1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows StarCraft 2 torrents loaded with malware

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 1 Aug 2010.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

One thing that's for sure is that, while you've got a point about games being overpriced Rogan, low prices don't eliminate piracy either. At the end of the day, a lot of pirates are just dicks - selfish kids who don't get enough pocket money and/or think stealing something without risk or repercussion is cool. They'll still pirate a game even if it's in Game for a tenner because they're proud of it and think they're better than The Man.

It's part of the reason I never used The Pirate Bay, even in the heyday of my pirating. They encourage and spread this stupid adolescent 'piracy is ****ing hardcore' attitude. Those are the people that ruined the goodwill gesture Baked refers to, and they're the reason low prices, DRM and/or better products/better perks will never eliminate piracy.

I really take offense when people wave a giant tarring brush around and go "ALL PIRATES ARE EVIL SCUM LOL", because I consider myself a conscientious and moral consumer and I've pirated loads. If it badgers companies into using DRM then that's a shame, but I and people like me are not really the major factor in that development.

2. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini New Member

Lets be honest can anyone here say they've NEVER infringed copyright? Everyone draws their own line in the sand and decides that they're comfortable with doing this (may not be technically legal) and not comfortable with doing that (probably most definitely not legal).
    How many people would really need their 64 or 80 gb mp3 players if all the music on them was bought legally? Again not condoning what people do just pointing out that this like nearly every issue is not black and white.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

I'm sure there's been at least one game release in recent years which developers set out on torrents themselves, with deliberate bugs in it which make it unplayable after a given point.

4. hyder

hyder horrible horrible horrible

I had to download it from a torrent because the blizzard downloader wouldn't work after purchasing online from their website. Everything is ok with my copy.

5. Neoki

Neoki Member

I read that the Setup.exe needs to be extracted from most as it has ppi.exe attached.

6. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini New Member

Arkham Asylum was one

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'm sure lots of people would complain about this, but I think its a great idea. For one, it doesn't harm the people buying the legitimate games. Secondly, what do you really have to complain about - you're not paying for the game!

8. Bakes

Bakes New Member

I thought the Arkham one was simply detecting that the game had been cracked badly?

9. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It's like FADE, it turns a pirated game into a properly meaty demo. If you get to the point in batman where the glide not working is a serious problem, then you should be getting your ass out to the shops to buy that baby. B:AA was one of very few games that was actually worth the RRP.

I just wish that if publishers must still exist, that they spend their money and allocate their resources on ways of combating piracy that are incentive based. Punishments don't work when people don't think they are doing anything wrong, or just downright don't care.

And games are just getting silly expensive. We're getting back to playing Shadow of the Beast prices.

You know what people might pay a subscription for - cheat free FPS games. Good luck with that one.

Last edited: 3 Aug 2010
  10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I, personally, don't give a crap about DRM.

If I want something, and yet don't want it enough to give someone some money for it, I'll have it.

I've not pirated a game since.. Err... Rainbow Six Vegas 2, which I maintain was morally okay, as I had three copies on Xbox 360, one on Ps3, and a pirated copy on PC (Incidentally, recently replaced with legal copy).

Prices going up won't drive me to piracy, especially given that (In my old age I'm told) I've decided I don't have the time or inclination to play as many games as possible, so I'll only hand over my precious spare time to games I genuinely want to play. As such, I don't care about spending 40-50 GBP a month on a game. It's just not that big a deal.

Granted, if you're buying a major release every week, your wallet's going to be hurting, but that's simply not my problem :p

I agree, though, that DRM isn't the right way to go about it. I don't see it as "punishment" because it's never really interfered with my gaming, but I do see it as rather.. Archaic. With the advance of multi-player centric games, the developers, and publishers, need to co-operate to provide a package for each game that makes people WANT the extra features that're online dependant. Free DLC is not the answer, either. I don't give two arses about free DLC, or paid for DLC, if it looks to be WORTH the effort to get it, it's worth the effort.

Make people want every aspect of your products and you'll see a decline in that products piracy numbers.

</grumble>

11. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

they should release some torrents without a FPS cap. lol.

I don't pirate games any more, and to be honest there's that many bugs in them etc that I don't want to. Much rather fork out the £30 for a game couple of weeks after release than download a torrent etc.

12. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. New Member

I'm no saint, GTA IV DRM was trash and it ran better pirated, Call of Duty MW2 nice console port therefore you had it coming.

A game like Starcraft 2 a game specifically for PC gamers should NEVER be pirated. Go buy it, it's the reason you bought a PC. Recycle cans, go without internet for a month, whatever but DON'T EVER pirate games from developers who cater to PC gamers.

Since then I've bought like 2 copies each of both games as presents for my nephews and I destroyed my HDD (overclocking it no doubt).

Pirating is a big hassle anyway and is not worth it.

13. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Funnily enough GTAIV was the first game to totally conquer me; I wanted to try-before-I-buy it but the DRM was so hard to work around smoothly on a pirated copy that I went and bought the game out of despair. Worth every penny vis-a-vis gameplay, but the DRM on the legal title was, as you say, pretty damn bad too.