1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Stardock slams Games For Windows Live

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2009.

1. Jezcentral

Jezcentral New Member

I've just played Batman:AA, and I'm not even connected to the internet. I just chose "Offline" in the GFWL section when I first installed the game, and that was the last I've heard of it. (Yes, you get the "Press the Home button" when you boot up the game and go to the menu, but you can just ignore it and click on "Start the game").

2. rpsgc

rpsgc Member

[​IMG]

Seriously, what a cry baby.

/care

3. Boogle

Boogle New Member

I don't play any GFWL games anymore, they're far too much hassle.

1. Install game
    2. Install GFWL
    3. Update GFWL
    4. Update Game
    5. Hand over lots of personal details
    6. Update GFWL
    7. Play game
    8. Can't play game until account created on GFWL
    9. More details handed over, account created
    10. Update GFWL
    11. Can't play game until publisher account created
    12. More details handed over, second account created
    13. Game updated
    14. Play game, crashes. Conflict with software on PC
    15. Burn game, never been played

Or steam:

1. Buy game
    2. Download
    3. Play game whenever you want

Quite frankly MS and many other publishers are doing their very best to destroy PC gaming. Don't blame them though, consoles are far more profitable. You can charge more, you get more personal details to sell and you can monitor everything they do to make even more money selling the results. It's got to be a massive cash cow, running a console system now. People even pay MS to monitor everything they do and sell on their 'anonymous' data.

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

The he should use Steam for his games instead.

5. Evildead666

Evildead666 New Member

Doesn't steam also have GFWL...?

If steam has NO GFWL, then i'll continue buying on Steam, but I had the impression GFWL was on steam also...

It was one of the MAJOR reasons I didn't get GTA4. Still haven't played it, even though I loved all the others...
    I know SecuROM was on some steam titles, but not sure about GFWL....

6. stoff3r

stoff3r New Member

Steam has GFWL, atleast GTA IV has it, and my mate said it was a hassle.... Anyways, what is stardock? i had it installed on my computer i realised, did it follow some game? i'm guessing CnC 3: kanes wrath since it's my latest install.....

7. bogie170

bogie170 New Member

Microsofts GFWL can go to hell as it sucks So does EA's online service.

Why the hell they just don't use Steam baffles me, Valve actually know what the hell they are doing (apart form overcharging!).

8. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK New Member

Stardock will not be missed, bye

9. Psytek

Psytek New Member

Patch certification is stupid... but other than that, gfwl isn't so bad.

10. airchie

airchie New Member

Sounds good, can you still update games etc without the need to jump through the GFWL hoops?

I didn't realise it was optional in that way. I don't remember seeing the option to work offline. Maybe cos I bought it on Steam?

It does indeed.
    I bought Batman AA through steam and still had the stupid GFWL crap forced on me. :(

Maybe not by you but I for one think they're an excellent developer and are an excellent example to others on how to treat your customers.

11. ffjason

ffjason New Member

I hope microsoft does drop GFWL or at least all the stupid charges. The system is just a complete hassle. Even playing games with a couple of mates is hard work with invites to private games having to go through GFWL.

Impulse is not much better. Although it offers updates automatically it takes about 5 minutes for it to figure out you need an update meaning I can't load my game instantly in case there is an update which i'm not seeing.

Rockstar games' loader is even more annoying offering no benefit from having it open yet forcing you to launch the game through it - why?

Steam is the only one who has it remotely right with the quick automated updates, quick loading, simple standard interface, no adverts crying out everywhere, small memory imprint, ease of use and lots of games. Its a shame you have to use other systems as well as Steam for some steam games.

In my opinion dvd copy protection (SecureROM, Starforce, etc) is a thing of the past and steam is the way forward. I don't want lots of DVD's lying around the house gathering dust. I'd rather have access to my games where ever I am.

I know even steam games can be cracked but companies must see the benefit to dropping the old protection techniques for digital distribution. Now if internet providers (grrr Virgin) would stop limiting me for installing a game or two and actually allow me to play online with reasonable pings at any time of day then I might be a happy man. You can understand why gamers are generally nocturnal when pings are through the roof at all other times of day.

12. ssj12

ssj12 Member

Sony makes SecuROM

13. NuTech

NuTech New Member

I've never had any major problems with GFWL and one thing I really appreciate is the seamless Xbox controller support.

Playing games like Batman:AA or RE5 and having them automatically recognise the Xbox controller and instantly remap all the buttons (and in-game button prompts) is very sweet.

14. Saivert

Saivert New Member

Clearing up some misconceptions:

1. Sony makes SecuROM
    2. Stardock only would drop making PC games if GFWL becomes mandatory. Currently games developers/publishers are free to release games without any GFW or GFWL on it.
    3. Valve's Steam store would shoot their own foot if they denied publishers access to it who has chosen to use any kind of DRM and/or GFWL. Steam just sells games on, it does not dictate the content of the games itself. Remember some years back Valve struggled to even get any third-party publishers onto Steam. Now there are lots.

15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I don't mean to play the devils advocate here but it's getting a little old and now just a fanboi hatefest. I remember my first day with steam, the day orange box was released. More or less the same thing.

1. Install Steam
    2. Hand over lots of personal details
    3. Update Steam
    4. Install Game
    5. Update Game
    6. Repeat Steps 4&5 for each game
    7. Play game
    8. Couldn't play game because steam could not validate files with servers
    9. 4hrs later, enjoyed thoroughly.

I could add at least 8 more steps now that my steam library is 50 strong.

16. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

what's "great" about GFWL though is that the keys can be used many times and it's not game specific.

so you can buy a single GFWL game and download all the rest, then get full online function with all your games.

im pretty sure that's not good DRM.

17. Grimloon

Grimloon New Member

As far GFWL being buggy is concerned and comparing it to Steam, I used to really hate that program. The way the update bar almost seemed smug as it went from 99% complete and a few seconds remaining to 5% and 14 hours - AAAARRRGH! It was the bane of my existence for years but they finally got it right. As far as updates are concerned that's where GFWL appears to be at the mooment.

However, regarding the content management, market place et al the less said the better (i.e. it gets dropped in a very deep hole and buried).

18. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger New Member

Disclosure: My disdain for Microsoft and their evil corporate practices is deep and broad.

I wonder if Microsoft, and the PC community as a whole, realize how close MS is to losing everything. It will not happen on the USA side, but the EU side.
    The EU has been punishing MS for quite some time now and the day will come when MS is forced to allow other European companies to publish OS's that are Windows compatible.
    I look forward to that day, because on that day PC gaming and the PC platform will be released from the 2nd largest impediment to its ascendancy into pure excellence (the first being the backward compatible x86 standard).

Looking forward to a better day in the PC OS world...

Yours in Anti-MS Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

P.S. Stardock is one of the best dev organizations around
    P.P.S. Use steam, it is stable, fast and secure.

19. Chocobollz

Chocobollz New Member

Say that again when you're somewhere in Africa :p~

20. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

A whole lot better off really!!

OpenGL would allow better competition between the Windows OS and other operating system like GNU/Linux and OS-X. Games would be easier to port between systems. Many games used to be coded with both DirectX and OpenGL support but that seems to be largely a thing of the past. Microsoft have done their best to stifle true competition, open standards and innovation in the desktop market...

Tags: Add Tags