1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News StarCraft 2 doesn't limit framerates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Aug 2010.

1. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

So it makes your card run at 100%? Why is that such an issue? If your card dies under full load you have poor cooling or a dodgy card, it's not the fault of the game. Any game that is GPU limited on your system that runs at less than 60fps (assuming you use vsync) will do exactly the same thing. On my system that's pretty much every game I play, as I only have a 4850. It's even overclocked and it's fine at 100% for hours, never had a problem.

Kudos for Blizzard for responding to complaints, but they shouldn't be taking the blame for badly made graphics card heatsinks or dodgy case airflow.

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

It's got better in recent years because a lot of low end laptops have efficient Intel CPUs, so the fan doesn't even spin up unless the machine is under heavy load. Five years ago though I was amazed at how many people would sit with a laptop smothered by their duvet then express utter bewilderment when it switched itself off. Usually they would then blame Microsoft and say they were going to buy a Mac.

3. TAG

TAG New Member

There was a similar issue with Furmark and ATI a few months ago ...
    Different games and benchmarks stress hardware in different ways. We shouldn't blame the software, the card's heatsinks or the PC's general cooling. What's to blame here is firmware/driver failsafes that should throttle down cards in such hot conditions.
    Now are these failsafes set riskily as high as possible to allow for longer bench stress testing? I don't know but if that's the case it's a really poor tactic that really doesn't help with anything.

4. karx11erx

karx11erx New Member

"Some fans have voiced outrage that such a big and obvious bug, one potentially capable of destroying entire systems, slipped through to the release version."

Isn't the root of the problem faulty cooling?

Well, it's always easier to point fingers at others than to take over responsibility for yourself.

It would be somewhat interesting to know how many of the users suffering from the problem have cluelessly self-built or overclocked rigs.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If true, it helps getting a better score.
    What benchmark programs should do, is pause the process when this occurs, and continue the GPU/CPU/Chipset doesn't throttle anymore. Another thing is that GPU makers optimize their drivers to get a better benchmark score, and also cutting corners to get the highest benchmark. That is why I don't trust or care about benchmark score in reviews. The only advantage, I guess, to use benchmark, is if want to see your own overclock speed increase, or compare an pre-manufactured-OC version of a card with the normal one. But, that's about it. I know that Intel GPU's have fun optimizing their score in Windows Experience Index, which I find that very funny. I saw so many laptop with ATI and Nvidia GPUs that has lower WEI scores than Intel's, while Intel provide a choppy Aero experience on a large external display, while the Nvidia and ATI cards runs without an hitch.

6. sear

sear New Member

This is embarrassing... not for Blizzard, but for PC gamers. If you've got high-end hardware, you need to keep it cool. If your computer is dying because you didn't have the common sense to get a decent case for it, then it's your own damn fault. I thought PC gamers knew how to build computers for themselves; apparently not.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Blizzard had a pretty brilliant reputation back in the days. They hardly ever had problems with bugs due to well planned testing methods.

I was just disappointed that this has changed even though it's not their fault graphics cards run hot.

8. Showerhead

Showerhead New Member

Does this mean that starcraft 2 is the new stress test?

9. delriogw

delriogw New Member

i have to say that attitude in these comments is probably why a lot of people go to consoles.

what if you don't know huge amounts about pc hardware and just want to play the game. if your card is good enough to run the game you should expect it to be able to do so without dying - whether through shoddy hardware build or software issues.

i know enough to understand about half of what i read here, that puts me in the knowledgeable but not uber geek category. pretty much the only thing i'm not comfortable with hardware wise is fitting heatsinks. not everyone has the knowledge or an ubergeek to rely on. and the majority of gamers won't stress test anything.

10. GoodBytes

You know that consoles also fails because of games. In fact their is list of games of all consoles that you can find, that have high reports of the system overheating and failing... hope yours are in the 1 year warranty.

You don't need to. The FIRST thing that is said billions of time, is STRESS Test your computer for at LEAST 1 hour. But of course, people skip that test, like the step about doing backups. And they have to learn the hard way.

You don't have to be genius to know this.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

While reading this I was quite tempted to agree that PC gamers should be more aware of the hardware involved in high end gaming. Every PC should be properly cooled and ready to handle the worst case scenario of 100% load on all components in the middle of summer.

However, just because gamers should be ready for such a scenario doesn't mean Blizzard's free and clear after such a large oversight pushing systems far beyond what is required. I'd be pretty pissed seeing 100% load on a menu just because all of Blizzard's development team didn't think to put a limit on framerates, even if it didn't kill/damange my card.

12. Dreaming

Dreaming New Member

I think an important point is with the race for more graphics power, stability at peak loads has been compromised - because the people who make these cards assume that most people won't run them at full consistently anyway, and if they do, you can just blame the end user for not cooling it / providing enough power.

I agree with delriogw tbh, for the AVERAGE pc gamer, they shouldn't be required to know anything about cooling and all that. The cases are supposed to be designed to vent the hot air, and the gpus are supposed to be designed to do that too. Problem is poor designs - cards that run very hot and dump all the hot air into the case causing it to escalate and heat up.

13. delriogw

delriogw New Member

i don't have a console (well i have a ps2, but that's survived years and years), merely saying that the hardcore attitude makes it understandable why people just don't bother.

and on the contrary, the majority of pc owners have them for other reasons and just happen to game on them. they expect that if a game box says your card will work, then your card will bloody well work.

and these kind of games stretch to all kinds of players. WoW players will possibly check it out, and many of those don't know a HDD from a CPU. some games extend beyond gamers in the normal idea of the word. it's unreasonable to expect people to know everything. if you had a dvd player, you wouldn't expect to have to test it depending on which dvd you were planning to watch. you would expect the hardware to do its job

14. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Pfffffffff... not caping the framerates.. gotta be kinding me

If a card dies for this then its more a hardware issue rather than a software issue... Poor cooling

15. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Deferred rendering, multiple render targets, etc. It's been beaten to death, and there is a very good technical reason for it, even if you and others don't want to read about it for fear of bursting your ActiBlizz hate bubble.

Force it in your graphics driver control panel. The new beta Catalyst has it, so please don't start on the ridiculous nV-ATi SC2 anti aliasing debate.

16. Hovis

Hovis New Member

Yeah, cos this never happened to any of the current generation of consoles. :)

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Agree with this tbh, if a game is stress testing your GPU in a menu or cutscene then it is clearly poor coding. Then again, at least the problem has been recognised and action will be taken, so kudos to Blizzard for this.

18. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

+1 to that. It's the PC's RROD!!! :D

Not Blizzards fault. Although it should have been picked up in testing by a company of this caliber you can't blame them for shoddy coolers or bad manufacturing. It should be up to the card vendors to replace defective cards.

I must admit I was getting a bit worried. I've got a powercolor 4890 and it was making some bloody racket. Seems to have eased off a bit since I applied the frame rate fix.

On a side note. Is AA completley disabled in SCII? There are no options in the menu and it doesn't make a difference when I set AA through the CCC.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  19. GoodBytes

Looks like (I have the GTX 260).
    You can see in the video's the shaggy lines, and especially on the "...: green bubble cursor when you roll-over a character between missions.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I find it funny how blame is pointed at Blizzard for this. Maybe OEMs should use coolers that aren't shite.