1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stardock launches Impulse

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Jun 2008.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

see if you could "give" someone a game you bought that you didnt care for to someone else then I see big issues with that as thats all people would do, one game copy would just jump from hands to hands so if they were to do something like that then maybe make it where it can be transfered only once from the original buyer to prevent such things from happening.

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I gave Brad's Review a read and it's quite interesting the features he wants to implement in the future, such as refunds, which I think it a first for digitally distributed games, and the ability to link many programs (like say, firefox, thunderbird, mediaplayer classic, etc.) and be able to install/update them in much the same way steam does.

3. zero0ne

zero0ne Member

the idea of "giving" a game to someone else is/would be a really simple thing to code in... A simple form to "transfer" "ownership" from one steam account to another or one Impulse account to another. I think that if you asked stardock to do that, they would eventually.

Say person A buys the game from Impulse...
    4 months later, he wants to give it to someone (or sell it on e-bay)

Person B creates an account on Impulse, and on Person As account, they type in Person B and "give" them the game.
    Now the game is removed from Person As library, and instead in Person B's Library.

real freaking easy, and I'd bet Stardock would be more likely to do it than steam (err Valve).

4. Matticus

Matticus ...

The issue with that, is like HourBeforeDawn said. Games could just keep switching hands, for this to be of any benifit to steam/impulse there would have to be a small tranfer charge. Otherwise groups of friends could just share games.

5. johnmustrule

johnmustrule New Member

"there own branded versions" yeah that's awsum! a hundered different docking programs running for all the games I buy, no thanks. Steam rocks because it's compact and simple, I don't need a THQ one trying to run next to a Epic one.

6. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

That would be cool. Their totalgaming.net store has a gift option for buying new games. A friend bought Sins for me that way, entered my account info, and it appeared in my Stardock Central for download.

7. Mentai

Mentai New Member

Why is that a problem though? If it's a multiplayer game and you want to play together both parties would have to buy it, but the other one could try it first. If it's a single player game, then I see it as the right of the original owner to transfer ownership (even though I know that's not how it legally works). Like when I was a kid, me and my friend would alternate on which big 1st party Nintendo games to buy, because they were mostly single player, and $100 a game is a LOT when you're a kid. Occasionally, if one was good enough, we would both buy it.
    I really don't think companies would lose any sales if transfer of ownership was allowed. Besides, you can always just trade login details to play each others games, a more formal method would just be nicer.

8. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

Thanks but no thanks, just sounds like a cheap Steam ripoff to me. One without the well established user base that Steam has and without a whole lot of big title games.

9. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Impulse is the successor to Stardock Central which has been around for years. Stardock might not be a huge force in gaming (yet) but their desktop stuff (Windowblinds for one) has something like 10 million customers.

10. wild88888

wild88888 New Member

i also think that the whole "gift" idea is really nifty. So, I actually got impulse and I found something quite cool...

They're offering full refunds on games that you don't like (I don't think its operational quite yet but will be). Then, you're allowed to buy games for friends (one of the options under Checkout is "This purchase is for a friend") and you can give the game to somebody else. So, although its not just transfering from you to your friend, it's still the idea that you paid for it, then get all your money back, then re-buy it and send it to a friend... a slight hassle but it still works :)

11. Island Dog

Island Dog New Member

Something like Impulse is not a buy-and-sell application for the end user. Allowing someone to transfer licenses really doesn't benefit the developer. If you want to give a game or application as a gift, there are systems for that.

You can read the full release at the link below, which lists many more benefits of Impulse.

http://www.stardock.com/about/newsitem.asp?id=1059

:)

Tags: Add Tags