1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming StarCraft 2 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 29 Jul 2010.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

£45 for a digital download from the blizard store, £35 from asda, WTF.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Well thank god for that. Having the whole map shown to you before hand and just covering everything with a line-of-sight FOW is a terrible modern blight on RTSs. For this reason alone, I shall purchase this game.

3. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

Yeah, I could see it kinda ruining singleplayer - it was always interesting to not know what was around the corner from you, or how big their base was - kept you guessing.

Multiplayer reveals the whole map then does FOW, but you can't really blame them. There aren't a ton of maps, and generally the maps are symmetrical - i.e. there are just 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 bases, all laid out in relatively the same way, spread around the perimeter. You get a feel for the map layouts pretty quickly, so IMO it is nice to save the whole "feeling out the edges of your base with a worker" step.

4. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I loved the original. Didn't play multi too much because I would usually get smoked. Picked up a copy on the way home today. Can hardly wait to install and see if it keeps me entertained as much as the original.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

£31.50 if you are an employee :p

6. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Might buy this in a few months when it is more sensibly priced.

7. ayreon

ayreon New Member

8. Orionche

Orionche Guest

Finished the campaign and I'm pretty satisfied with it. There are some pretty good missions overall, game feels polished and they seem to have thought about everything.

Please note, marines, marauders and medics (later on, medivacs) are the only thing you need in this game. :) Some missions require air units (battlecruisers or vikings) if you wanna finish it properly, but otherwise MMM tactics that were developed during beta work just fine... ;)

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

For those of you still playing the campaign, don't forget -
    there's a secret mission that can only be unlocked during the Media Blitz mission. It can be unlocked afterwards by repeating the mission, but not after the end of the single player campaign. After I finished Media Blitz, I saw "secret found: no" in the battle summary. Go back and play the mission on casual (select it from the mission archives), and before you complete the third objective, search around for a neutral building. Destroying it unlocks the secret mission, which is pretty damn difficult on Hard, but completely and utterly awesome.

10. giantegg

giantegg New Member

are you kidding? I was amazed that it was so cheap. Here in Aus we regularly have to fork out anywhere between $90-$120 for brand new (and huge) titles like this. I managed to grab a copy for $69. Bloody wrapped!

11. spaceman1

spaceman1 New Member

Love the game but i wish you could play the Zerg in the main game, But i can see it now they will fetch out an add on for the Zerg Queen of Blades.

12. panic_mechanic

panic_mechanic I've never done a mod!

I don't know, haven't played RTS games since the days of Red Alert, Warcraft and Age of Empires and I don't think I want to get so involved in a game again. How long does the average mission/map take?

Panic

13. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!
    20-30 minutes.

14. Altron

Altron Well-Known Member

I'm tired of the ****ing artifacts.

Played the first mission the other day.

I loved Freelancer. It was an awesome game that completely shot itself in the foot. For those unfamiliar, it was a space game that shared many RPG and FPS aspects. There were missions you could go on, and you could make money to buy new weapons and upgrade your spaceship, but the combat was similar to an FPS - you had a view of the front half of your ship, and you could turn and point and click to shoot people. It had a huge universe you could explore, however it had several fatal flaws that killed its replayability.

The story missions were so close together that you never got much of a chance to stop and take a breather or explore. There were about 50 different solar systems, and the plot only took you through about half of them. Of those you visited, you generally only stayed for a half hour or so before moving onto the next one. The plot mission would take you to a new sector, you'd do like one or two generic side missions to make money, then the plot would take you onto the next sector, without exploring much of where you were.

There were over half a dozen different 'races' (American/British/Japanese/German/Outcast/Rogue/Corsair/Civilian), each with three categories of fighter and one transport. They were balanced for singleplayer. You started off in the American sector, where the ships were weak and cheap. You moved onto the British sector, and so on. The net result was that for multiplayer, they didn't re-balance this, so a German, Outcast, or Corsair light fighter would pwn the face off of an American, British, or Civilian heavy fighter. Rather than having each class be balanced (i.e. one race has more armor, one race is faster, one race has more guns) so that you'd get to choose between them, you'd always end up skipping right to the ship that was the best ship in the game by a huge margin, and everyone in multiplayer had it.

Anyway, I'll continue this after dinner.

Anyway, one of the cool things of it was the bar.

When you docked at a planet or space station, there was the usual shop for repairs, shop for upgrades, etc. but there was also a bar. You could go there and have casual conversations with people. There might be storyline info, or useless info, or they might offer you a mission. Plus, there is a spoof news feed. You're an outlaw for most of it, so you get to read opposing propaganda about your escapades in the bar after the mission. So not only do the menus have the same feel as I mentioned earlier, but the 'bar' area is very similar as well.

And the freaking 'artifacts'. I am so tired of them.

Freelancer had you collecting alien artifacts that had some mysterious powers. One specific artifact was a plot element, but the rest you could buy at outlaw bases and smuggle into the main bases to make a profit, at the risk of being attacked by the police if they scanned your hull and saw them.

I started Stalker Call of Pripyat, and yep, there are very valuable artifacts that stalkers collect and sell.

And now I'm playing freaking SC2, and some guy who may or may not have been in the originals (I can't remember) comes up to me and asks me if I want to make some money by finding and selling artifacts. All of my gaming has revolved around finding and selling these stupid little artifacts that don't do anything yet somehow are very valuable.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010