1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress StarCraft II: Protoss [CM Cosmos] - Nearly completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Koradhil, 22 Oct 2007.

1. Koradhil

Koradhil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

After a couple months of waiting for the new Cooler Master case, I finally got it. I personally went to pick up a Cosmos at Cooler Master's European office in Venlo, The Netherlands. I was lucky because it was the only one not reserved for shops or distributors. This mod will be a quick one, as I want to have it finished before the Benelux Casemod League on November 23 - 25. Sponsors are Cooler Master and A.C. Ryan.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The theme for the mod is StarCraft II which will be coming out in 2008. More specifically, I chose to do the mod in the style of Protoss, one of the races in the game. Much of my inspiration comes from this picture:

[​IMG]

I started by stripping the entire case to the bare frame.

[​IMG]

This afternoon I had some time to pick up some spraypaint at the local car tuning shop. I picked Motip #43250 (yellow/sand) and #44925 (blue) to be the main colors for the case. I started with the basecoat.

[​IMG]

Followed by three layers of yellow.

[​IMG]

Quick mockup to see how it turns out. The parts still need to be varnished.

[​IMG]

Ok thats it for now, tomorrow I'll do some more.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2007
  2. Silent_Enigma

Silent_Enigma What's a Dremel?

This can be good, i will follow this.
    Keep it up !!!

3. brinkz0r

brinkz0r What's a Dremel?

Ah there it is, I've been looking forward to this one :) You're gonna have a hard time to finish it in time, but I wish you the best of luck!

4. Koradhil

I've done it before (Gemini in 4 weeks), I can do it again ;)

5. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Looks like a very nice idea, im a big starcraft fan. so im hoping this turns out well. Good luck:thumb:

6. sik19

sik19 What's a Dremel?

Nice, the typical protoss yellow frame. I will definetly watch this mod :clap:

7. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

looks to be an eye catcher. i'll have my eye on this

8. TNash

TNash What's a Dremel?

I like the contrast between the yellow and is that brushed aluminum? Looks cool.

9. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Subscribed...

10. Koradhil

Its not going to be brushed aluminum in the end, it will be yellow as well.

11. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Nice project, I wonder what you will make of it :)
    Good luck making tBCL finals, I think I will visit so maybe I will see it in real-life.

12. HeXeN

HeXeN Straight from Hell

Alu works well with almost everything ;P even with brushed allu :D. But Are U thinking about cool blue acrylic parts inside :>? (i'm just curious) (And next one mod from U, i'm waiting for updates)

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I agree, the brushed alum and yellow accent look good together, even though you plan on painting the alum later on.

14. Koradhil

Thanks people. Yes HeXeN, there will be lots of blue inside and I got two MeshX Hexx panels from A.C. Ryan as well as a Hexx radgrill ;)

Now I need your opinions on this matter. I want to paint the sidepanels, but do you think I should pick a different shade of yellow for that, or will the same color be fine ? Same color is more economical (saves me another spraycan), but it might be a bit too much of the same otherwise. There will be a window in the left panel and I'm thinking of doing a SC2 logo on the other (not sure though), so it will not be an entirely yellow panel.
    And another question on the paint. I was thinking of painting the top panel of the case blue, but I'm not sure this will look very good. Do you think I should spray it yellow also and paint only the 'grill' at the back blue ?

Last edited: 22 Oct 2007
  15. Stievius

Stievius Industrial Design Student

I would go for a slightly darker yellow -on the side panels- if I were you ;)

16. splashdream

splashdream What's a Dremel?

For the side panel color a nice sandstone(orange-brown-beige) color would provide a nice tie in to the colors in the image you are basing this case upon.

17. Thadeez

Thadeez What's a Dremel?

Why not try something else, to simulate the hexagonal effect of the dome in the picture. Like, laying down a background of the light blue on the sidepanel. Then, put a Hexxpanel on top of it and lightly spray some of that nice purple over it. The hexxpanel will leave it's footprint on there in light blue and voil√°, you got it :)

18. Koradhil

Thanks for the advice people. That hex spray effect is a really good idea, I will think about it.

19. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Great start and a great theme Koradhil - looking forward to future updates.

How are you finding the COSMOS??

20. Koradhil

It's definately one of the best cases I have ever worked with. I'd personally rather buy a Cosmos than a Silverstone TJ07.. (I have both) The Cosmos just has the best features, I absolutely love the sidepanel mounting system. The design remains to be a matter of taste though, I can understand why some don't like the case.

Tags: