard logo I decided to move onto finishing the new PSU mount. Now that it located in the optical bay I had to make a few cuts to fit it in its new home. It already mounts fine but, I want it to be bolted to the case itself so I added an aluminum “L” channel piece. The channeled aluminum bracket has vertical braces that bolt both to the case and the PSU. This will lock it into place. I'm almost finished with the mount but, it still needs a cross brace, paint prep and paint.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Since this was first posted I have cut the cross brace for the PSU mount. I just need to drill a few holes and prep it for paint. I really like how it has come out so far.

Updated Pics: PSU Mount Cross Brace

[​IMG][​IMG]

PSU Exhaust:

Another aspect that needs to be worked out is the area that will be used to exhaust hot PSU air. As of now the front, top mounted 120mm fan pulls fresh air to the 120mm PSU fan and out the front of the case. I need to make a mesh area for the hot air to flow through. I will spend some more time in CAD so that I can come up with something that fits the overall design.

Cross Brace:

The cross brace that spans the length of the case was also re-installed to make sure it had enough clearance around it. Luckily all my measurements proved to be accurate and there were no issues with the re-install. However, it still needs a coat of flat black paint so that it will match up with the rest of the case.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 22 May 2015
  13. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

PSU Mount Continued:

There is quite a bit of work involved in re-locating the PSU in this case. I chose to move it to the top 3 slots in the optical bay. Since the power supply is a few millimeters wider than the bay I had to cut a portion of the side out and re-build it with this new extension. Ive already finished a good portion of the new mount that the PSU bolts to. This is the mock-up stage where I will roughly mount everything and once I'm finished I will make it all look nice.

[​IMG]

I could of easily done this move but, I wanted to take the time to make it look and function great. Hopefully between today and tomorrow I can get all or most of the move finished. Once I get everything in place I can start working on the extensive cable management setup for this case.

I managed to cut the new extension panel and mount it. The acrylic Terran Marine I cut out on my scroll saw will be painted and mounted to the side of the new panel. I have it prepped so that I can paint it today.

New Side Panel Extension:

[​IMG]

14. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Quick Update:

I finished painting and mounting the acrylic Terran Marine that is mounted on the rear side of the case. It turned out great and was a perfect fit for the Marine.

Updated Pic: Terran Marine Mounted

[​IMG]

15. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Pin-ups and Raynor:

Ive started to do more acrylic work with my scroll saw. The first bit I made is the pin-up girl that can be found on the Terran Marine armor (J. Raynor) as well as the 435. More than likely the case will be distressed after it is completed. That still hasn't been 100% decided yet.

These little add-ons are for those who are die hard Starcraft fans and notice the smallest of details. I haven't completely decided on the mounting locations for these new add-ons but, the pin-up girl might be mounted in the mobo tray cutout (outward facing.) It would look pretty slick mounted there but, I will have to build a quick release mount for it. That way there is easy accessibility for CPU cooler swaps. I have the numbers (435) almost finished. I just need to do a bit more filing to make sure they match the Marine suit.

Cutting the outline of the design:

[​IMG]

Starting the finish work and rear template:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Cross Bar Mount:

Currently I'm working on a custom mount for the pin-up girl that I started building a few days ago. The mount is made up of very thin acrylic and it fits perfectly. I still need to figure out a few more bits before its all mounted.

[​IMG]

Cable Management:

I want to start work on nailing down the details for the cable management. I have a good portion of space to work with, above the mobo tray. I may make a panel that goes across the top portion of the case which would give me a foundation for the cable management. More than likely I will use a combination of purchased and custom 3D printed bits for the actual cable management brackets.

17. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Damn those Blizzard f***ers get alot of free publicity :D

Great build man! :thumb:

18. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

They do make some great games. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it.

19. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Lately I've been working on the covers for the rear of the case. These are the ones that cover un-used PCI/PCI-E slots. There are a few different variations of these covers and the majority of the ones used are completely flat. Luckily I've been collecting PC parts for quite some time. This allowed me to use a combination of two different kinds that fit the cases design cues.

Paint & Prep: PCI/PCIe Slot Cover

I started out by using very fine sandpaper to clean up the edges and prep the covers for paint. Factory made covers are notorious for having rough edges. A bit of sanding quickly smoothed the edges. These will be painted flat white to match the mobo tray. I will suspend them with some thin wire so that they can be painted in my small paint booth.

Getting Ready For Paint:

[​IMG]

Update: After Paint

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jun 2015
  20. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

[​IMG]

Ive spent a good deal of time trying to figure out what I can do on the top of the front panel. I had a few requirements: It had to vent air from the relocated PSU and it had to fit the StarCraft design cues. I cane up with an idea that does just that. I remember seeing a top mounted louver system that could be opened or closed. I thought, why cant I do that on the front panel? Ive made louvered panels out of wood in the past so its not much of a jump to make them out of acrylic.

I took all the required measurements off of the stock front panel. After I had all the dimensions, I used hard stock to create a full size template. Once I had the template it was fairly simple to cut it out on my scroll saw. I used a few simple techniques to make sure each piece was an exact copy. First I sanded/filed the bottom of the pieces to use as a point of reference. Then I put all the pieces in a vise and sanded/filed them so they were all perfectly even.

Building The Louvers:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]