1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stargate Themed Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mother-Goose, 19 Dec 2005.

?

What gate should i have on my case?

1. Atlantis

17 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. SG1 - (the original)

63 vote(s)
    78.8%
  1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Good afternoon all, hope everything is alright!

I've been thinking about doing a themed case for some time, but I always run out of holiday time, but not anymore, final year at uni is over in MAY!! WOOOO

Anyway, i was thinking of doing a stargate themed case, i havent seen one out there (if anyone else has, and can find links to them, let me see!!)

What do you think of the idea? cool or completely stupid?

2. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

I think it's a wicked idea tbh.......(Big SG fan myself)

Here's an idea for your side panel.......

Get yourself some thin balsa or Basswood and make a stargate out of seperate 'panels'......if you want to be really flash and clever you could make the Atlantis Gate.....with all the led's (chevrons)......and the center of the gate should be a circular window :)

TheMightySpud

3. Mother-Goose

Its funny you should say that, i was thinking about make a gate to go on the side, i have been looking at iris's, very expensive. Im also looking around to see if there are models of the gate, i say this becuase that is some serious carving required in the balsa wood (or shoould i sad ba'alsa wood :p)

or, as you have said, an atlantis gate, much simpler to build, a ring of balsa with a gradient and led's sunk into it. My electronic skills are non excistant, but its something id like to try.

any other ideas on how to make a gate?

4. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

The atlantis gates would be easer to do with 8 leds and loads of fiberoptics.
    How about a gate on the fron for a fan intake?

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

yeah, that would look cool as gan grills. or possibly a gate as a window border with an Al'kash in the middle etchd into hte plexi.

6. TheMightySpud

TheMightySpud Boy Genius

If I was going for an etch, I'd go for Prometheus or Daedalus personally :)

I had the idea about the Fibre Optics just after I posted the first time but didn't have time to change the post. lol

TheMightySpud

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

The al'kash is better, its more classic whereas the promethies is SGAlantis.
    There is the possibility of 2 seperate mods here that can be done at the samer time.
    See if you can make a GUI resembeling the SGC computers
    (you could cheet and use xhtml)

8. Springs

Springs Boing boing

yes a stargate themed case has been made... this is the link.. dont no if it still works tho... havent seen it in a while tho..

9. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

a stargate case would kick booty...

an atlantis gate on the sizde with led's representing the different chevrons, and a blue UV plexi window circled by UV LEDs on the inside (just out of view) to light up the plexi to simulate the event horizon.
    [​IMG]

and on the front, in front of a white CCFL 120mm fan, have a set of transport rings held in front seperated by thin clear acrylic rods.

gonna need a model puddlejumper as well... as well as maybe a wraith dart thrown in the mix (maybe crashed and embedded into the top of the case)

jeez i could go on all day with this....

10. Mother-Goose

LOL well this is exactly why i have suggested it. it hasn't been done to death so the possibilities are endless. I love the idea of transport rings on the fan intake at the front, maybe a set of 3 i think with the outta most sticking out, and the pylons they are attached to to be lit by LED's.

R I hear what you are saying for the atlantis gate, easier to do, but its the SGC gate i like the most,, but that may not be possible.

As for the active gate window, i was thinking of having the led's around the edge to be blue and white and to be on a twinkle kind of setting, just like a christmas tree, onto frosted persepx.

Now, i know the idea's are goin to be good, and i will be asking for help, alot of it when i get this off the ground, but im defo still in the concept stage until i finish my degree, dont let that put you off, i want to get the concept honed!

My machine skills are non existant, so i may have to contract this out as it were, i dont want to bugger it up, but obviously i want to do most of it myself.

The gate is my main worry actually, how do you reckon i should go about it?

11. Nix

Nix What's a Dremel?

i dunno i think what you should do is have the gate on the front with a psone screen in the center :D

that would kick some serious booty :p

12. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

actually, thats why i said a white CCFL fan to simulate the bright glow of the rung transport system.

and the twinking LED idea would be cool, but i dont think it would look great...

perhaps take my idea with the UV plexi and print out the pattern they use for an open wormhole onto a transparency and overlay it on the glowing plexi.... grah so many possibilities. perhaps contact me on AIM and we can talk? GrihmPhiver is my S/N

13. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

We have an SG mag over here and im sure it would be of use for making templates.

14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

there's more than one

i have seen at least 2 sg mods i'll try to find the links, but they looked pretty sweet

15. Mother-Goose

Whats AIM? lol something instant messenger i take it?

There are many posibilities you are right, and now i do understand why you said said white ccfl fan on the front with the transport rings, makes much more sense now i've slept on it.

I was thinking for the gate window, perhaps getting either the sg1 logo or a season 7 picture of the cast engraved onto it, that why the LED's would pic up the edges and it would glow?

I know that would have to be contracted out, i've heard of other people on here sending bits of perspex off to have this done to.

Im still trying to work out how to do the gate though, its almost as if i need to create an actual gate, well half of one (the front half) I dont even know where to start for that, i know i couldnt make a decent one, If i did the atlantis gate perhaps i could get it engraved onto the side panle of the case?

Out of interest, how much is contracting out the engraving likely to cost?

16. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

If your gunna make a 3d one, the gate or half gate should be made out of plasticardor cardboard but as to lighting the SGA will need to be fiberoptic cus white leds are mega expensive.

17. Mother-Goose

yeh i get that but how am i gonna make a decent gate model from that, if you get me, its gonna look pants, and fibre optics arent exactly cheap are they?

18. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

An orfal lot or trial and error
    Fiber optic is much cheper then several dozen blue&white leds.
    maplins
    1X5mm white led = £1.08
    1mX0.5mm F.O. = £1.08 (probubly get 3 SGA chevrons from 1 bit of F.O.)
    a saving of £2.16.
    For a budget its much more economical. :clap:
    (if your certain members of this forum you probubly could blag this from some ware) :worried:
    HINT - old lazer printers and netwok gear! :dremel:

19. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

oops.. AIM= AOL Instant Messenger

i have MSN and Yahoo too... dragoncast77@hotmail.com and draggon_hedd

20. Mother-Goose

Hmmmmmzy

Yes fibre optics makes sense now, although dont they need a hell of a lot of space behind them?

as for your hint, whats that a hint for? lol and blag what? the fibre optics gear?

Im thinking i need a router (the tool, you know, for doing edges) for working on the gate wouldnt you say? and a dremel for the fine detail on it, hmmm im thinking id be best doing this on MDF?

The prob im mainly having is to make a decent gate I have to have it sloping dont i, thicker on the outside and thinner on the inner rim, how would i do that?